Bengals looking to change uniforms in the near future?

Hi Geoff, Alex here, writing to you from Richmond, VA. Been reading your pieces for write a long time. All of my adult life to be honest and I would like to take a moment to commend you for the excellent work you do with the Bengals. Your connection to history and geography always impresses me. My question today in this perhaps boring time of the year is focused on uniforms and its relation to the recent coaching changes. I'm not here begging for a new uni change this season, but if one does happen, when do you think it might happen and do you think the Bengals will get it right? By right I mean keeping the stripes on the helmets but updating the jerseys, pants and socks. If you take the stripes off the helmets, are we really the Cincinnati Bengals who play in the jungle? The coolest helmet design in the NFL in my opinion. Alex, Richmond, VA

ALEX: Thanks for reaching out with the compliment. It certainly means a lot. I think new unis are on the radar and they’re looking at it, but it is a multi-year process. Just going back to the last coaching change, they went to new uniforms in Marvin Lewis’ second season so that might mean it’s not imminent but I also think it’s a point of discussion. Couldn’t agree with you more on the helmet and I would say that’s an organization-wide sentiment.

It was 38 years ago last week when the Bengals unveiled that striped helmet and founder Paul Brown observed, “When the Rams came out with their helmets and those horns on them, everybody rolled off their chairs, laughing. But now they’ve probably got the most distinctive helmets in the league and the other teams would like to have the same thing … Now when people see us on TV, they know it’s our team.”

Brown’s words ring as true today as they did then. And it puts another wrinkle into the London game against the Rams given it is only the 14th time the NFL’s two most recognizable helmets have butted against each other.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-who-do-you-like-in-the-nfl-draft

Please God yes. The helmets are fine but the current unis are horrible, especially the orange jerseys. Orange is just not meant to be anything other then an accent color. In a perfect world, they would keep the helmet and go back  to the 70's era uniforms. In a more perfect world they would also use the running tiger carrying a football.

What they will probably do is find whoever did the Titans/Bucs/Seahawks unis and use whatever they vomit out. :31:

I've said my piece, gotta go back to binge watching "Queer Eye for The Straight Guy".  :24:

14 hours ago, gupps said:

Please God yes. The helmets are fine but the current unis are horrible, especially the orange jerseys. Orange is just not meant to be anything other then an accent color. In a perfect world, they would keep the helmet and go back  to the 70's era uniforms. In a more perfect world they would also use the running tiger carrying a football.

What they will probably do is find whoever did the Titans/Bucs/Seahawks unis and use whatever they vomit out. :31:

I've said my piece, gotta go back to binge watching "Queer Eye for The Straight Guy".  :24:

Bucco Bruce loves the orange unis

TampaBayBuccaneersOld.0.0.jpg

Typically I'd say animal print should be reserved for women, but the helmets should not be touched. Agree with the OP, best helmets in the league. As dark of a time as it was, the 90s had the best design in my opinion. Always liked the leaping tiger, miss seeing it at midfield. Now we just have that big stupid B.797_2.jpg.a12c52019ae97b99393d5fcb1e0071c3.jpg

I have always like the black helmets with the orange stripes.. What if the helmets were a matte black with shiny or matte orange stripes? If we had black uniforms we would use those, and white uniforms we could use a white tiger helmet?

10 hours ago, Griever said:

Typically I'd say animal print should be reserved for women, but the helmets should not be touched. Agree with the OP, best helmets in the league. As dark of a time as it was, the 90s had the best design in my opinion. Always liked the leaping tiger, miss seeing it at midfield. Now we just have that big stupid B.797_2.jpg.a12c52019ae97b99393d5fcb1e0071c3.jpg

For comparison, is the previous version they wore 1981-95.  I always thought I preferred the original stripes, but now I think the 1996-2002 version was probably better.  I'm not sure it would work today, but it would make a good starting point for an update.  I like the striping pattern on the current pants, but that and the helmet are about the only things that aren't horrible.

james-brooks-bengals.jpg

5 hours ago, snarkster said:

Don't touch the helmets, but I'm fine with a new set of Jerseys.  Hate that the No Fun League won't allow alternate helmets with the Color Rush unis.  Would love to see these (or the black on white version).

BIn0M_6CYAEgCQW.png:large

Damn, that looks badass

19 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Go back to the original Bengal uniform..from 1937

WCPO_1937_Bengals_Uniform_1511423894741_

Side note:

https://www.profootballarchives.com/playerr/rose01300.html

1936 Cincinnati Treslers (MWFL)

https://www.profootballarchives.com/1937aflcin.html

1937 Cincinnati Bengals (AFL)

https://www.si.com/vault/1975/12/22/616718/sportsman-of-the-year

Not so sure Harry Francis Rose played for the Cincinnati Bengals.  Maybe the Treslers…  There is even an entire article in SI about Pete Rose including his father's belonging to the Bengals and had a team mate named Whitey Willenborg.  Can't find either one of them on the Bengals.  However, I did find proof that I was right about how the Bengals were named.

peterose01.jpg

The 1932 NFL Championship game was played between the Chicago Bears and another of Ohio's early NFL teams, the Portsmouth Spartans. Due to extreme weather, the NFL did not want to risk losing the revenues they desperately needed in those days from either a cancellation or seriously-reduced attendance. It was scheduled to have been played at Wrigley Field, but they switched it to be played in Chicago Stadium (where the Bulls and Blackhawks used to play). The circus was in town, so there was already dirt on the floor--all was needed was sod to be placed over top. As it was inside, the field had to be reduced to 60 yards. This could also be called the first Arena League game! 

1932_Championship-Action.jpg  

The Bears won 9-0. Not exactly the Philadelphia Soul/Arizona Rattlers.

9 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The 1932 NFL Championship game was played between the Chicago Bears and another of Ohio's early NFL teams, the Portsmouth Spartans. Due to extreme weather, the NFL did not want to risk losing the revenues they desperately needed in those days from either a cancellation or seriously-reduced attendance. It was scheduled to have been played at Wrigley Field, but they switched it to be played in Chicago Stadium (where the Bulls and Blackhawks used to play). The circus was in town, so there was already dirt on the floor--all was needed was sod to be placed over top. As it was inside, the field had to be reduced to 60 yards. This could also be called the first Arena League game! 

1932_Championship-Action.jpg  

The Bears won 9-0. Not exactly the Philadelphia Soul/Arizona Rattlers.

Back when it was perfectly acceptable for a championship (or any) game to end 9-0.  The TV network would shit a live goose.  Goodell would have to cry on camera to keep his job.  Utter chaos.  They'd probably let Janet Jackson back onstage instead of playing the 2nd half.

This team is pigeonholed into keeping the stripes. I would love them to go retro, but they won't. As boring as the original duds were, they looked good on the field. Helmet won't change in another 100 years, when they are the Kelloggs Tokyo Tigers with pictures of cereal on the helmet..

Expect more absurd patterns and swooshes etc. 

Why did I pick this team to follow?

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Back when it was perfectly acceptable for a championship (or any) game to end 9-0.  The TV network would shit a live goose.  Goodell would have to cry on camera to keep his job.  Utter chaos.  They'd probably let Janet Jackson back onstage instead of playing the 2nd half.

True, and so damn depressing. I thought the last Super Bowl was one of the best in years. Idiots want to be the NBA with helmets.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping an ancient dead thread but just saw this.

A Marvel comic influenced Symbiotets helmet.

Let's be honest, I'm not a Marvel movie fan and don't even know what it is, personally,

but I think the helmet is cool as H E Double and would love to see them adopt it.

I also would like peace in the Middle East and to wake up with Taylor Swift and her little

squinty eyes in my bed.

Cincy-pp.jpg.60066d39675fbaa1301580f8f9eb4784.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For them, that is going away. They were given a window of "transition" after they screwed St. Louis--allowing them to use their St. Louis-era uniforms/helmets on a limited games basis. This allowance is ending in 2020 IIRC. Their NFL-recognized official helmet, etc, is the white horned one. 

The helmets should never be changed. They are the best in all of football  (pro, college, etc). 

But the uniforms should be adjusted with even more emphasis on stripes. I wish the NFL would make an exception that the Bengals instead of white and black -- can have orange jerseys and pants (with black stripes on them) for both home and away games (essentially not having a white or black jersey) --- since those are the colors of an actual tiger and would match the helmet which is orange with black stripes.

This way the Bengals would play in the same uniform for both home and away (just have 2 sets of the same one). I would also have the pants fully striped, not a band along the side ...

Image result for tiger striped pants

I was surprised to hear that the stripes are actually painted onto the helmets, which is why we can't use the "BENGALS" throwbacks. I think it'd be cool to do for one or two games a year. The NFL just needs to get rid of the dumb one-helmet rule. 

Archived