Dave Lapham and Dan Hoard 2019 Draft Podcast

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Dillard is highly athletic.  His arms are a little short but not horribly so.  Best pass blocker in the draft.

I don't dislike the guy at all. This kinda feels like a "Bengal pick". It's just that as Jason said (and many draft "experts"), he's great at pass blocking and I guess a so-so run blocker. At #11, the guy should be good at both.

I wouldn't hate it but if Bush is on the board, it's a better pick IMO

Lapham said this draft isn't very top heavy. Thinks there is only 12 to 15 guys with a 1st round grade.

He thinks rounds 2 through 4 are where your money is going to be made.

Lapham likes Jonah Williams the best but thinks he will be gone. Said Dillard is the best pass protector in the draft.

Said Bush would be in the convo if he's there. Doesn't see much if any drop off between White and Bush.

Doesn't think they will draft Haskins. Thinks he should have stayed another year.

Said he hopes Haskins is there and the Bengals trade down and get another 3rd round pick.

Thinks we will will get Dexter Lawerance, Tytus Howard or Mack Wilson in the 2nd. 

I forgot who he said with the 3rd. I was disappointed he didn't mention Blake Cashman at all though

Seems like OT or LB are looking like the pick.  No surprise there.  I think Denver will take Bush before we pick.  Need to be prepared if it happens and Williams or Dillard would be fine by me.  Pass rusher would be the dark horse.  I also don't think they take Haskins and there's a good chance someone moves up to take him.

I picked Williams in the draft contest, but want them to get an LB. But I was guessing what Zac would do. I thought since he's an offense guy, his first pick would be there. Which would leave OT. Unless he really wants to shake it up and go QB. But I think he and Mikey want to give Dalton a chance with his offense. And not want to risk a rookie qb getting killed before he can fix the line. 

Also, the only real stud LB, Devin White, will be long gone. I won't be John Ross mad if they pick Bush or Dillard, but I think Williams is the fit if he's still there.

16 minutes ago, Hooky said:

If they decide on Dillard, how far can they trade back and still get him? They could get some good shit for an 11.

Dehners final mock came out and he has them trading back with Washington but taking Ford. Dillard might still be there then, but Ford is more of a Turner style lineman. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Dehners final mock came out and he has them trading back with Washington but taking Ford. Dillard might still be there then, but Ford is more of a Turner style lineman. 

That's scary...I think Ford is more of a guard and decent value in the 2nd round.  Of course I'm no scout, but I don't have a good feeling about Ford.  My "Could be there Bengals big board at 11 or 15" would be 1. Oliver 2. Bush 3. Williams 4. Dillard 5. Burns

20 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Lapham said this draft isn't very top heavy. Thinks there is only 12 to 15 guys with a 1st round grade.

He thinks rounds 2 through 4 are where your money is going to be made.

Lapham likes Jonah Williams the best but thinks he will be gone. Said Dillard is the best pass protector in the draft.

Said Bush would be in the convo if he's there. Doesn't see much if any drop off between White and Bush.

Doesn't think they will draft Haskins. Thinks he should have stayed another year.

Said he hopes Haskins is there and the Bengals trade down and get another 3rd round pick.

Thinks we will will get Dexter Lawerance, Tytus Howard or Mack Wilson in the 2nd. 

I forgot who he said with the 3rd. I was disappointed he didn't mention Blake Cashman at all though

This makes me happy.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:52 PM, Jason said:

Dillard is highly athletic.  His arms are a little short but not horribly so.  Best pass blocker in the draft.

How short we talkin'?  T-Rex Short?  Can't reach his junk to tap short?  Don't go all the way down to his hands short? 

32 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I know it's a "New-Day" so Lapham may or may not have the same level of access he did when Marvin was here, but when was the last time Lapham got it wrong?

Last year. He called Ragnow. He also missed WJIII, picked Fuller. But usually if his guy is there, he’s right. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Last year. He called Ragnow. He also missed WJIII, picked Fuller. But usually if his guy is there, he’s right. 

But in both cases it seems he still nailed the position of the player he thought they would take.

Archived