Lights, Camera, Action as Taylor Opens Workouts

Lights, Camera, Action as Taylor Opens Workouts

Hobson_Geoff

Geoff Hobson

SENIOR WRITER

151105-dalton-andy-cle (AP)

Darron Cummings/AP Photo

Andy Dalton, who played 120 games and threw nearly 4,000 passes for the only NFL coach he ever had, picked the best offseason of his nine to stay in Cincinnati with a new baby and rehabbed throwing thumb. It has allowed him to watch the physical transformation between the Marvin Lewis and Zac Taylor eras and from the expanded offices to the new lights he has no doubts his teammates are going to know they’re in for a change when they arrive at Paul Brown Stadium for Tuesday’s first off-season workout.

Because it’s allowed by the CBA, Dalton has already had casual interaction with the new strength and conditioning staff that is going to be overseeing Phase I of not only the off-season program, but Taylor’s head coaching career. Head strength and conditioning coach Joey Boese and assistants Todd Hunt and Garrett Swanson have not only been building programs, but they’ve been making sure what’s on the walls and in the weight room reinforces Taylor’s agents of change.

“They’re not telling me everything that’s going on around here, but there’s going to be a lot of change,” said Dalton Friday as he caught the tiny sneakers flipped to him by two-year-old Nash in between shooting baskets in the PBS multi-purpose room. “Just the way we do things, it’s going to be different. It’s obviously a different perspective, a different philosophy. Shoot, I’m anxious for next Tuesday.”

Which is what Taylor is shooting for. As Taylor’s motto (to be revealed in Tuesday’s team meeting) loomed gigantically over the weights, Dalton was all in. And what has impressed him is so are the powers that be.

“With Zac getting here and the whole change … let’s make it all feel new and feel different,” Dalton said. “I think he’s done great. From the day he stepped in here you felt the change. Obviously he had a plan for what he wanted and they’re doing it here. You can see it with all the construction happening here and the way the staff came together. They’re all in for what Zac is wanting to do.”

Dalton thinks this stuff matters. He has an idea what the guys are thinking and he thinks they’ll respond.

“When you walk in the building, you want to see, does it feel different? Does it feel the same?” Dalton said. “There will still be construction going on. But I think everyone is going to feel it from day one.”

He’s not the first player to talk about it, but he has also noticed the players and coaches have more light. And while the renovation isn’t expected to be done until early May, it’s clear that the players are going to have a bright new entrance into the locker room when they come in from the player parking lot.

“That’s just part of it. ‘We want things to feel brighter,’” Dalton said. “From the talking, that was the first thing they saw. It was dim in some places. ‘Let’s lighten it up.’ I guess it gives you energy …. The cosmetics of this place, it was a little plain and (Taylor) had a plan for making it a little different. From what I’ve heard and what I’ve seen, (the entrance) is going to be really nice. I think that’s one thing. When you walk into the building you want it to feel like it’s ours. It’s new, it’s up to-date, its ready-to-go and it looks really cool.”

After 120 games and nearly 4,000 throws, there is some snap-crackle-pop in the air.

“I’m excited to see what it’s going to be Tuesday,” Dalton said.

https://www.bengals.com/news/lights-camera-action-as-taylor-opens-workouts

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Boy Wonder and The Festival of Lights. 

Fresh and New...Bright and Cheery. Fish, plankton, sea greens, and bounty from the deep. It's all here, fresh as harvest day. 

Whe are a jaded bunch aren’t we? I read this and thought back to all the past several off seasons and how “everything has changed” and such. I guess we’ll wait and see. How was it Marvelous Marvin put it? “I hear better with my eyes”?

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Jaded...yeah, I suppose. But actually, more disinterest than anything else. Seen this movie way too many times. 

Well you sure do post about them an awful lot....seems kinda strange coming from someone so "disinterested."

I'll be honest, I am feeling very, very optimistic.  Can't wait to see what they manage to get in the draft (please don't let it be that turd Gary from michigan).

My number one complaint about the previous regime was the 100% inability to maximize what certain players were able to do or not do.  I choose to believe that there will be room for Mixon to run, focusing on getting the ball out quickly & lots of play action is going to make up for O-line weaknesses.  I think they are going to be creative in finding space for Green, Boyd, Ross, Eifert (this is the year he stays healthy), & Gio, and I can't wait for it.

Dalton uses the words "different" and "change" about ten times in that article in case you didn't get the point.  Hobknob mentions the new strength coach and construction to drive it home still further.  The Bengals finally got a new head coach in case you hadn't  heard about it yet.  He's a young offensive coach and comes from outside the organization.  The new regime is going to put their stamp on the building blah blah blah.  Whether new support staff or enhanced facilities will make any difference at all is up for debate.  It's not like Marvin or Lazor set the bar very high the past couple seasons and I think it's fair to think Taylor can do better.  

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dalton uses the words "different" and "change" about ten times in that article in case you didn't get the point.  Hobknob mentions the new strength coach and construction to drive it home still further.  The Bengals finally got a new head coach in case you hadn't  heard about it yet.  He's a young offensive coach and comes from outside the organization.  The new regime is going to put their stamp on the building blah blah blah.  Whether new support staff or enhanced facilities will make any difference at all is up for debate.  It's not like Marvin or Lazor set the bar very high the past couple seasons and I think it's fair to think Taylor can do better.  

At the end of the day, the offense when Dalton was playing was doing ok considering the o line.  The defense was putrid. All the talk about the new coach being a young offensively minded guy sounds good but its the other side of the ball that needs the most work by far.  Honestly, the offense could be fixed with one very good RT and a decent backup (Hart?) for both considering Glenn's injury history.   We need a lot of better players and coaching on defense. 

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

So in other words: if you aren't following the herd, shut up? 

Interesting. 

Oh please. I didn't mean that and you know it.

You said you were "disinterested" in the team, I just think that it's funny you comment so much since you're so disinterested.....that's all.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Honestly, the offense could be fixed with one very good RT and a decent backup for both considering Glenn's injury history.  

Or - and I know this will sound crazy but hear me out - or, instead of hoping an average LT makes it through a season unhurt for the first time in 4 years, and a below average RT improves enough to not get destroyed every Sunday, or at least learns to remember a snap count..  We could, and again - sounds fake, but I checked and we are allowed to do this - we could instead replace them with good players.  Yeah, I know, but it's true, some other teams even try to do this every year when one part of their team is awful. So bizarre!  They will replace bad players with good players, even though it might make the bad players sad to not play anymore!  Boy it sure is a tough world out there!

Now obviously it is much easier and nicer of us to keep bringing back the same guys, hoping that the thing that keeps happening every time doesn't happen this time, and I guess that's cool.  Maybe Hart will be a good football player someday instead of a shitty one, and really what's more important?  The Bengals winning, or the continued growth and development of Bobby Hart?

I know it's a lot more, um.. interesting, I guess, to look at a bad situation and decide it's going to get better because that is what you hope will happen, but in practice unfortunately you generally have to do something for that to happen, instead of just hoping it will. So, we probably won't, but I just wanted to point out that we could potentially replace one or even both of our OT's with solid 10 year starters in this draft instead of wishing on a star.  This draft strategy stuff is all pretty complicated I admit, but we honestly don't have to draft marginal players in the 6th round to cover for shitty ones.  We could instead draft good players to take their place.  Really! You know, if we want to, anyway.

6 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Oh please. I didn't mean that and you know it.

You said you were "disinterested" in the team, I just think that it's funny you comment so much since you're so disinterested.....that's all.

Got it. OK..let's just rephrase "disinterested" with "whatever" or "cool story bro". Pouring lavish amounts of capital on lights and weight room carpet looks Fresh and New...but it really isn't. Optics like this were going on in some shape or form for several seasons past--the weight room expansion was in progress when I took a tour there in 2015.

Yeah I know: money and glitzy things makes the NFL world go-round. I just say "whatever".      

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Or - and I know this will sound crazy but hear me out - or, instead of hoping an average LT makes it through a season unhurt for the first time in 4 years, and a below average RT improves enough to not get destroyed every Sunday, or at least learns to remember a snap count..  We could, and again - sounds fake, but I checked and we are allowed to do this - we could instead replace them with good players.  Yeah, I know, but it's true, some other teams even try to do this every year when one part of their team is awful. So bizarre!  They will replace bad players with good players, even though it might make the bad players sad to not play anymore!  Boy it sure is a tough world out there!

Now obviously it is much easier and nicer of us to keep bringing back the same guys, hoping that the thing that keeps happening every time doesn't happen this time, and I guess that's cool.  Maybe Hart will be a good football player someday instead of a shitty one, and really what's more important?  The Bengals winning, or the continued growth and development of Bobby Hart?

I know it's a lot more, um.. interesting, I guess, to look at a bad situation and decide it's going to get better because that is what you hope will happen, but in practice unfortunately you generally have to do something for that to happen, instead of just hoping it will. So, we probably won't, but I just wanted to point out that we could potentially replace one or even both of our OT's with solid 10 year starters in this draft instead of wishing on a star.  This draft strategy stuff is all pretty complicated I admit, but we honestly don't have to draft marginal players in the 6th round to cover for shitty ones.  We could instead draft good players to take their place.  Really! You know, if we want to, anyway.

You are aware that it took you 3 paragraphs to say exactly what I said in 20 words: "Honestly, the offense could be fixed with one very good RT and a decent backup for both considering Glenn's injury history."

Glenn is a good player and played in 13 of the 16 games last year.  He could have played at the end but there was no reason to with Dalton, Green and Boyd on IR.   A better player than Glenn would be nice but RT needs to be upgraded first.  

Glenn is not a good player.  Glenn is a maybe-ok-sometimes player that looks good compared to really, really bad ones.   My crazy idea is that, instead of looking for a passable back up to an okay-ish, injury prone player, we instead *replace him with a good, healthy one*.   I am not surprised to find this a controversial suggestion, given how this team is run, but I assure you it can be done.

43 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Guys we got a couple potted plants in the atrium!  And a new slogan for the t-shirts, can't forget that.  Golly, things sure are different around here!  Better hurry before they run out of those season tickets!

While on the topic of new slogans,  I found this in an old box in the garage marked, "Lebeau era stuff"

large.trickydick.jpg

Archived