Lights, Camera, Action as Taylor Opens Workouts

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

At the end of the day, the offense when Dalton was playing was doing ok considering the o line.  The defense was putrid. All the talk about the new coach being a young offensively minded guy sounds good but its the other side of the ball that needs the most work by far.  Honestly, the offense could be fixed with one very good RT and a decent backup (Hart?) for both considering Glenn's injury history.   We need a lot of better players and coaching on defense. 

I would point to two factors for the defense performing so poorly.  The first is the collective play of the linebackers.  Burfict was suspended and looked like a shell of himself when he did play.  Brown and Vigil both got hurt.  Vinny and Nickerson were consistently exposed when they played because of the injuries.  It was a complete clusterfuck from start to finish.  The other factor was the change in coordinators.  Letting Guenther leave and replacing him with Austin turned out to be a giant downgrade.  The defense changed schemes and it didn't come close to working before Austin was deservedly fired.  They did play better once he was gone and I think they will play better this year with better injury luck and a high draft pick or two at LB.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I would point to two factors for the defense performing so poorly.  The first is the collective play of the linebackers.  Burfict was suspended and looked like a shell of himself when he did play.  Brown and Vigil both got hurt.  Vinny and Nickerson were consistently exposed when they played because of the injuries.  It was a complete clusterfuck from start to finish.  The other factor was the change in coordinators.  Letting Guenther leave and replacing him with Austin turned out to be a giant downgrade.  The defense changed schemes and it didn't come close to working before Austin was deservedly fired.  They did play better once he was gone and I think they will play better this year with better injury luck and a high draft pick or two at LB.  

They were collectively bad as a unit last year.  In one offseason they all forgot how to tackle.  Point being, a rookie LB isn't going to save us.

19 hours ago, spicoli said:

Oh please. I didn't mean that and you know it.

You said you were "disinterested" in the team, I just think that it's funny you comment so much since you're so disinterested.....that's all.

It’s like he wants a prize or something. His whole shtick has been for quite awhile now to make sure he posts on every thread how disinterested he is. Because god forbid that people who remain fans discuss the team without having to acknowledge on every thread just how disinterested he is. 

You quote Spicoli, then wonder aloud what you think I said, and then fail to notice the answer right afterwards. 

Since you won't ask me any direct questions...I'll ask you: do inexperienced coaches, lights, and blingy locker room things get you all charged up? After they finish 5-11 for several years, are you going to be jumping about in delight, when the next Fresh and New set of fill-in-the-blank-green position coaches come in with a couple coats of paint and updated sound systems for the player latrine? 

Please then descrbe your levels of interest. I'll be sure to quote someone else and wonder aloud. 

You are one of the reasons I barely post here at this point.  It’s not worth it trying to post in good faith when all you do is shit on people trying to talk about the team. Well done, you. If your goal is to make people as miserable as you are, it’s working, so, yay for you, I guess?

my level of interest is - curious. No real expectations - and no desire to shit on other fans of the team.

52 minutes ago, membengal said:

You are one of the reasons I barely post here at this point.  It’s not worth it trying to post in good faith when all you do is shit on people trying to talk about the team. Well done, you. If your goal is to make people as miserable as you are, it’s working, so, yay for you, I guess?

my level of interest is - curious. No real expectations - and no desire to shit on other fans of the team.

wish I could like this post more than once...

he must have been happy with 6-9-1, 7-9 and 6-10 the last 3 years and is just pissy that ole marv is gone.

That's all I can think of..

55 minutes ago, membengal said:

All this reminds me of being in the Army.  Every 18 months we would get a new commander or 1st Sergeant.  Sometimes we were happy to get rid of the old one but nobody really knew what to expect with the new guy.   Until the draft is complete, the secondary round of FA is complete and they have a few pre season games under their belt, it will be a wait and see thing for me. 

Pretty much. I loathed the Turner hire and thought Taylor stepped on his own dick right away for no good reason, but, hey, what's done is done. I am happy to give him a chance. At least it's different. If they fail again in 2019, at least it won't be the same way that Marvin kept failing. Trying something new, I am here for that.

You feel like you’re competing already, even though you’re just in meetings and there is really no opponent.

The opponent is the loser stink from the last 30 years. He's competing against "competitive" football and the Redeeming & the "well maybe Pittsburgh did cheat, but we would've lost anyway." 

Nobody has consistently beat the Bengals as often as themselves.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Well, thanks for the round-about answer. In many ways, kinda interest/little interest/no interest are not separated by too wide a gap. FWIW, I am not miserable--quite content in life, actually.    

God forbid an unknown internet name's series of posts would cause you to not enjoy your past time. If i have contributed to that sort of negative feelings, then I do apologize to you. And, again FWIW, my levels of interest in professional sports in general has been waning over the years, so your perceived concerns or fears about posting/shit-on responses are to be put to rest. Peace.      

47 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

wish I could like this post more than once...

he must have been happy with 6-9-1, 7-9 and 6-10 the last 3 years and is just pissy that ole marv is gone.

That's all I can think of..

Not happy, not unhappy. DGAF in all truth. But, it was a mistake to blow the whole thing up at this point--and that will come home to roost before you know it. 

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Not happy, not unhappy. DGAF in all truth. But, it was a mistake to blow the whole thing up at this point--and that will come home to roost before you know it. 

I don't even know what that means. Did you somehow think Marvin staying put with the same approach and same cast this far into his years with Dalton was going to achieve positive results all of a sudden? I mean, ok, if that's what you think/thought, but I disagree firmly.  Taylor could be a fresh disaster, but, really, so what? I mean, they've been pretty shit the last three years. Arguably, not shitty enough to really get the draft pick they need to cycle away from Dalton if that's what people want. So worst case scenario Taylor is a joke and the team goes 1-15 and they are in position to draft a QB #1 overall next year. Is that something coming home to roost? If so, it would not be a bad thing. 6-10 is pretty meaningless - not really in it and not bad enough to be in position to try for another franchise QB.  

In any event, moving of from whatever the fuck Marvin was doing the last three years is more than fine by me. Leading me to be curious about what comes next, even if it is worse. The Browns with their multi-year tanking showed that "worse" might be a decent path if done right (eventually). 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

The Browns with their multi-year tanking showed that "worse" might be a decent path if done right (eventually). 

The Browns went 7-8-1.  I suppose by Cleveland standards this means they've "arrived" or whatever but objectively speaking they've gone from bad to almost average.   They literally won a single game more than we did with half our team on IR, but we suck and they are a dynasty in the making?  It's pretty weird.

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The Browns went 7-8-1.  I suppose by Cleveland standards this means they've "arrived" or whatever but objectively speaking they've gone from bad to almost average.   They literally won a single game more than we did with half our team on IR, but we suck and they are a dynasty in the making?  It's pretty weird.

I am just going by expectations for this year - in Vegas and most other places they are favorites to win the AFC North.  They are loaded with good young talent and appear to have their QB of the future in place.  They just traded for OBJ. Yes, they have to make that pay off now, but if you are seriously gonna argue that the Bengals are better positioned than Cleveland currently is, we are so far apart that it is not worth discussing.  Their talent base is ridiculous because of a multi-year tank.  So, yeah, if this all goes to shit here under Taylor, at least they can stockpile legit top end talent like Cleveland has. 

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

I am just going by expectations for this year - in Vegas and most other places they are favorites to win the AFC North.  They are loaded with good young talent and appear to have their QB of the future in place.  They just traded for OBJ. Yes, they have to make that pay off now, but if you are seriously gonna argue that the Bengals are better positioned than Cleveland currently is, we are so far apart that it is not worth discussing.  Their talent base is ridiculous because of a multi-year tank.  So, yeah, if this all goes to shit here under Taylor, at least they can stockpile legit top end talent like Cleveland has. 

I would argue we're about the same overall.  Again, objectively, they managed to win one (1) more game than our 2nd string team.  The rest of it is just hype.  Maybe if they are over .500 at midseason I will take them seriously.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Pretty much. I loathed the Turner hire and thought Taylor stepped on his own dick right away for no good reason, but, hey, what's done is done. I am happy to give him a chance. At least it's different. If they fail again in 2019, at least it won't be the same way that Marvin kept failing. Trying something new, I am here for that.

Given the state of the OL I am not sure it matters who we hired as OL coach. This group is a mess and the team has done little to address it. I almost think Turner is a temp hire until Sherman is done with the CFL. 

18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would argue we're about the same overall.  Again, objectively, they managed to win one (1) more game than our 2nd string team.  The rest of it is just hype.  Maybe if they are over .500 at midseason I will take them seriously.

Thats not how it really went down.  Once Hue was fired they went 5-3.  We went 1-7 the last 8. 

They averaged 395 yards of offense the last 8 games WITHOUT OBJ.  They have one of the youngest rosters in the league. 

26 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Given the state of the OL I am not sure it matters who we hired as OL coach. This group is a mess and the team has done little to address it. I almost think Turner is a temp hire until Sherman is done with the CFL. 

Yeah, like I said, I am gonna just pretend Turner isn't a hot mess of a hire. It was just so odd, on the heels of Taylor's accountability intro to make that move. It didn't help my annoyance when Turner stanned so hard for Hart and then they spent the coin on Hart, but maybe Turner will be the T whisperer and get Hart to mediocre. That would help.

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Thats not how it really went down.  Once Hue was fired they went 5-3.  We went 1-7 the last 8. 

They averaged 395 yards of offense the last 8 games WITHOUT OBJ.  They have one of the youngest rosters in the league. 

This.

33 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

IDK about Sherman coming here but otherwise, yeah.  I don't think very many of the assistance coaches were a first choice.

Archived