Lights, Camera, Action as Taylor Opens Workouts

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Thats not how it really went down. 

Um.. Yeah, actually, it is.

They finished 7-8-1, we finished  6-10.   That's one more game.

We had a large number of our starters on IR, including both the QB and our #1 WR.

These are basic, verifiable facts.  I know they are media darlings and offseason world champions, but back in reality? That is exactly how it went down.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

We had a large number of our starters on IR, including both the QB and our #1 WR.

These are basic, verifiable facts.  I know they are media darlings and offseason world champions, but back in reality? That is exactly how it went down.

But the Browns have made more positive off season moves then we have. And the have a GM who is making moves to add significant players instead of just "waiting for the draft and accumulating 6th round comp picks". The one big Q mark for the Browns is Mayfield in year 2 - does he improve or take a step back - can go either way. For us the Q marks are the OL and the defense overall but LB's more specifically. The Defensive system is an open Q, our DC may be another Austin in which case we are in trouble. The OL , well, it is what it is. The Browns GM Dorsey is doing all the right things to build a contender. We are using hope and draft picks to build. 

I would give them a leg up on us at this point, but we will have to see. 

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Sorry, but if you can't properly analyze both team's season in parts I can't help you. 

The Browns started a rookie QB game 3, he went 6-7.  They fired their head coach after 8 games.  The team significantly improved after Hue left particularly on the offensive side of the ball after game 8.  Mayfield went 5-2 in his last 7 games as a rookie.   The team promoted within for their new head coach.  Not dramatic change. 

The Bengals started their 8 year veteran at QB.  He was 5-6 before he was hurt and was outplayed by Cleveland's rookie if you simply want to look at stats.  The Bengals just gutted their entire coaching staff.  Massive change. 

Bengals: 8 starters over 30

Browns: 1 starter over 30

Sorry man, one organization is opening the window and the other closed their window a few years ago when they got rid of Whit and Zeitler.  Will the Browns succeed?  Don't know but they are pretty much done rebuilding while the Bengals are just starting. 

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But the Browns have made more positive off season moves then we have. And the have a GM who is making moves to add significant players instead of just "waiting for the draft and accumulating 6th round comp picks". The one big Q mark for the Browns is Mayfield in year 2 - does he improve or take a step back - can go either way. For us the Q marks are the OL and the defense overall but LB's more specifically. The Defensive system is an open Q, our DC may be another Austin in which case we are in trouble. The OL , well, it is what it is. The Browns GM Dorsey is doing all the right things to build a contender. We are using hope and draft picks to build. 

I would give them a leg up on us at this point, but we will have to see. 

Well yeah, like I said..  They are Offseason Champions.  If there was an AFC North trophy for free agency they'd be running away with it.

As far as actually winning football games, though?  I remain unconvinced

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Sorry, but if you can't properly analyze both team's season in parts I can't help you. 

Sorry, but if you want to argue that simple, easily verified factual statements aren't actually facts because you don't like their implications or whatever, I can't be bothered.

Up isn't down because you have some feels about it.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Well yeah, like I said..  They are Offseason Champions.  If there was an AFC North trophy for free agency they'd be running away with it.

As far as actually winning football games, though?  I remain unconvinced

Nobody is claiming them off season champs. What we are saying is they are making bold moves to get better while this team resigns a backup OT to a 3 year deal to be the starter.  Of course people are picking Cleveland, the have improved their team this off season, the Bengals have not yet. 

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Sorry, but if you want to argue that simple, easily verified factual statements aren't actually facts because you don't like their implications or whatever, I can't be bothered.

Up isn't down because you have some feels about it.

Uhh, yeah your bullshit and conspiracy theories are getting old.  So I assume you have the Ravens penciled in as AFC North Champions because they won it last year?  

Just now, SF2 said:

Uhh, yeah your bullshit and conspiracy theories are getting old.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

2 statements:

The Cleveland Browns won 1 more game than we did.

We had a bunch of starters on IR.

These aren't "bullshit" or "conspiracy theories" just because they don't agree with your take on things.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.

2 statements:

The Cleveland Browns won 1 more game than we did.

We had a bunch of starters on IR.

These aren't "bullshit" or "conspiracy theories" just because they don't agree with your take on things.

And we are going to have a bunch of starters on IR again this year.  The team is OLD and the Oline has not been improved. 

Besides, you know the league wants the Browns to succeed so the refs are going to look the other way on the offensive holding and what not.  Hasn't that been your mantra for the last year?  League is fixed?

The Browns  won 1 more game then the Bengals and have gotten better. The Bengals have not improved, have gotten older and haven't won anything in 3 years.  Vegas agrees with my assessment and they have a lot of money to protect. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And we are going to have a bunch of starters on IR again this year. 

True, this tends to happen when you ignore injury history and keep bringing the hurt guys back year after year.  QBs also tend to get hurt when your OL sucks..  and when the players have no faith in the coaches, strangely enough minor injuries become major.

Besides, you know the league wants the Browns to succeed so the refs are going to look the other way on the offensive holding and what not.  Hasn't that been your mantra for the last year?  League is fixed?

My observation is that they want high-scoring but close games to keep viewers interested, and call the games accordingly.  They've also created a lot of ambiguous rules that rely on abstract judgement of intent and such, so the ref's confirmation bias is amplified.  "Was that an intentional facemask?  Well, the Bengals are dirty so it probably was, better throw the flag.  Oh this shitty team made a good play?  Better throw a flag, they must have cheated."  That's not a conspiracy theory so much as basic human nature.

The Browns  won 1 more game then the Bengals and have gotten better. The Bengals have not improved, have gotten older and haven't won anything in 3 years.  Vegas agrees with my assessment and they have a lot of money to protect. 

The expansion Browns have appeared in the playoffs once, back in 2002.  They lost.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The expansion Browns have appeared in the playoffs once, back in 2002.  They lost.

The actual Bengals haven't won a playoff game since Jan 6, 1991.  This happens to be the longest of any current team.  Doesn't mean anything about 2019 but keeping the same team intact that didn't win in 2017 or 18 does.

33 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The actual Bengals haven't won a playoff game since Jan 6, 1991.  This happens to be the longest of any current team.  Doesn't mean anything about 2019 but keeping the same team intact that didn't win in 2017 or 18 does.

My impression is that they're blaming everything on the previous coaching group.  Right now Taylor & Friends are a little cocky and thinking they can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  The FO are happy to go along with that because it takes the blame off them for a little while.

I see a harsh reality check coming.

The Bengals haven't improved anywhere on the team since the end of last year. We're likely to be starting a couple of rookies or other team's castoffs. Bobby Hart wasn't a starter with the Giants, he was a backup on one of the worst O-lines in the league in 2017. They cut him and somehow he becomes a starter by default for the Bengals. We do a lot of things by default.

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals haven't improved anywhere on the team since the end of last year. We're likely to be starting a couple of rookies or other team's castoffs. Bobby Hart wasn't a starter with the Giants, he was a backup on one of the worst O-lines in the league in 2017. They cut him and somehow he becomes a starter by default for the Bengals. We do a lot of things by default.

I guess those 20 starts in 24 games played his last two years don't matter as much as the 4 games he didn't start, huh?

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I hope so. That means they drafted really well.

2 hours ago, kennethmw said:

I guess those 20 starts in 24 games played his last two years don't matter as much as the 4 games he didn't start, huh?

If he started 20 games then got benched for the last 4, then yeah those 4 games are kind of important.  Like if I show up to work and shit on the rug, all the days before then when I didn't shit on the rug don't matter either.

4 hours ago, kennethmw said:

He started 7 games in 2017, losing his job to Ereck Flowers. That's a pretty good sign he's not NFL starting material for a non-desperate team. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

He started 7 games in 2017, losing his job to Ereck Flowers. That's a pretty good sign he's not NFL starting material for a non-desperate team. 

And that might make sense if it was true.  It isn't though.  He started at RT games 13, 14 and 15 for the Giants in 2017.  In fact, the reason they cut him was because he decided he couldn't go on the bad ankle in the last game.  But hey, you keep swinging!  Additionally, doesn't it amaze you that the 9th overall pick in the draft was even in a Competition with a guy picked in the 7th rd?  And that you're using that to try to denigrate the guy picked #226?  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

:lmao:

Sorry for finding humor here.

But it literally says that date every time you post.

It was like I was reading it in stereo

:46:

Is that in my signature?  I seriously don’t know, I haven’t had sigs turned on for 10 years, it took too long to load pages on my phone in the pre 4G and unlimited data days. 

19 hours ago, kennethmw said:

And that might make sense if it was true.  It isn't though.  He started at RT games 13, 14 and 15 for the Giants in 2017.  In fact, the reason they cut him was because he decided he couldn't go on the bad ankle in the last game.  But hey, you keep swinging!  Additionally, doesn't it amaze you that the 9th overall pick in the draft was even in a Competition with a guy picked in the 7th rd?  And that you're using that to try to denigrate the guy picked #226?  :rolleyes:

Fair point if he was starting late in the year.

On the other hand, he was still a cut by the O-line needy Giants. 

On 4/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, T-Dub said:

My impression is that they're blaming everything on the previous coaching group.  Right now Taylor & Friends are a little cocky and thinking they can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  The FO are happy to go along with that because it takes the blame off them for a little while.

I see a harsh reality check coming.

I would put plenty of the blame on the previous staff too.  Austin was a complete disaster and the defense had a historically terrible season under his stewardship.  Lazor was unimpressive as a play caller and will not be missed.  The new staff is replacing one that didn't have very much success the past several years and I can't pretend to be upset about finally moving on from Marvin.  It's fair to be skeptical for many valid reasons but it's not like Marvin and Co. were anything special.  

23 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I would put plenty of the blame on the previous staff too.  Austin was a complete disaster and the defense had a historically terrible season under his stewardship.  Lazor was unimpressive as a play caller and will not be missed.  The new staff is replacing one that didn't have very much success the past several years and I can't pretend to be upset about finally moving on from Marvin.  It's fair to be skeptical for many valid reasons but it's not like Marvin and Co. were anything special.  

This is all true, but the same FO that hired these guys and signed off on their decisions didn't leave with them.  Brown said quite clearly in that press conference that he only fired Marvin because the fans forced the issue.  The same jackass who tried to lowball our All-Pro LT into leaving now has more power, if anything.  Taylor's staff is made up of whoever would take the job.

So Taylor may actually end up a good coach, but the deck is heavily stacked against him here.  Same situation that turned Marvin into a shell of himself.

Archived