What would you do?

24 minutes ago, Girevik said:

I don't disagree,  but that's the way football is going.  The have been several QBs taken very high in the past few years with just one year starting.   That doesn't change what I said about the position,  just makes it harder to evaluate them. 

And my comment wasn't about whether I think those QBs exist in this draft (in fact in an earlier post I said I'm not sold on Murray).  I'm just saying that if you believe that guy is there,  you have to take him regardless of other needs.  The poision is just that much more valuable than any other. 

Now that is something I agree with.  I just don't see any of the guys in this draft as being THAT guy.  I think this may be the "11 draft, where you might get two pretty good players, and everybody else is basically out of the league by the end of their rookie contract.  and I'm not sold on the fact that Murray or Haskins is a lock to be one of the two.

40 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Now that is something I agree with.  I just don't see any of the guys in this draft as being THAT guy.  I think this may be the "11 draft, where you might get two pretty good players, and everybody else is basically out of the league by the end of their rookie contract.  and I'm not sold on the fact that Murray or Haskins is a lock to be one of the two.

I am with you and I do agree with Girevik that is there is a franchise QB out there you have to take him. 

The problem is you will never know unless you take him and the odds are like the Hunger games, they are NOT in your favor.

From 2000 to 2016 12 QBs were picked with the first pick overall.  The best of that 17 year group of #1 picks are Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and Eli Manning?  The next franchise QB Matt Ryan was the 3rd pick and Rivers the 4th.  Big Jen was the 11th pick,  Rodgers was the 24th pick then Brees with the first pick in the 2nd round.   So in that time frame, 44 guys were taken in the first round and 8 were true franchise QBs.  If you want to add the Quitter you can make it 9.  Alex Smith would make it 10 but you know...  It is really a crap shoot.   The reality is Andy has overperformed from day one compared to most of the guys chosen before him. 

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If I was making a low-budget movie about a fictional franchise QB I think he would be ideal for the role..  Does that count? 

No way, Keanu Reeves has that role locked up after The Replacements or maybe Adam Sandler. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am with you and I do agree with Girevik that is there is a franchise QB out there you have to take him. 

The problem is you will never know unless you take him and the odds are like the Hunger games, they are NOT in your favor.

From 2000 to 2016 12 QBs were picked with the first pick overall.  The best of that 17 year group of #1 picks are Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and Eli Manning?  The next franchise QB Matt Ryan was the 3rd pick and Rivers the 4th.  Big Jen was the 11th pick,  Rodgers was the 24th pick then Brees with the first pick in the 2nd round.   So in that time frame, 44 guys were taken in the first round and 8 were true franchise QBs.  If you want to add the Quitter you can make it 9.  Alex Smith would make it 10 but you know...  It is really a crap shoot.   The reality is Andy has overperformed from day one compared to most of the guys chosen before him. 

And I think Cam is the only one that started for just one season of major college ball.  And he did Play some at Florida and led Blinn to the NJCAA championship.  

Off the top of my head, Turbisky only started one season. I was thinking there was someone else more recent but can't think of who. This year there are two of them,  and I expect the trend to continue as players see they can get drafted high and strike while the iron is hot. 

13 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Off the top of my head, Turbisky only started one season. I was thinking there was someone else more recent but can't think of who. This year there are two of them,  and I expect the trend to continue as players see they can get drafted high and strike while the iron is hot. 

Cam Newton 

Archived