Zac Taylor at the Owners meetings

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You heard the man; their options were Hart, Trent Brown, or nobody.  Nothing else could be done.

I know you are joking but just for reference here are the current Free Agent Tackles who started last year at times. 

RT Parnell-Jags 65.3 Barksdale-Cardinals 62.5 Bushrod-Saints 62 Remmers-Vikings 59.2 Penn-Raiders 47
RT Schraeder-Falcons 63.6 Veldheer-Broncos 62.4 Clark-Panthers 60.9 Wetzel-Cardinals 55  

I don't have a problem with bringing Hart back at vet minimum to be a backup. He was very clearly one of if not the worst starter on offense though. Locking him up at way more than any other team is not defensible.

There were clearly more reasonable options available. Guys who are vets that aren't getting an absurd salary. Way better players than Hart.

If the goal is to get better you don't keep your worst starters, let alone give them a shiny new deal.

18 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I don't have a problem with bringing Hart back at vet minimum to be a backup. He was very clearly one of if not the worst starter on offense though. Locking him up at way more than any other team is not defensible.

There were clearly more reasonable options available. Guys who are vets that aren't getting an absurd salary. Way better players than Hart.

If the goal is to get better you don't keep your worst starters, let alone give them a shiny new deal.

And on the first day of free agency when every other team is signing these brand new guys and getting excited. 

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Right, I'm wondering who else besides the $17m Trent Brown was available at the time. 

Here is rotoworlds rundown. Trent was the first player signed in FA so everyone else. 

Offensive Tackles

Trent Brown (26) -- Signed 4-year, $66M deal with OAK
Donovan Smith (25) -- Re-signed 3-year, $41.25M deal with TB
Ja’Wuan James (26) -- Signed 4-year, $51M deal with DEN
Daryl Williams (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $6M deal with CAR
Bobby Massie (29) -- Re-signed 4-year, $32M deal with CHI
Kendall Lamm (26) -- Signed 2-year, $7M deal with CLE

Greg Robinson (26) -- Re-signed 1-year, $7M deal with CLE

Jermey Parnell (32)

Donald Penn (36)

Jared Veldheer (31)
Ty Nsekhe (33) -- Signed 2-year, $10M deal with BUF

Joe Barksdale (30)

Chris Clark (33)
Jordan Mills (28)
LaAdrian Waddle (27) -- Signed 1-year, $2M deal with BUF
Ty Sambrailo (27) -- Re-signed 3-year, $14.25M deal with ATL

Ryan Schraeder (30)

Matt Kalil (29) -- Signed 1-year deal with HOU
Jermon Bushrod (34)
Bobby Hart (24) -- Re-signed 3-year, $16.15M deal with CIN
Seantrel Henderson (27) – Re-signed 1-year, $4.5M deal with HOU
Cameron Fleming (26) -- Re-signed 2-year, $5M deal with DAL

Garry Gilliam (28)
Denzelle Good (28) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1.8M deal with OAK
Josh Wells (28)

Mike Remmers (30)
Josh Walker (27)
Ulrick John (26)
Austin Howard (32)
T.J. Clemmings (27)
Marshall Newhouse (30)
Corey Robinson (26)
Cedric Ogbuehi (26) -- Signed 1-year, $895K deal with JAX
Michael Ola (30) -- Re-signed 1-year, $805K deal with NO
Brent Qvale (28) -- Re-signed 1-year, $1.4M deal with NYJ
Chaz Green (27) -- Re-signed undisclosed deal with OAK
Sam Young (31)
Ben Ijalana (29)
Andre Smith (32)
Ereck Flowers (24) -- Signed 1-year, $3.25M deal with WAS

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And his answer should have included an apology for failing to deal with the RT issue in the prior years; they have had multiple years to fix the issue and have failed.

What do you mean? They just signed Bobby Hart long term.  Everything is phenomenal.

2dxsx9.jpg

While I agree that they paid too much for Bobby Hart (especially based on how he played last year), I am actually not completely against it either.  After all, he is only 24 years old and has started most of his career.  I believe that the Bengals signed him solely based on his potential and not his production.  If he does not reach that potential, they can cut him after the first year and I believe, only cost them around $7M, which is more than some current backups make at the position.  While I'm not in love with this signing, I'm actually not all bent out of shape over it either.  I think it is blown out of proportion a bit considering that it is not a fully guaranteed 3 year contract at $21M, like it seems to be advertised as in the media.  Especially if they wind up drafting a tackle that can compete with him this year and take the position next year.

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So in other words, this notion that dropping 17 million on Brown was their only other option is, predictably, bullshit.

It's the worst strawman argument ever, there were several options for better players at a more team friendly deal than Brown.

This just shows the level of incompetence and arrogance that the decision making personnel for the Bengals operate under. 

15 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It's the worst strawman argument ever, there were several options for better players at a more team friendly deal than Brown.

This just shows the level of incompetence and arrogance that the decision making personnel for the Bengals operate under. 

Yeah there have been at least 5-6 different OT's signed as free agents not counting those ultimately retained by their original team.  And you're right, this FO is how you get coaches like Brat or Ketchup Whisperer who think they're going to clever their way to a championship.  Ask them what time it is & they'll tell you how watches are built.  There's only one metric where they could reasonably consider themselves successful and that's profit margin.  The Bengals are their banana stand (think cash cow if you don't get the reference).

Playing devil's advocate, there are some who see Hart as a young player with enough raw talent to be a starter in the NFL.  He has the size and athleticism teams look for and he has a ton of starts for being only 23 going on 24.  Why the results haven't been there for Hart is the big question obviously.  Whether you believe the stat geeks or just your own eyeballs, Hart was well below average last year.  That's just a fact.  It is highly unlikely he would have received significant interest on the open market.  Why the front office seems to believe otherwise is mystifying.  Talking about finding another Willie Anderson or not paying $17 million a year to Trent Brown is irrelevant to the deal they handed Hart.  They overpriced his value and their defensiveness about the criticism they received tells me they probably realize it too.

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Playing devil's advocate, there are some who see Hart as a young player with enough raw talent to be a starter in the NFL.  He has the size and athleticism teams look for and he has a ton of starts for being only 23 going on 24.  Why the results haven't been there for Hart is the big question obviously.  Whether you believe the stat geeks or just your own eyeballs, Hart was well below average last year.  That's just a fact.  It is highly unlikely he would have received significant interest on the open market.  Why the front office seems to believe otherwise is mystifying.  Talking about finding another Willie Anderson or not paying $17 million a year to Trent Brown is irrelevant to the deal they handed Hart.  They overpriced his value and their defensiveness about the criticism they received tells me they probably realize it too.

Both of the current Panther FA OTs are considerably better than Hart and we could have got them at a similar price. 

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They overpriced his value and their defensiveness about the criticism they received tells me they probably realize it too.

That's what chafes about it for sure.  If they'd brought in a few guys for a look, made some kind of effort, then settled on Hart because they couldn't work out a deal for someone better I could live with that.  Even if they'd come out & said Hart was their guy, they think he's a franchise RT in the making and only looked bad in a struggling offense, that'd be okay too.  

Trying to convince people he was their only viable option is just insulting.  It makes me think the bargain bin culture of this franchise is so deeply ingrained that even without Ol' Musty in the picture the mildew-y loser stench will linger on.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You think this team is a dead horse?  Gosh Kenny that's pretty negative.  Have you tried meditating?

I do meditate.  It helps to keep me sound when dealing with people that are not that intelligent.  Present company excepted.  😂😂

5 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

I do meditate.  It helps to keep me sound when dealing with people that are not that intelligent.  Present company excepted.  😂😂

Hey at least you're admitting that the horse is dead! That's progress.

Archived