What would you do?

Goodberry and Liscow on the Locked on Podcast participated in a 32-team locked on mock draft. In that exercise the first four picks were Bosa, Williams, Allen and White leaving Kyler Murray on the board at #5. In that exercise, Goodberry and Liscow offered the Tampa locked on crew the #11, the #42, and a third in 2020 to move up to #5 which was accepted. They then took Kyler Murray. 

If it went down like that next week, with Murray sliding to five, would you all want the Bengals to make a move to get him? Would you be willing to pay more than what they had to offer on the locked on mock?  Too much on the locked on mock?

Just curious.

In that scenario, I confess to having my interest piqued in that kind of move if Murray slid a bit.

While I like the idea of getting Murray and think he'll be a good QB, this team needs all the picks it has to fix holes. With the right draft this team can compete as soon as this coming season. If we give up a bunch of picks AND don't take an actual position of need with the first pick, I think we might as well start a full rebuild. If a QB slides to us at 11 that we take, we might still be able to make something happen with all the picks we have left.

41 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

While I like the idea of getting Murray and think he'll be a good QB, this team needs all the picks it has to fix holes. With the right draft this team can compete as soon as this coming season. If we give up a bunch of picks AND don't take an actual position of need with the first pick, I think we might as well start a full rebuild. If a QB slides to us at 11 that we take, we might still be able to make something happen with all the picks we have left.

Yeah unless Tampa really wants to stockpile 6th round picks I don't see it happening

Does anybody think there's any truth to rumors that the cards are strongly considering drafting him and dumping Rosen? Some are reporting it like it has already happened. ESPN likes to fabricate big stories. Creating rumors based on their own speculation and sometimes reporting them as fact. Like they did with Marvin leaving two years ago. And they want Murray drafted number one for some reason. 

This is difficult because the current thought is he could be a game changer but if the top 4 teams not only passed on him but didn't trade out of their spots, I'd question if he was worth being chosen that high in the first place.  If you believe he's a game changer then yes and you just got the steal of the century.  If you weren't sure to begin with, then you stay and if he falls you think hard about taking him at 11.

We simply don't need a QB right now.   In the unlikely event we do make the postseason, it's a last chance for AD to show & prove.  If he fails we draft his replacement next year and they step into what should be a more stable situation.  We'd be throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.  I have my doubts about Andy making it to game 16 as it is & see no reason to compound that risk by doubling down with a #11 draft pick. 

There are good QB's every year & we are probably going to be drafting around the same spot anyway.   Trading up now would be nothing more than pandering to the casual fans who only watch the QB.  Pay more attention to the big chungus getting shoved into him.

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

It's not likely to happen. I prefer Haskins to Murray and the smoke signals that he's falling on draft boards could work out well for us if true. 

But if we did something like Bush then Lindstrom/Risner/McGary in round 2, we'd be in good shape. 

I'm all for this and trade from the 3rd to the end of 2 to take Grier and I'd be happy.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We simply don't need a QB right now.   In the unlikely event we do make the postseason, it's a last chance for AD to show & prove.  If he fails we draft his replacement next year and they step into what should be a more stable situation.  We'd be throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.  I have my doubts about Andy making it to game 16 as it is & see no reason to compound that risk by doubling down with a #11 draft pick. 

There are good QB's every year & we are probably going to be drafting around the same spot anyway.   Trading up now would be nothing more than pandering to the casual fans who only watch the QB.  Pay more attention to the big chungus getting shoved into him.

But if we stay with Andy for 2019, he'll still be here for 2020 and maybe longer.  We have an ad hoc staff at the moment who Taylor pulled off the scrap heap after other teams were done hiring. It's reasonable to expect staff turnover for the season after this one and the excuses write themselves. MB isn't one to overlook a good excuse. 

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

With all the holes in this roster giving up draft picks for a QB would set us back another 2-3 years.

So I wouldn't rule it out.

I would have give up the #3 pick (Akille Smith) and taken all of New Orleans picks so they can pick Ricky Williams.  That’s the question right?

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I can't imagine that they won't wait and see how Andy does with this new offense and if he shits the bed, draft a QB 1st round next year. 

43 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I can't imagine that they won't wait and see how Andy does with this new offense and if he shits the bed, draft a QB 1st round next year. 

That would probably be the smart move, but a new QB is exciting.   :frantics:

Just like 60 point games & 50 year old superstar QB's.  The people are bored with the bread and demand more circus. 

That would be the dumbest trade ever, how do you trade rape yourself?

Trading up to get a QB is a horrible idea, with all of the needs, especially when it comes to depth, this team has they need all of the draft picks they have. 

The Bengals need at least 1 starter quality OT and they refuse/are unable to get them in FA, therefore the draft is the only way they will acquire the level of talent they need. They need to go OT in the first and LB in the 2nd(Mack or Pratt), don't over think this draft just get the talent this roster needs.

41 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

That would be the dumbest trade ever, how do you trade rape yourself?

Trading up to get a QB is a horrible idea, with all of the needs, especially when it comes to depth, this team has they need all of the draft picks they have. 

The Bengals need at least 1 starter quality OT and refuse/unable to get them in FA, therefore the draft is the only way they will acquire the level of talent they need. They need to go OT in the first and LB in the 2nd(Mack or Pratt), don't over think this draft just get the talent this roster needs.

inb4 QB & WR in the first two rounds

:ninja:

A franchise QB is hands down both the rarest and most valuable commodity in the NFL.  If you don't already have one,  you can't pass on one to fill "other holes".  It all comes down to how you rate the guy in question. Especially if the other guys available aren't game changers, and it's looking like those will be gone by 11.

20 minutes ago, Girevik said:

A franchise QB is hands down both the rarest and most valuable commodity in the NFL.  

Unfortunately they don't have those in the draft, only prospects that may eventually turn into one if you're very lucky and do everything right.  Things like not let them get sacked 30 times in their rookie season, for example.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Unfortunately they don't have those in the draft, only prospects that may eventually turn into one if you're very lucky and do everything right.  Things like not let them get sacked 30 times in their rookie season, for example.  

Sacks build character.  Just ask Troy Aikman when he isn't talking to himself.

2 hours ago, Girevik said:

A franchise QB is hands down both the rarest and most valuable commodity in the NFL.  If you don't already have one,  you can't pass on one to fill "other holes".  It all comes down to how you rate the guy in question. Especially if the other guys available aren't game changers, and it's looking like those will be gone by 11.

One Question:  Of all the guys that you consider "Franchise QB's", how many had Only one year of starting experience?  Didn't we Draft a 1 year starter once?

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

One Question:  Of all the guys that you consider "Franchise QB's", how many had Only one year of starting experience?  Didn't we Draft a 1 year starter once?

I don't disagree,  but that's the way football is going.  The have been several QBs taken very high in the past few years with just one year starting.   That doesn't change what I said about the position,  just makes it harder to evaluate them. 

And my comment wasn't about whether I think those QBs exist in this draft (in fact in an earlier post I said I'm not sold on Murray).  I'm just saying that if you believe that guy is there,  you have to take him regardless of other needs.  The poision is just that much more valuable than any other. 

Archived