!!! Bengals 2019 First Round pick Jonah Williams !!!

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Nice pick.  Love the character and  work ethic.  Take home from his interviews is I want to get started now.  Take home from Haskins' interviews is I want a HOFer's retired number.  SMH. 

Interesting about the school bus thing.  In my neighborhood they definitely have designated bus stops.  The bus wont even go down certain streets. 

Haskins wants 33?

9 hours ago, kennethmw said:

I don't think so.  I think they went and got Miller to start.  

Probably, but I'm saying they should let him compete. Good depth at least inside. I also thought Hopkins did well filling in at center, if God forbid, they need him again.

9 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I feel like the Bengals got a great pick situation with the Jonah Williams pick. 

The fact that the Stealers clearly jumped in front of the Bengals at 10 and stole their first choice LB Devin White (and LB is a HUGE position of need for the Bengalis) is lost on nobody. We did it to them with the William Jackson III pick, so c'est la vie on that. 

But what I think I liked the most in this post-Marvin Lewis era is the decisiveness in which the pick came in. It's like, they had an actual plan, man. A Marvin-led regime would have panicked in the war room, used the entire clock, made some elaborate trade offers over the phone that Mike Brown would always politely kibosh and they draft John Ross.

OT is the 2nd largest position of need for my team. We whiffed HARD on the Ogbuehi and Fisher picks in Rounds 1-2 in the '16 draft. After letting their best OL Whitworth leave. That was a massive failure letting that guy go. Arguably the most unsung great LT of this generation. And yes, I am serious.

We were probably going with Williams any way, so they didn't steal a player if we weren't going to draft him. They can think they stole him but they could've traded up a few less spots or not at all and still got them. Joke's on them.

As far as Whitworth and the tragic draft picks at OL, good Lord, move on. What's the point of beating that dead horse yet again after we just took a huge step to remedy it? 

2 minutes ago, Hooky said:

We were probably going with Williams any way, so they didn't steal a player if we weren't going to draft him. They can think they stole him but they could've traded up a few less spots or not at all and still got them. Jokes on them.

As far as Whitworth and the tragic draft picks at OL, good Lord, move on. What's the point of beating that dead horse yet again after we just took a huge step to remedy it? 

I think it was more of the Bengals saying any of these next 3 guys will be difference makers day 1.  Probably had White and Bush in front of Williams but it didn't really matter which one they got, it was going to be a great player at a great position of need regardless of how it worked out.   There was no reason to move up in any case.  

55 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Haskins wants 33?

My bad.  Theismann is neither in the HOF nor is his number retired in Washington.  The headline I read suggested such, and I was too lazy to look into it.  It's actually nice that the kid wants to ask Theismann about using #7.  Not sure why he should have to though.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Probably, but I'm saying they should let him compete. Good depth at least inside. I also thought Hopkins did well filling in at center, if God forbid, they need him again.

I don't disagree at all.  I liked Hopkins play at center as well.  I think he's going to be the backup for anybody on the interior of the line.

Jonah Williams OL Alabama

by Drew Boylhart • January 6, 2019

STRENGTHS
Jonah reminds me a lot of former Left Tackle for the Browns Joe Thomas. He has excellent techniques and is consistent using those techniques on just about every down. He has good quick feet and stays on balance and also is smart and adapts to the athleticism of his opponent quickly after he gets beat but the truth is, at the college level he rarely got beat. Jonah shows the on the field leadership skills, that all excellent Left Tackles needs to have to be successful at the next level. He has a high football IQ and I know that because of the way he uses all the technique’s required, to play his position, with less size and pure athletic talent, than most have who play left tackle at a high productive level. Jonah has all the tools to be an excellent Left Tackle for the team that selects him and that’s why I call him Jonah (The Tool Man) Williams.

CONCERNS
I’d like to see him get a little bit better pad level and leverage when run blocking but I am nitpicking…you don’t select a left tackle because they are good run blockers, you select them because of their pass blocking and Jonah like I said, has all the tools to pass block. There is an issue about size and arm length that some teams use, (who checks boxes) as a way to evaluate players. Those teams will have a problem with Jonah’s size and will downgrade him because he’s not perfect. I don’t check boxes to evaluate players…I just look at the film. I know that’s crazy but, that’s just me.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1.38
You don’t find many offensive lineman using techniques as consistently as Jonah coming out of college into a draft very often. It’s a shame, but a fact and when you do find one, you’re foolish to pass up on them and not select them even if your have a pro bowl left tackle on your roster right now. With the fact that teams are not using blocking tight ends and full backs to help out with pass blocking both sides of the line need offensive tackles who can play on an island nowadays. Jonah has played both right and left tackle at a high level so suggesting that because he doesn’t check all the physical boxes to be a tackle, makes using the box method, in this case, a bit foolish as far as I’m concerned. So, check away and because Jonah doesn’t fit into your boxes don’t select him, I don’t care…but don’t come to me when he makes the pro bowl for the team that selected him, and your quarterback who he’s not protecting, is on a gurney being taken off the field along with your team’s chance for the playoffs. If you don’t think selecting Jonah early in this draft is smart than the truth is…you’re not a true Draftnik, you’re really just a poser

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeh, same. I've noticed that buses stop at every house now instead of having the kids group up at each corner or whatever.

Not in my school district they don't. My son had to walk to the nearest school to get his bus for high school and go to a corner in middle school. 

9 hours ago, Hooky said:

We were probably going with Williams any way, so they didn't steal a player if we weren't going to draft him. They can think they stole him but they could've traded up a few less spots or not at all and still got them. Joke's on them.

I have moved on from it, I just felt it was worth noting only because had those picks hit (Ogbuehi, Fisher) than not only would our pick in this draft likely have been different, but it cools the Whitworth release narrative too because the replacements would have been deemed worthy.

30 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I have moved on from it, I just felt it was worth noting only because had those picks hit (Ogbuehi, Fisher) than not only would our pick in this draft likely have been different, but it cools the Whitworth release narrative too because the replacements would have been deemed worthy.

He wasn't released. He signed with another team for more money.

Been a long time since I've posted, but I am always lurking around.  Very excited about this pick.   Was very curious where the new regime would go with this pick.  I'm old school (shout out to oldschooler!) and thrilled they went OL, down in the trenches, the foundation of any offense.  This got my attention.   

Archived