2019 NFL schedules released tonight

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The match up remains the same no matter which stadium they play in.  This is a deliberate effort to make sure we rack up those early L's that take us out of the conversation.  Granted that's something we can easily manage on our own, but there's no good reason they can't balance home & away games on our schedule. The rest of the NFL allegedly hates Mike Brown for being a leech, but at the same time they don't want his team to challenge them, either.  Seems like it's going to have to be one or the other.

Meh, Cleveland and Pittsburgh both have to play the Bengals at home at some point.  Getting hosed early on doesn't surprise me.  The league would rather we play darling teams like Los Angeles somewhere NOT named Paul Brown Stadium.   Besides, they need to make sure the Patriots have a few easy games to close out the season rested  @Cincy, home Bills & Dolphins.

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

At the end of the day NFL Football is entertainment.  While the game itself is supposed to be fair while played, the NFL itself will definitely match up certain teams at certain times to improve ratings which is where the largest source of revenue is, TV advertising.   Until such time that the Bengals become even somewhat intriguing on the national level, there is little reason to expect the scheduling guys to cater to the organization.  There is nothing remotely compelling about this team compared to other teams in the league or in the division. 

As far as the league and national media are concerned the Bengals are currently nothing more than schedule filler.  Every year teams replace their entire coaching staff so the fact that the Bengals did the same is no big deal, teams do it all the time.  The other day I listened to a sports radio show that was discussing each division.  When they got to the AFCN they spent almost all of their time on the Clowns and the drama in Pittspuke.  Spent a little time on the Ravens post Joe Flacco and said NOTHING about the Bengals.  NOTHING. It was like the Bengals didn't even exist. 

Besides, do you really want to watch the organization be embarrassed on national TV when half the fans are waving those piss colored towels AT PBS?

All of this is a BINGO.

22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Meh, Cleveland and Pittsburgh both have to play the Bengals at home at some point.  Getting hosed early on doesn't surprise me.  The league would rather we play darling teams like Los Angeles somewhere NOT named Paul Brown Stadium.   Besides, they need to make sure the Patriots have a few easy games to close out the season rested  @Cincy, home Bills & Dolphins.

I think they should get rid of the salary cap.  Let the money teams outspend us (not that most aren't now so why place a limit on it), that would at least be honest and transparent.  All the behind-the-curtain fixing to accomplish the same thing is 100x worse.

In 2018, from weeks 5 through 15, the Bengals played 7 of 10 games at home.  Week 8's bye was sandwiched by two home games, meaning they didnt have to travel for a month.....they didnt do shit with it.  In 2017, They opened the year at home against Baltimore and Houston and ended the year with 4 of 6 at home.  In 2016, they opened with two on the road, followed by 4 of 6 at home.  

Some of you cats have selective memories and just like to bitch and alleviate responsibility from the team that your root for, a responsibility which is to do one thing...WIN!!  Guess what, they have done very fucking little of it the past three seasons.  To top that off, they have done even less when they have won in the regular season.  I have said it a million times, you will not get credibility until you have earned it.  No whiny ass fan base is going to change that.  They need to win and win often.  Period.  

3 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

The thing I do know about them is they're young and inexperienced.  We couldn't find a defensive coordinator because coaches were concerned about the age and talent on our defense.  This is one of 32 jobs that guys covet and we couldn't find one.  Yes, we should acquire some talent in this draft, but so will these other teams...a lot of whom have better picks than us in every round.  And while we have a different staff, we have the primary decision maker who has failed in many of the past 5 drafts in Duke Tobin. 

That is crap. Nobody knows why it took so long. Jack Del Rio supposedly wanted to come here. Don't believe the media making it out to be the worst job on earth. How are they young and inexperienced? The DL is basically the same as is CBs. Bates was a rookie but Williams is a vet and people were high on Fejedelem. The only gaping hole is LBs. Don't believe everything you read.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think they should get rid of the salary cap.  Let the money teams outspend us (not that most aren't now so why place a limit on it), that would at least be honest and transparent.  All the behind-the-curtain fixing to accomplish the same thing is 100x worse.

I don't really see it as fixing more than I see it as marketing on a week by week basis.  The week before the Pats play us they play Kansas City.  The NFL was desperate to make Thursday Night games way better than they were a few years back.  I pick on the Pats but the reality is they were garbage before Bill Parcells became their coach and who would have ever guessed the Dolphins, Jets and Bills would be utter shit for almost 20 years save the Jets with a few good years when Ryan was the coach?  It must be nice playing Buffalo, Miami or the Jets down the stretch with a bye on the line while we have to line up against Pittspuke and Baltimore. 

They league sets its marque games first then deals with the leftovers.   Getting rid of the salary cap would make the games unwatchable. 

15 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That is crap. Nobody knows why it took so long. Jack Del Rio supposedly wanted to come here. Don't believe the media making it out to be the worst job on earth. How are they young and inexperienced? The DL is basically the same as is CBs. Bates was a rookie but Williams is a vet and people were high on Fejedelem. The only gaping hole is LBs. Don't believe everything you read.

I think he ment the coaches are young and inexperienced.  There is no denying our defense SUCKED last year and thus far, no new talent has been brought in that will change that.   Our defensive line is an OK as a whole, nothing more.   Yes, Geno is a great player but not good enough to overcome 2 marginal players next to him.  Our current linebackers have never been  good.  Maybe one or two will step up but I doubt it.   Bates and Fejedelem are not going to make the secondary better. 

A good coach might get more out of them but moving up from last shouldn't be that hard. Still, our defense doesn't scare anyone nor should it. 

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't really see it as fixing more than I see it as marketing on a week by week basis.  The week before the Pats play us they play Kansas City.  The NFL was desperate to make Thursday Night games way better than they were a few years back.  I pick on the Pats but the reality is they were garbage before Bill Parcells became their coach and who would have ever guessed the Dolphins, Jets and Bills would be utter shit for almost 20 years save the Jets with a few good years when Ryan was the coach?

They league sets its marque games first then deals with the leftovers.   Getting rid of the salary cap would make the games unwatchable. 

Putting a good match-up on TNF doesn't make TNF better, it ruins a good match-up.  Playing an out of schedule night game in the middle of the week just guarantees you a shitty game.  Quit trying to make NFL Network happen.  

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Putting a good match-up on TNF doesn't make TNF better, it ruins a good match-up.  Playing an out of schedule night game in the middle of the week just guarantees you a shitty game.  Quit trying to make NFL Network happen.  

Hey man, I am just the messenger, I agree with you.  I have always said TNF should be played ONLY by teams coming off a bye.  

25 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

In 2018, from weeks 5 through 15, the Bengals played 7 of 10 games at home.  Week 8's bye was sandwiched by two home games, meaning they didnt have to travel for a month.....they didnt do shit with it.  In 2017, They opened the year at home against Baltimore and Houston and ended the year with 4 of 6 at home.  In 2016, they opened with two on the road, followed by 4 of 6 at home.  

Some of you cats have selective memories and just like to bitch and alleviate responsibility from the team that your root for, a responsibility which is to do one thing...WIN!!  Guess what, they have done very fucking little of it the past three seasons.  To top that off, they have done even less when they have won in the regular season.  I have said it a million times, you will not get credibility until you have earned it.  No whiny ass fan base is going to change that.  They need to win and win often.  Period.  

This "They deserve to get shit on because they smell like shit!" circular logic is entertaining as always.  They made the postseason how many years in a row?  Oh right, but they lost every time, so that somehow makes them worse than the 20 other teams that didn't go to the playoffs at all.  

Kind of hard to earn credibility when the standards keep moving every time you get close.  

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Hey man, I am just the messenger, I agree with you.  I have always said TNF should be played ONLY by teams coming off a bye.  

Or better yet, not at all.  Throwing a preseason-quality game in the middle of a team's regular season is the opposite of integrity. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Or better yet, not at all.  Throwing a preseason-quality game in the middle of a team's regular season is the opposite of integrity. 

Well, you know the NFL needs as much revenue as they can get so they can pay Russell Wilson and soon Patrick Mahomes huge checks to keep the monopoly train a running.  Besides, 10 days to prepare for a TNF match would make it a good game.  Players don't get 7 days off during a bye. 

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

This "They deserve to get shit on because they smell like shit!" circular logic is entertaining as always.  They made the postseason how many years in a row?  Oh right, but they lost every time, so that somehow makes them worse than the 20 other teams that didn't go to the playoffs at all.  

Kind of hard to earn credibility when the standards keep moving every time you get close.  

Fair points. However, this logic always smells like "poor me logic" to me.  Also known as, "hey man, why does my shit sandwich taste worse than yours?"  I see both sides, i just happen to follow on the opposite end.  

28 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Fair points. However, this logic always smells like "poor me logic" to me.  Also known as, "hey man, why does my shit sandwich taste worse than yours?"  I see both sides, i just happen to follow on the opposite end.  

Well like I said, this team should have no problem losing games this season without any help from the NFL.  It sucks that Goodell's version of the league operates this way, it's not even about which team you follow.   The only choice we have is whether to watch or not and it seems people are starting to tune out.  The next TV contract negotiation should be really interesting. How many down years would it take for the matching fund checks to stop coming? How long before they start relocating or disbanding underperforming franchises? 

45 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Also, you will find that when they were making the playoffs, they were getting much more prime time game love.  Only then it was, "it figures they would put us against so and so on national tv."  Not saying you were the one saying that, but there was certainly that logic going around.  Cant have it both ways.  Either way, they wont return to relevance until they become more relevant by winning.  Thats the nature of the beast.  

1 hour ago, SouthPaw said:

Also, you will find that when they were making the playoffs, they were getting much more prime time game love.  Only then it was, "it figures they would put us against so and so on national tv."  Not saying you were the one saying that, but there was certainly that logic going around.  Cant have it both ways.  Either way, they wont return to relevance until they become more relevant by winning.  Thats the nature of the beast.  

Naturally if we're in prime time they're going to want to match us up with a team people actually care about, and those tend to be good teams.

The question becomes whether they're favored because they're good, or if they're good because they're favored.  Once they start playing favorites, how would we know which one it is? A level, neutral playing field is pretty important if you're trying to be a legitimate sport.  If it's just "sports entertainment" that's really not much better than a big-budget version of pro wrestling, then it doesn't matter as much.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Naturally if we're in prime time they're going to want to match us up with a team people actually care about, and those tend to be good teams.

The question becomes whether they're favored because they're good, or if they're good because they're favored.  Once they start playing favorites, how would we know which one it is? A level, neutral playing field is pretty important if you're trying to be a legitimate sport.  If it's just "sports entertainment" that's really not much better than a big-budget version of pro wrestling, then it doesn't matter as much.

The NFL has favored teams as far as scheduling. The Cowboys are the quintessential “favored” team.   However, they haven’t done much in 20 years so it kind of destroys the notion that the league can somehow influence outcomes on the field effectively.   

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The NFL has favored teams as far as scheduling. The Cowboys are the quintessential “favored” team.   However, they haven’t done much in 20 years so it kind of destroys the notion that the league can somehow influence outcomes on the field effectively.   

Sort of like Rams/Saints this past playoff year :YouDontSay-min:

Hey, speaking of championship victory snatched by officiating (the AI version), yesterday's CL 2nd leg between City and Spurs was a doozy. There, different from the Ram/Saints infamy, the non-call on the pitch allowing Sterling to score what appeared to be the eliminating goal, was reversed by VAR and ruled offside. Spurs advance, and City out. The machine made the right call (albeit it was more akin to your average NFL holding non-call), but the 30-second difference between absolute joy and absolute devastation, was stark. 

Think the Saints would have been more than pleased to have VAR? The NFL wouldn't touch it with a 1,000 mile pole.

51 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals and Dolphins are the only 2 teams without a Thursday game. At least we get 1 game in primetime, which is more than the Bills can say.

The bills have a Thursday night game. That's prime time.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Other than their first 5 years in existence, they haven't gone that long without a playoff appearance since they were founded.  5 Championships and more to the point, have 2 losing seasons in the past 10 years.  They've "only" won 3 playoff games in the last 10 years, but 3 is more than none.

Thing is, I agree that they've had average teams recently.  That kind of destroys the notion that they aren't getting help from somewhere.

Regardless, I wasn't talking about prime time appearances or the Dallas Cowboys.  The point was that we start the season playing 4 out of 6 on the road & I can't think of any good reason for that.

Archived