Drafting a quarterback

The game is, as it always has been, by virtue of its design, won and lost in the trenches. 

Rare are the players SO trancendent that they can consistently affect the game singularly, and for long. 

Its always all about the lines. Find me a perennial playoff contender that has so-so or worse offensive and defensive lines.

If I were running the Bengals’ draft, I’d have my sights set on Tyree Jackson at the top of the second round.

He’s got more raw talent than any quarterback I’ve seen in a few years.

https://www.draftblaster.com/2019-nfl-draft/tyree-jackson-qb-buffalo/

The Bengals buying Zac Taylor means they believe he was responsible for transforming Jared Goff.

In for a penny, in for a pound...

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

On 3/22/2019 at 7:38 PM, Jupiter Fan said:

LOL, clearly a Buckeye hater. If he's there at 11 and you're not blown away by a great trade you pull the trigger, he's for real.

No, if he's there at #11, you don't even need a discussion about what to do. That's a no-brainer and no matter your commitment to Andy Dalton, you draft the best player you can. He's not going to be there, however. He's too good.

No, if he's there at #11, you don't even need a discussion about what to do. That's a no-brainer and no matter your commitment to Andy Dalton, you draft the best player you can. He's not going to be there, however. He's too good.

I don’t know if it’s the best move long term, but if the Bengals pass on Dwayne Haskins at 11, there might be a riot.

the QB's listed....Murray, Haskins, Lock are the best of mediocre candidates.  They might be getting all the QB hype but the media has to promote someone but I think the QB's coming out next year or 2 are a lot better.  Andy might not be a pro bowler but is decent.  He has 2 more years and is cheap for a starter.  I would wait for someone better.

And as others are saying if you do not fix the other issues it won't matter who the QB is.

Bull if Haskins had Murray’s speed there wouldn’t be a knock on him.

4 minutes ago, gupps said:

Haskins will look SO much better getting face-planted in the backfield then Andy will.

If the first 4 picks go OL/LB/OL/LB I will not be unhappy.

Wouldn't be mad at a DB to make DreSwagYoloTrillHashtag expendable

Bengals are currently 23 mil under the cap. We should have Zach Brown in for a workout to see if he's still fast. If so, sign him. If not, check on Derron Lee. 

Either of those would fill one of our big needs in replacing Burfict. The team probably thinks they are set on the O-line. They would be very wrong about that but they paid starter money to subpar players and won't admit the error this year.

If Haskins is on the board at 11, we should grab him. If not, then White, Oliver, Bush, Hockenson, are good options. We could also trade down and be in the range for someone like Lawrence or Baker or maybe Bush.

I'd be happy if our draft went something like

1 Haskins

2 Lindstrom/McGary

3 Pratt/Coney/Omenihu

4 a CB

On 4/6/2019 at 7:11 AM, T-Dub said:

Historically bad defense, zero starter-quality LB's, joke of an OL..   Sure, why not draft a QB early?

I'm not really wanting us to do it, but you are seeing a lot of teams being able to beef up the rest of the position groups when they have a QB on a rookie contract. The Rams and Chfiefs were very successful this past year doing just that and I assume the Browns will likely follow suit.

I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to kickstart that process and try to get something out of the final years of 18/96/97. The transition could be very similar to the one we just saw in KC. Let a kid learn for a year and then trade their vet for draft capital the year after.

Archived