2019 NFL schedules released tonight

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The one night game is Pittsburgh away, awesome, I wonder which promising young player they will decide to Code Red this year?  Now that Burfict is gone it's open season on Bengals again.  So relieved to see the Shield was Protected.

At the end of the day NFL Football is entertainment.  While the game itself is supposed to be fair while played, the NFL itself will definitely match up certain teams at certain times to improve ratings which is where the largest source of revenue is, TV advertising.   Until such time that the Bengals become even somewhat intriguing on the national level, there is little reason to expect the scheduling guys to cater to the organization.  There is nothing remotely compelling about this team compared to other teams in the league or in the division. 

As far as the league and national media are concerned the Bengals are currently nothing more than schedule filler.  Every year teams replace their entire coaching staff so the fact that the Bengals did the same is no big deal, teams do it all the time.  The other day I listened to a sports radio show that was discussing each division.  When they got to the AFCN they spent almost all of their time on the Clowns and the drama in Pittspuke.  Spent a little time on the Ravens post Joe Flacco and said NOTHING about the Bengals.  NOTHING. It was like the Bengals didn't even exist. 

Besides, do you really want to watch the organization be embarrassed on national TV when half the fans are waving those piss colored towels AT PBS?

41 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm thinking 8-8

I can't see more than 5 wins with all of the question marks on this team.  Aging D (Geno, Dunlap), bad LBs, Bad o-line, average QB, aging star WR who's been hurt 3 of the past 4 years....it may be a rough season.

7 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I can't see more than 5 wins with all of the question marks on this team.  Aging D (Geno, Dunlap), bad LBs, Bad o-line, average QB, aging star WR who's been hurt 3 of the past 4 years....it may be a rough season.

Seahawks - L

49ners - W

Bills - W

Stealers - L

Cardinals - W

Ravens - W

Jags - W

Rams - L

Ravens - L

Raiders - W

Stealers - L

Jets - W

Browns - L

Patriots - L

Dolphins - W

Browns - L

8-8 and I hate that we loose Browns both games

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think we split with the Browns at worst but I don't think we win 8 games, either.  

If there is a more overrated team than Cleveland right now..  I guess I'll have plenty of opportunities to watch them get shit on, at least.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

At the end of the day NFL Football is entertainment.  While the game itself is supposed to be fair while played, the NFL itself will definitely match up certain teams at certain times to improve ratings which is where the largest source of revenue is, TV advertising.   Until such time that the Bengals become even somewhat intriguing on the national level, there is little reason to expect the scheduling guys to cater to the organization.  There is nothing remotely compelling about this team compared to other teams in the league or in the division. 

As far as the league and national media are concerned the Bengals are currently nothing more than schedule filler.  Every year teams replace their entire coaching staff so the fact that the Bengals did the same is no big deal, teams do it all the time.  The other day I listened to a sports radio show that was discussing each division.  When they got to the AFCN they spent almost all of their time on the Clowns and the drama in Pittspuke.  Spent a little time on the Ravens post Joe Flacco and said NOTHING about the Bengals.  NOTHING. It was like the Bengals didn't even exist. 

Besides, do you really want to watch the organization be embarrassed on national TV when half the fans are waving those piss colored towels AT PBS?

I mean, I understand all that, but how does the ratio of home/away games have anything to do with advertising or league revenue?  The NFL doesn't make more money by having us play 4/6 away to start the season. 

It's about keeping us in our place so they don't have to be bothered sharing the spotlight with a small-market franchise.  Which, I mean..  if the NFL is doing things to make sure the Bengals stay down, why are we supporting it?  Let them fund some b-league of Washington Generals-type filler teams and then the money franchises can basically skip to the playoffs.  It's not that different than what we have now, only honest.

22 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Seahawks - L

49ners - W

Bills - W

Stealers - L

Cardinals - W

Ravens - W

Jags - W

Rams - L

Ravens - L

Raiders - W

Stealers - L

Jets - W

Browns - L

Patriots - L

Dolphins - W

Browns - L

@Seattle - L

SF - L

@Buffalo - W

@Pittsburgh - L

Arizona - W

@Baltimore - L

Jacksonville - L

(London) Rams - L

BYE

Baltimore - W

@Oakland - L

Pittsburgh - L

New York J - L

@Cleveland - L

New England - L

@Miami - W

Cleveland - L

4-12

Notes about games I have with a loss, but we COULD win:

SF - a healthy Jimmy G, a Kyle Shanahan offense doesn't bode well for us.  Kittle will give us problems over the middle all day.

Oakland - Signing $100M worth of good free agents helps.  Carr is still a good QB, a little better than Andy.  Their offense will be a lot better with AB and their D should be better too with either Josh Allen or Q. Williams.

NYJ - They always seem to have a good D.  Adding Bell in the backfield and the 2nd year of Sam Darnold should make their offense above average this year.

Cleveland 2x - I hate this...they're just better than us.  I don't know how we'll block their D line, especially Garrett.  And Baker/OBJ will carve up our D.  I hate this

23 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

@Seattle - L

SF - L

@Buffalo - W

@Pittsburgh - L

Arizona - W

@Baltimore - L

Jacksonville - L

(London) Rams - L

BYE

Baltimore - W

@Oakland - L

Pittsburgh - L

New York J - L

@Cleveland - L

New England - L

@Miami - W

Cleveland - L

4-12

Notes about games I have with a loss, but we COULD win:

SF - a healthy Jimmy G, a Kyle Shanahan offense doesn't bode well for us.  Kittle will give us problems over the middle all day.

Oakland - Signing $100M worth of good free agents helps.  Carr is still a good QB, a little better than Andy.  Their offense will be a lot better with AB and their D should be better too with either Josh Allen or Q. Williams.

NYJ - They always seem to have a good D.  Adding Bell in the backfield and the 2nd year of Sam Darnold should make their offense above average this year.

Cleveland 2x - I hate this...they're just better than us.  I don't know how we'll block their D line, especially Garrett.  And Baker/OBJ will carve up our D.  I hate this

You know that we have an entirely different coaching staff and haven't drafted yet? It sounds like you're assuming that our team will be exactly the same while other teams improve.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

You know that we have an entirely different coaching staff and haven't drafted yet? It sounds like you're assuming that our team will be exactly the same while other teams improve.

The thing I do know about them is they're young and inexperienced.  We couldn't find a defensive coordinator because coaches were concerned about the age and talent on our defense.  This is one of 32 jobs that guys covet and we couldn't find one.  Yes, we should acquire some talent in this draft, but so will these other teams...a lot of whom have better picks than us in every round.  And while we have a different staff, we have the primary decision maker who has failed in many of the past 5 drafts in Duke Tobin. 

10 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

The thing I do know about them is they're young and inexperienced.  We couldn't find a defensive coordinator because coaches were concerned about the age and talent on our defense.  This is one of 32 jobs that guys covet and we couldn't find one.  Yes, we should acquire some talent in this draft, but so will these other teams...a lot of whom have better picks than us in every round.  And while we have a different staff, we have the primary decision maker who has failed in many of the past 5 drafts in Duke Tobin. 

But this year there are more voices in the room, and most of them aren't even imaginary!  That means there will be a serious discussion of several different viewpoints before Mike tells them what to do.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

For a team that will obviously be trying to find its footing to play 4 of the first 6 on the road vs top opponents is a pretty big "Fuck You" from the league.  By comparison, you'll be happy to know that the Browns split an even 3-3 home and away.  Half of them are in prime time.

Pretty clear contrast there & a fine example of how the NFL finds a way to favor some teams.

But think about it: the league loves their Week 17-do-or-die-edge-of-seat-drama games. Conveniently, the Cleveland Bakers are the last opponent on the schedule. One can all but see this one being flexed in order to accommodate all of the excitement. The young, up-and-coming-OBJ's travel into Cincinnati for their pre-arranged glory night. The 5-10 Bengals will be plucky, but a last-minute Baker drive will vault them into the Playoffs as the curtain falls. 

Brought to you by Hyundai..or is it Subaru?      

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

But think about it: the league loves their Week 17-do-or-die-edge-of-seat-drama games. Conveniently, the Cleveland Bakers are the last opponent on the schedule. One can all but see this one being flexed in order to accommodate all of the excitement. The young, up-and-coming-OBJ's travel into Cincinnati for their pre-arranged glory night. The 5-10 Bengals will be plucky, but a last-minute Baker drive will vault them into the Playoffs as the curtain falls. 

I expect the Browns to get a LOT of help along the way.  And still fail.

On paper we don't have a very good coaching staff and haven't added any improved players. Replacing the departed Kroft, Ogbuehi, and Fisher with Miller, Wynn, and Webb isn't much of a change.

The Ravens lost a lot of talent and have a major question mark at QB. So we might be able to finish 3rd. If Jackson shows a good bit of improvement in year 2, we're in the basement.

The Dolphins are tanking this year and Arizona is still bad. Maybe the 49ers too. 

But the Bengals look like a 5-6 win team. We still have a poor O-line, an erratic QB, not much pass rush, and coverage issues. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I think the last week of the season, every team plays a division opponent. Also, I don't think the last 2 weeks, games get flexed. If it affects the playoffs, it might get moved to 4:25 with any other game that would affect the playoffs so that a team doesn't know its fate prior to playing. They've done that before. 

16 hours ago, oldschooler said:

2 of our first 6 games are at home

MFB must be upset.  Reason, if this team is losing and then when it starts to get colder out and I am sure he saw the empty seats last year, get ready and see how many fans show up late in the season.  

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I mean, I understand all that, but how does the ratio of home/away games have anything to do with advertising or league revenue?  The NFL doesn't make more money by having us play 4/6 away to start the season. 

It's about keeping us in our place so they don't have to be bothered sharing the spotlight with a small-market franchise.  Which, I mean..  if the NFL is doing things to make sure the Bengals stay down, why are we supporting it?  Let them fund some b-league of Washington Generals-type filler teams and then the money franchises can basically skip to the playoffs.  It's not that different than what we have now, only honest.

The league spends all of its time trying to put together early juicy matchups to build interest.  We get the scraps. 

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The league spends all of its time trying to put together early juicy matchups to build interest.  We get the scraps. 

The match up remains the same no matter which stadium they play in.  This is a deliberate effort to make sure we rack up those early L's that take us out of the conversation.  Granted that's something we can easily manage on our own, but there's no good reason they can't balance home & away games on our schedule. The rest of the NFL allegedly hates Mike Brown for being a leech, but at the same time they don't want his team to challenge them, either.  Seems like it's going to have to be one or the other.

Archived