Best & Worst Quarterback in Each NFL Team’s History (Bengals)

https://thesportsdrop.com/the-best-worst-quarterback-in-each-nfl-teams-history/7/

The Best & Worst Quarterback in Each NFL Team’s History (Bengals)
February 6, 2019 by Raj Nanavati

Best:  Ken Anderson
Worst:  Akili Smith

All of this mentioned in the article should not be a surprise to anyone.  However, we may be witnessing one of our best on the field right now.  The top 5 imho and supported by stats:

1.  (1971-1986, 15 yrs) Ken Anderson 59.3% 32838 yds 197 td
2.  (2011-2018, 7 yrs) Andy Dalton 62.3 % 28100 yds 188 td
3.  (1984-1997, 13yrs) Boomer Esiason 56.5 % 27149 yds 187 td
4.  (2004-2010, 6 yrs) Carson Palmer 62.9 % 22694 yds 154 td
5.  (1994-1999, 5 yrs) Jeff Blake 55.8 % 15134 yds 93 td

In regards to worst ever there are several honorable and somewhat more painful mentions than Akili Smith...  Others just never received an opportunity or were surrounded by worse talent than Akili (if that was possible)...

Paul Justin
Gus Frerotte
Dave Walter
Wayne Clark
Bruce Gradkowski
Jason Campbell
Jordan Palmer
Anthony Wright
J.T. O'Sullivan
Scott Covington
Rob Hertel
Eric Kresser
Adrian Breen
Todd Philcox
Doug Gaynor
Ben Bennett
Scott Mitchell

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/career-passing.htm

It is not just "humble opinion" it is indeed:facts. 

Kenny is the all-time best...but... In an SF2-ian world view, he would not be: 2-4 in playoff games, 1lost SB.

By his metric, Norman would be the best..being 3-2, 1 lost SB. 

The sainted Quitter...0-2. 

But, the #2.. and most despised "average" QB of the bunch ....soon to be replaced by God-knows-who...?

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Kenny is the all-time best...but... In an SF2-ian world view, he would not be: 2-4 in playoff games, 1lost SB.

But, the #2.. and most despised "average" QB of the bunch ....soon to be replaced by God-knows-who...?

I believe everything is an arguable point when referencing "best and worst" players.  ...and if it is one thing I have learned over the years, Bengal's fans will argue with a brick wall which is about as productive as bashing your head into said brick wall...

If we're including anyone that's started a regular season game, Driskell was one of the worst QB's I've seen in a long time.  Couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a shovel.  Reminded me of Kitna with less want-to, but with all of Saint Jon's panic.

Speaking of, it wasn't easy but I managed to dig this play up.  Bills-Bengals 2004, Kitna throws a screen pass to Takeo Spikes for a TD.  Not a typo. This play will forever represent the Bratkowski-Kitna Connection in my mind.  After an early TD and in a game he would finish with 130 yards rushing, Brat gave Rudi four carries in the 2nd half.  Inconceivable! Kitna was a pretty damned bad QB no matter how much he prayed.

Kitna to Spikes TD

Couldn't embed NFL content, but's it timestamped.  Back up about 30 seconds for the rest of that game's follies, including a blocked punt and a flea-flicker TD.

Just noticed the name Adrian Breen. 

Hard to describe this poor soul as a part of the "worst" group. He was 1 of 3 Replacement QB's they used in the strike games of 1987 (Walter and Bennett were the other 2). He started the first Replacement Game in Riverfront that year. I remember him distinctly, as I deliberately attended that game. I even sat in my regular seat in Section 326--even though my wife and I were the only people in the entire section (most of the upper level migrated to the lower bowl--but I don't recall more than 10-15K in the building). The faux Bengals lost to the Fake Chargers 10-9..and the extraordinary Adrian Breen was 3-5-9 but had a TD pass.  

17 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Anderson was by far the best. There were multiple years he was a top 5 QB in the league.  Boomer is 2nd for same reason. Dalton is a distant 3rd. 

Cant really compare stats from different eras except AFC Championships and passer rating verses your peers. 

The worst was easily Akille. High first round pick under old rules set the franchise back years. 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If we're including anyone that's started a regular season game, Driskell was one of the worst QB's I've seen in a long time.  Couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a shovel.  Reminded me of Kitna with less want-to, but with all of Saint Jon's panic.

Speaking of, it wasn't easy but I managed to dig this play up.  Bills-Bengals 2004, Kitna throws a screen pass to Takeo Spikes for a TD.  Not a typo. This play will forever represent the Bratkowski-Kitna Connection in my mind.  After an early TD and in a game he would finish with 130 yards rushing, Brat gave Rudi four carries in the 2nd half.  Inconceivable! Kitna was a pretty damned bad QB no matter how much he prayed.

Kitna to Spikes TD

Couldn't embed NFL content, but's it timestamped.  Back up about 30 seconds for the rest of that game's follies, including a blocked punt and a flea-flicker TD.

Great stuff.  Wyche once managed to catch his own pass for a reception.  Driskell's measurables were poor but not in the bottom 10 bad. 

4 hours ago, Numbers said:

Great stuff.  Wyche once managed to catch his own pass for a reception.  Driskell's measurables were poor but not in the bottom 10 bad. 

Thanks! I don't know Driskell's stats or combine numbers but on the field he looked to be either overwhelmed or wishing he was anywhere else.  Neither of which I could honestly fault him over.

Shouldn't include designated back-up QBs in the discussion.  As far as starters, I can't help wonder what 2004 would've looked like if Carson had started at least half of '03.

Point being; there are 10 worse Bengals starting QB's than Kitna?

Brett Favre's first NFL completion was to himself on a tipped ball.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Anderson was by far the best. There were multiple years he was a top 5 QB in the league.  Boomer is 2nd for same reason. Dalton is a distant 3rd. 

Cant really compare stats from different eras except AFC Championships and passer rating verses your peers. 

The worst was easily Akille. High first round pick under old rules set the franchise back years. 

QBs are not measured by championships, teams are.  Passer ratings, completions, passing yards, etc.... are QB measurable items (closest one can get anyways without being too subjective).  Dalton is 2nd in measurables versus other QBs like it or not.  No statistical site or person in the NFL "measures" QBs that way.  Akili was the worst (not based solely on his measurables) that set the franchise back IMHO because we didn't take the Ditka trade and not necessarily because of the reasons stated in numerous other articles.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Thanks! I don't about Driskell's stats or combine numbers but on the field he looked to be either overwhelmed or wishing he was anywhere else.  

It's probably not fair to include back-up QB in the discussion.  As far as starters, I can't help wonder what 2004 would've looked like if Carson had started at least half of '03.

The great "what if" for me is with Greg Cook.  A torn rotator cuff cut his promising career short. 

3 hours ago, Numbers said:

QBs are not measured by championships, teams are.  Passer ratings, completions, passing yards, etc.... are QB measurable items (closest one can get anyways without being too subjective).  Dalton is 2nd in measurables versus other QBs like it or not.  No statistical site or person in the NFL "measures" QBs that way.  Akili was the worst (not based solely on his measurables) that set the franchise back IMHO because we didn't take the Ditka trade and not necessarily because of the reasons stated in numerous other articles.

QBs are measured by how they play in big games.  Anderson rose to the occasion, Dalton shit himself.  

46 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Worse quarterback in Bengals history was Mike Brown when he was a quarterback at Dartmouth.

I think head butting the wall, left hand throwing, interception machine Gus Frerotte might make Mike Brown look good... 😜. On second thought I would have loved to see Brown play behind one of our mid to late 90s lines.  We'd have less to worry about today... 1/2 :ninja:

TBH...short of Munoz, there wasn't anything extraordinary about the '88 line--they just all played as one unit. Reimers was big/mean, but had the movement skills of a phone booth. Kozerski was smart and agile, but not particularly quick or strong. Montoya was strong and aware...but limited in space. Walter was tall with a seriously huge wingspan, but didn't mirror rushers well (fortunately for him, he would get those mitts on guys, and it was over). 

Like i said, their best attribute, was playing as one unit. No defense fooled them at all. 

Add in a great running game, and yes, our Andy would have done just fine. 

34 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

While we're playing what-if;  Dalton behind the '05 or '88 offensive lines.

05:  Dalton is crippled and ends up playing for the Cardinals after racoons throw trash in his yard and Dalton impregnates his offensive lineman's wife...

88:. I think Dalton and Sam Wyche would have won this one because Coslet (OC/QB/WR Coach) would have been a better match than Coslet was with the Prima Donna (Boomer, oops I'm not going to Disney, Esiason).  Stanley Wilson would still have been Stanley Wilson and Craig would still have broken Krumrie's leg.

I'd slot Dalton 5th behind Anderson, Esiason, Greg Cook & Palmer.  Had he not been injured (or at least injured in a time where his career could've been saved), I fully believe Cook would at least be pushing Kenny.  Cook had the kind of talent to have been in the All-Time NFL Greats strata.  Sadly, we'll never know.  Probably the biggest heartbreak in Bengal History

In the worst Category, I think you'd have to put David Klingler & Jack Thompson in contention.

4 hours ago, snarkster said:

Remember this one.  Classic Ken Anderson/Paul Brown.  Really loved Ike.

Great stuff.  Kind of a future shot of what was to come at the 21:15 mark.  '81, '88 ('20 ?) …  Coslet brings up good memories ('88 season) along with the bad (as Head Coach).

bengals01.jpg

Archived