Bengals Pick up William Jackson's 5th year option

The Bengals have exercised their fifth-year option on cornerback William Jackson, according to a team announcement. The additional year keeps him under control through 2020, though it is guaranteed for injury only. 

Chosen with the No. 24 overall pick in 2016, Jackson missed his entire rookie year due to injury. In his re-do year, he mostly served as a backup. However, he started in all 16 of the Bengals’ games last year and tallied 41 tackles. For his work, Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 26th best cornerback in the entire NFL, despite the fact that he did not record a single interception.

Jackson is just the latest 2016 first-round pick to have his fifth-year option exercised. 

On 4/24/2019 at 5:59 PM, gupps said:

Good, now lets work on a long term extension.

I would say this is a prove it year for Jackson, he has to make more big plays in order to get an extension, imo.

If he doesn't make an interception or 4 this year he's not going to have a big FA market. 

I'm fine with having a shutdown corner that doesn't get INTs. I always figure that if they could catch worth a damn they'd be on offense. INTs usually come from rushed QB's in desperate situations. We didn't create many of those last year.

Since that pick 6 against Aaron Rodgers, and his shutting down of Antonio Brown, teams have been very reluctant to throw his way.

His greatest assets are tight man to man coverage, and his closing speed after being beat.

It will be interesting to see how he handles ODB this upcoming season

16 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Since that pick 6 against Aaron Rodgers, and his shutting down of Antonio Brown, teams have been very reluctant to throw his way.

His greatest assets are tight man to man coverage, and his closing speed after being beat.

It will be interesting to see how he handles ODB this upcoming season

What is ODB?

17 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The Wu Tang documentary will be on Showtime this weekend, check it out 

They all had such cool names.  I wish my mom had given me a cool name.  Inspectah Deck is in the house!

Archived