Draft picks you'd hate

3 minutes ago, Metallicus said:

I would be pissed if they took any QB in the first round.  We don’t NEED a quarterback and all of them in this draft are shit.  Wait till next year or a later round pick this year.  

I don't think they are shit but I don't see an Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes out there.  What I do see are some Andy Dalton types (other than Murray who is an RGIII type) and the reality is a rookie QB with similar talent to Dalton would be a huge financial advantage going forward. 

Dwayne Haskins didn't run Urban Meyer's RPO, he ran a hybrid devised by Day and Wilson.

I can understand having some doubts about a guy only starting one year but the offense itself should be of no concern whatsoever...especially since that offense is pretty much exactly what the NFL is moving towards.

Rashaad Gary for sure - hearing nothing encouraging about him at all.

No to ANY first round QB's. I'm not sold on any of them and we have waaaay too many other holes to fill.

I'm on the fence about a first round O-lineman which we do need. It seems like almost everyone of them is either a good pass blocker or good run blocker but not both - not solid enough for #11.

The best value at our pick is one of the 2 top linebackers of one of the 3 (?) D-linemen. Other than that, I think we miss opportunity.

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am not sold on Haskins as an NFL QB.  It probably has more to do with Urban Meyer forcing him to run an RPO offense when the odds of Haskins running were about 1 in 10 then any real issue I have with him.  It was the perfect offense for Barrett but not for Haskins.  I would have loved to see him in more of a pro set for a year before pulling the trigger on him at 11.   I have more faith in Andy running the ball when necessary than Haskins who I think will simply take sacks or throw it away rather then try to make a play.  

And no, I am not sold on Murray either.  Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see this guy on the field to see what he can do but I think I have already seen this movie before ala RGIII  and Marcus Marriota.   I think this will be the year Lamar Jackson gets broken in half as well.

Hoping for a LB unless Haskins is there you take him. He didn't run an Urban offense til they forced him to run more in the last 4 games. Even then it wasn't a pure run/pass option.

I just want the true BPA.

I typically have a few players that fall in the "hate" category. Sadly they've taken some in past years (Ross, Ogbuehi, Kirkpatrick, Pollack, Perry and the grand-daddy of them all, Akili Smith). This year, there aren't any specific players. I want an OT or LB in the first (my "dream" pick is Devin White). I have even warmed to the concept of a QB, DE, TE or DT if the right guy is there.

What do I not want/what would I hate? A project. An injury case. A combine hero. A one year wonder.

The Bengals need legit talent with proven multi-year production in college. Football players that are NFL ready and can make a significant and immediate impact. Take the BPA, try to fill as many holes as possible and let's see what this team can do under Taylor in 2019.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, T-Dub said:

Brace yourself, I think it's as likely as anything.   I can see an argument to be made that we shouldn't expect a Top 10ish draft pick next year so our best shot at a young franchise QB is now.   I would say QB is usually a better draft value *by round* than LB. I could see a pair of 3rd round LB's starting day one on this roster. 

Any QB taken at #11 should be challenging Andy for his job in training camp & it's hard to see that in these rookies.  Maybe Taylor ganked all of LA's draft scouting along with their playbooks on his way out?  I am 100% fine with a HC running their system out of a 3-ring binder and smiling for the cameras.   

I state this only because the Bengals historically suck in drafting a QB in the first.  In regards to all teams in the NFL if one was to throw out the Tom Brady anomaly and repeat performances of Joe Montana, that would almost dictate a 1st round QB is statistically necessary to win the Super Bowl.  However, we can't get over our own selves to draft a QB in the 1st (with few minor exceptions and ZERO post season success, and don't argue Jack Thompson just because he made appearances in two post season games and had a grand total of one pass attempt with a completion for 14 yards).   I did an article back in 2013 and here is some info from that article. 

Round, appearances in Super Bowl, percentage assigned to round QB drafted out of 62 QB's appearing in Super Bowl

1.  34  54.83%
2.  5   8.06%
3.  7   11.29%
4.  2   3.23%
5.  1   1.61%
6.  8   12.9%
7.  0   0%
8.  0   0%
9.  1   1.61%
Undrafted:  4  6.45%

Total=  62 QB's appeared in the Super Bowl between 1984 - 2013

Not much difference on rounds 2-6.

Note 1:  14 of the Super Bowl winning QBs were drafted 1st overall.

15 hours ago, Numbers said:

I state this only because the Bengals historically suck in drafting a QB in the first.  In regards to all teams in the NFL if one was to throw out the Tom Brady anomaly and repeat performances of Joe Montana, that would almost dictate a 1st round QB is statistically necessary to win the Super Bowl.  However, we can't get over our own selves to draft a QB in the 1st (with few minor exceptions and ZERO post season success, and don't argue Jack Thompson just because he made appearances in two post season games and had a grand total of one pass attempt with a completion for 14 yards).   I did an article back in 2013 and here is some info from that article. 

Round, appearances in Super Bowl, percentage assigned to round QB drafted out of 62 QB's appearing in Super Bowl

1.  34  54.83%
2.  5   8.06%
3.  7   11.29%
4.  2   3.23%
5.  1   1.61%
6.  8   12.9%
7.  0   0%
8.  0   0%
9.  1   1.61%

Not really 14. 14 Super Bowls had a winning QB that was drafted #1. Aikman had 3, Eli had 2. Peyton 1, Elway had 2. Bradshaw had 4. That's 12, actually 5 QBs. Namath was AFL, so technically shouldn't count. So, at the most, there's 7 super bowl winning QBs. Plunkett makes 7.

There's only about 20 first round picks that went to the Super Bowl.

On 4/23/2019 at 4:17 PM, SF2 said:

I don't think they are shit but I don't see an Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes out there.  What I do see are some Andy Dalton types (other than Murray who is an RGIII type) and the reality is a rookie QB with similar talent to Dalton would be a huge financial advantage going forward. 

Haskins looks to be comparable to Bledsow to me.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Not really 14. 14 Super Bowls had a winning QB that was drafted #1. Aikman had 3, Eli had 2. Peyton 1, Elway had 2. Bradshaw had 4. That's 12, actually 5 QBs. Namath was AFL, so technically shouldn't count. So, at the most, there's 7 super bowl winning QBs. Plunkett makes 7.

There's only about 20 first round picks that went to the Super Bowl.

Since 2000 or 19 years there has been at least 1 first round QB in 14 of the games.   4 times both were first rounders.   Basically, on average, there is at least 1 first round QB in every Super Bowl.  Yes, guys like Peyton and Eli have done it more than once but the reality is half the time a first rounder is in the game.  

Also, with the newer rookie salary structure it makes huge sense to take a QB late in the first round if you might need one.  If he pans out, you have him locked up for 5 years, not just 4. 

The only non first rounders to WIN this Century are Brady, Brees, Russell Wilson and Brad Johnson.

I really haven't gotten emotional over a draft since they took Darqueze Dennard so I'm not the type to throw stuff at the TV during the draft.

Having said that, I hope they do not take a QB in the first round. I want to see what Dalton can do with a new coach. Besides, there's better talent coming out next year and the year after at QB. 

3 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I really haven't gotten emotional over a draft since they took Darqueze Dennard so I'm not the type to throw stuff at the TV during the draft.

Having said that, I hope they do not take a QB in the first round. I want to see what Dalton can do with a new coach. Besides, there's better talent coming out next year and the year after at QB. 

BTW, I agree with you, I don't want them to take a QB in the first unless Murray fell to us.  Want to talk about the national media actually talking about us for a change, that would do it.  Its the fact that Taylor is from the Rams that makes me think it might happen.

17 hours ago, Numbers said:

1.  34  54.83%
2.  5   8.06%
3.  7   11.29%
4.  2   3.23%
5.  1   1.61%
6.  8   12.9%
7.  0   0%
8.  0   0%
9.  1   1.61%

Odd that 6th round has the next highest percentage after 1. :lol: 

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

BTW, I agree with you, I don't want them to take a QB in the first unless Murray fell to us.  Want to talk about the national media actually talking about us for a change, that would do it.  Its the fact that Taylor is from the Rams that makes me think it might happen.

We draft him then he immediately signs a contract with the A's to play baseball.

59 minutes ago, Jason said:

Odd that 6th round has the next highest percentage after 1. :lol: 

Considering the junk available in round 1 QB wise, we'd be better off with a later round and it's cheaper too.  Might not find that Montana in the 3rd or Brady in the 6th but it's safer considering our piss poor 1st round QB draft history. 

Damnit, I probably cursed us into picking up a 1st round QB.  

32 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Considering the junk available in round 1 QB wise, we'd be better off with a later round and it's cheaper too.  Might not find that Montana in the 3rd or Brady in the 6th but it's safer considering our piss poor 1st round QB draft history. 

Damnit, I probably cursed us into picking up a 1st round QB.  

After Jack Thompson, Klingler and Akille, we have to be due!!!

Archived