Zac Taylor at the Owners meetings

New Bengals coach Zac Taylor spent an hour with the media at the NFL's annual meeting on Tuesday. Taylor raved about Bengals owner Mike Brown and said Brown wants to win more than anything. He said the relationship was something different because he talks to him every day and doesn't think there are many owners that basically have an open door policy. "Can you imagine (taking a step back)? It’s something you done every day of your life. I would never want to walk away from it. I wouldn’t want it any other way," Taylor said. Taylor said he didn't know how many coaches talk to their owner every day, but said his previous experiences were different. "The two I worked for previously didn’t live in that city," he said. "Obviously probably not talking every day if you live elsewhere. And they were great owners. But they lived elsewhere."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059207-4

Zac Taylor was asked his philosophy on the usage of Joe Mixon, especially in light of Todd Gurley's usage with the Rams. Taylor said "I think it’s important for any back to be their freshest in December. You have to find ways to make sure we’re getting the most out of each back doing what they do best. And when we’re ready to make a run late in the year, you can still lean on those guys. I haven’t been with Joe to know how his body holds up over the course of the season. He seems like a pretty thick guy that does a good job holding up. Any wear and tear on any back in this league, I think it’s been well documented it takes a toll on these guys. You want to find ways to make sure everyone gets through the season as fresh as possible."

28 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Maybe Mike Brown can rent his basement to Zac and his family.

This whole "Mike Brown really wants to win" is getting really old. 

Wanting something and doing what is necessary to get what you want are not the same thing. 

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

New Bengals coach Zac Taylor spent an hour with the media at the NFL's annual meeting on Tuesday. Taylor raved about Bengals owner Mike Brown and said Brown wants to win more than anything. He said the relationship was something different because he talks to him every day and doesn't think there are many owners that basically have an open door policy. "Can you imagine (taking a step back)? It’s something you done every day of your life. I would never want to walk away from it. I wouldn’t want it any other way," Taylor said. Taylor said he didn't know how many coaches talk to their owner every day, but said his previous experiences were different. "The two I worked for previously didn’t live in that city," he said. "Obviously probably not talking every day if you live elsewhere. And they were great owners. But they lived elsewhere."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059207-4

So, therein lies the secret of the Bengals becoming a successful team....

Mike Brown needs to move out of town.

:shrug:

Still glad they are finally going in a new direction.  The stale, conservative Marvin regime needed to go and at least they brought in an outside coach with an offensive background.  Do I feel very good about Taylor hiring Turner as oline coach or the re-signing of Bobby Hart?  No I do not.  The same goes for the process of hiring a defensive coordinator.  It didn't inspire very much confidence.  There have been plenty of moves this offseason that will be second guessed.  I'm sure some them will also work out favorably.  We still have the draft coming up to add pieces too.  It will be interesting to watch it play out and I'm reserving judgment until we see results on the field.

"When we looked at the free agent OT market, it was like.. damn! real NFL OT's are expensive! So Bobby Hart, y'know, started looking pretty good by comparison."

10 hours ago, Griever said:

Mike Brown wants to win...his way

And that is the problem...

Exactly.  He wants his Redeeming/moralizing to be vindicated.  If winning means change, well..  we're gonna be "competitive". 

While we're on language, also note Taylor repeatedly using the word "comfortable".  That translates to "I am powerless to change this and am very well-compensated."

His plan to preserve Mixon for late in the season should pay off by giving fans a reason to tune in after we're eliminated from playoff contention.

...and yeah Kenny I know I should just enjoy the rainbow unicorn tea party but this guy is starting to sound like a discount Jason Garrett with all the ass-kissing.

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

So then...is Boy Wonder a puppet or a Manchurian Candidate? 

Pinocchio > Raymond Shaw.   Mike Brown can even play Geppetto but would seriously have problems playing Eleanor Iselin (Angela Lansbury).  Mike might be able to pull off a Kim Il-sung because he considers himself a deity...

brown01.jpg.047349dcb95c6bb742637f8a21fd

Tory speaks:

Many people were skeptical when the Bengals signed Bobby Hart off the scrap heap, and he ended up starting all 16 games for them last year.

Many more people were skeptical when the Bengals signed Hart to a three-year, $21 million contract in free agency.

But Bengals vice president Tory Blackburn defended the move, or at least the move in context of the market.

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle?” Blackburn said. “Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at 17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist [in free agency].

“You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. . . . There aren’t perfect options out there. We asked Willie Anderson if he could go to a time machine and come back at age 25. We’d love to sign him, but you have to deal in your universe of options. I think the data would say we signed more guys than most in line with the cap that we talked about. If there are surprises out there we’ll try to be flexible and aggressive, but normally there are no surprises out there.”

There’s a lot to unpack there, beginning with how absurdly defensive Blackburn sounds (Terrell later noted that’s just how he talks).

He’s not the only one to raise an eyebrow at the Raiders signing Brown to a four-year $66 million contract. The year before, the 49ers basically gave him away for 48 spots in draft order (they got New England’s third rounder, which they used on safety Tarvarius Moore, and sent their fifth-rounder back to the Patriots. Also, the Patriots will probably get a third-round comp pick next year for letting him walk). But the Raiders had to have him, as the move was the first one announced, minutes into the legal tampering period.

There’s a difference between not doing a big bad deal, and spending less but still overpaying for a known commodity. Being a reliable Bengals offensive lineman isn’t the same as being good, and they seemed to pay a premium for a guy they had familiarity with. And the fact Blackburn had to go to such great lengths to defend the deal probably isn’t a good sign.

Archived