The Bengals should trade for Darron Lee

5. Lee is going ... going: The future of linebacker Darron Lee will become a hot topic as we get closer to the draft. He became expendable when the Jets signed C.J. Mosley to a blockbuster contract. Publicly, the Jets will say they can find a role for Lee, who actually improved last season, but the sense I get is they will shop him during the draft. If there are no takers, they could hold on to him for a while longer, holding out hope. They had success with that approach two years ago, waiting until June to deal safety Calvin Pryor, another disappointing former first-round pick (No. 18 overall in 2014).

The Jets have until May 3 to exercise Lee's fifth-year option, but that decision seems academic.

Also

3. A trade in the works? The approach in free agency has me convinced the Jets are very interested in moving down in the draft, hoping to accumulate extra picks and/or players. Think about it: The big-money players are gone, off the market, and they still have needs at center, cornerback and outside linebacker. The Jets are telling people they can live with center Jonotthan Harrison and cornerback Darryl Roberts as starters, but I'm not buying that. They're borderline starters. Outside linebacker? There's a gaping hole oppositeJordan Jenkins.

I think Maccagnan would love to bolster those positions in the draft, and it'll be tough to do with only six picks, including only one in the top 68. If a quarterback-needy team comes calling, looking to trade up to No. 3 overall, the Jets will be all ears. Maccagnan really wants to recoup a second-round pick, filling a hole in his draft card. The question becomes, would they pass up the chance to draft a blue-chip defensive talent (Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams orJosh Allen)?

My gut says yes, if they get a second-round choice and a 2020 first-rounder out of it.

4. Pick-6: For the record, the Jets own the following picks: first round (No. 3 overall), third round (68), third round (93), fourth round (105), sixth round (196) and seventh round (217). Only the Chicago Bears (five) and Seattle Seahawks (four) have fewer picks than the Jets (six). Which team has the most? The New England Patriots and Giants are tied with 12.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/79401/jets-historic-spending-spree-122-million-raises-pressure-on-gm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived