Dennard back with Bengals 1 year $5mil

I simply did not see this one happening.  I am pleasantly surprised and I feel like the CB room is pretty solid.  I liked what the rookie Phillips showed last year in limited time too.  I honestly hope they draft like 4 LBs over the course of the picks this year and hope that a couple hit.

14 minutes ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I simply did not see this one happening.  I am pleasantly surprised and I feel like the CB room is pretty solid.  I liked what the rookie Phillips showed last year in limited time too.  I honestly hope they draft like 4 LBs over the course of the picks this year and hope that a couple hit.

this

I thought he was as good as gone and am happy he isn't.

8 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Good move.  Gives us a solid 4 CB’s.  I know some of you are chomping at the bit to get rid of Dre, but he played well under Zimmer and I’m interested to see him under our new D coordinator.

I don't think DreK is that terrible of a player, I do think he has a terrible attitude.  He was the most penalized player on the defense and is either arguing with the ref when he gives up a play or dancing around like he won the SB when he doesn't, even if the team is down by 20pts and he's facing the back-up QB in garbage time.  He's not the worst DB & maybe the new coaches can straighten him out some, but is it really worth $11m to find out?  I'd say no if I was confident that money would be put to better use on a different player, but I suspect it would just be rolled over to next year and so on ad nauseum... 

30 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't think DreK is that terrible of a player, I do think he has a terrible attitude.  He was the most penalized player on the defense and is either arguing with the ref when he gives up a play or dancing around like he won the SB when he doesn't, even if the team is down by 20pts and he's facing the back-up QB in garbage time.  He's not the worst DB & maybe the new coaches can straighten him out some, but is it really worth $11m to find out?  I'd say no if I was confident that money would be put to better use on a different player, but I suspect it would just be rolled over to next year and so on ad nauseum... 

CB’s are Divas.  Just look around the league, there’s one on every team.  He’ll be better with less Pac-Man around.

5 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

CB’s are Divas.  Just look around the league, there’s one on every team.  He’ll be better with less Pac-Man around.

For real.  I've wondered before what Dre (and the rest of the defense for that matter) would've looked like with someone like Hall as a mentor instead. 

Yeah, I’m intrigued by cap space, but I also want to see what Dre can do without ML around as his enabler/cheerleader/fluffer. And, not to beat a dead horse, but anytime you ponder cutting a player, you have to at least give thought to what the replacement plan is.

1 hour ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I liked what the rookie Phillips showed last year in limited time too.

Yeah he kinda seems like the forgotten guy out of all the CB's.....I thought he started playing well as the year went along and you could see him getting more confident each week, IMO. 

Another forgotten guy, Davontae Harris, will be back this year as well.

Suddenly, with Dennard back in the fold, that position group is looking pretty deep. 

2 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

HEY HEY HEY  Lets give the oline some luvin too.

Best signing by the Bengals this free agency so far.

well done!  :clapping:

I sure didn't think this was any way going to happen either.

It's been said a lot already but in this division, you better have a good secondary. Dennard is a big piece of that. Add Webb and we could be pretty good on the back end.

OK, not huge but makes me happy since CB is shakey.

I have to keep reminding myself the Bengals don't go big outside the team in the first 14 days of FA and not get pissed as same O same O.

Still need help before the draft and we have plenty of cap$ so there is no excuse to hold back if we are to believe in this New Dey.

Archived