Best Available for day 2

There appears to be a lot of solid value on the offensive line and at cornerback that will be available. I'd be OK with a pick in either area. Crazy how piss poor this draft class is at LB. I think they should wait until the third round to address the position as a pick in the second feels like it would be a reach. I really wish they were more proactive in free agency here. A player like Jordan Hicks could have made a world of difference.

I'm thinking Khalen Saunders will be the pick.  Need to address the defense.  Geno and Carlos are nearing the end of their careers, Lawson hasn't shown he can stay healthy and Glas is coming off of a knee injury.  We need and edge player and an interior guy.  Add to that a LB, I hope the next few picks are on D if the value is there.  

If we go offense, I hope it's not a QB.  Get a TE (can't depend on Eiftert and Uzi is just a guy).  Get another OT.  If Risner is there and Saunders isn't, that's who I'd go with.  I think I heard they like Ferguson (Jaylon?) as an edge guy.  I don't know much about him.

I guess if they are dead set on LB they could trade down (assuming this is close to all the teams board) or overdraft which I've posted before I have no problem with. If Risner or Ford or Taylor are there and they pull the trigger, they are pretty much locked in to take D for the next couple picks. If they go secondary i'd take Adderly rather then a CB but thats just me.

Juan Thornhill from Virginia would be a good safety pick as well.  Used to play corner, lots of versatility.  If I had my picks, I hope they get a some combination of Khalen Saunders (DT), Max Scharping (OT) and Blake Cashman (LB).

17 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Anyone you don't want in 2? I don't really want Dremont Jones

I still don’t want Lock. 

If we take a CB early I want a guy who can play the slot. The one LB left I really want is Cashman and I wouldn’t be mad if they took him at 42

Other than that I wouldn’t mind Ford or Taylor, a WR or DL. 

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

I still don’t want Lock. 

If we take a CB early I want a guy who can play the slot. The one LB left I really want is Cashman and I wouldn’t be mad if they took him at 42

Other than that I wouldn’t mind Ford or Taylor, a WR or DL. 

I could see us reaching a bit for a LB in 2. I like cashman and coney a lot.

I wanted to like Burr-Kirven but the memory of him getting driven 10 yards off the ball every play vs OSU is too fresh. He was getting some round 1 hype at one time.

I think right now, I'm on the draft Dalton Risner bus.  I'd be happy with an O-line of Glenn - Boling - Price - Risner - Williams with Westerman, Miller, Hart and Hopkins as the backups.  Add in another backup like Rod Taylor or someone off the waiver wire if they want to go with 10 Offensive Linemen.  If not Risner, I could easily be sold on Cody Ford or Eric McCoy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with someone like WR AJ Brown or TE Jace Sternberger (would be considered a reach until Eifert gets injured again).  It would all depend on whether they're more worried about injuries to the TEs on the team or the possibility of losing Tyler Boyd in the near future.

In the third, I can see them going after RB Miles Sanders or one of Cashman, Pratt or Coney depending on which of the linebackers are there.  If none of the LBs are appealing then maybe someone like S Juan Thornhill if he's still around.

47 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I could see us reaching a bit for a LB in 2. I like cashman and coney a lot.

I wanted to like Burr-Kirven but the memory of him getting driven 10 yards off the ball every play vs OSU is too fresh. He was getting some round 1 hype at one time.

Unless we think Malik Jefferson is the answer or we're going to go after one of the FA LB's, we need to make sure we get someone.  I understand that some of you don't like Mack Wilson, but I think of the incompletes that are left, he has the most Floor. Some other's may have more upside, but I think he can come in and start.  And I like the Idea that he played at Alabama, under a head coach that understands NFL defensive concepts.  Just my two cents, I'm not going to bitch if they see someone they like better.

5 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Unless we think Malik Jefferson is the answer or we're going to go after one of the FA LB's, we need to make sure we get someone.  I understand that some of you don't like Mack Wilson, but I think of the incompletes that are left, he has the most Floor. Some other's may have more upside, but I think he can come in and start.  And I like the Idea that he played at Alabama, under a head coach that understands NFL defensive concepts.  Just my two cents, I'm not going to bitch if they see someone they like better.

I'd be cool with Wilson in 2. Forgot about him

Not my 1st choice of what's left, but wouldn't complain about Irv Smith if he's BPA.  Actually hoping for one of the OL.  Williams & Taylor as bookend OT's for the next decade make me very happy, as would Ford at guard with Glenn moving to RT.

3 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I'd be cool with Wilson in 2. Forgot about him

I think the chance for an impact LB vanished when the double Devins went before we picked @ 11.  Not sure Wilson's an impact guy or that much better than what will be there in the 3rd round.  If he is BPA (or at least one of the top three or four guys remaining on their board, fine, but there are a lot of really good guys still out there.  Don't pass on a prospective impact guy elsewhere for a need.

9 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Not my 1st choice of what's left, but wouldn't complain about Irv Smith if he's BPA.  Actually hoping for one of the OL.  Williams & Taylor as bookend OT's for the next decade make me very happy, as would Ford at guard with Glenn moving to RT.

I hate that I think this way, but there's not much of a chance we'd re-sign both.  We'd have Williams for five years and Taylor (who's knee injury pushed him down) for four years.  If they both play above average we'd have to pay them both crazy amounts of $$ to keep them.  In theory I think it's a great idea, but sinking that much money into one position group is tough.  We may end up doing something like that for AJ and TB at WR so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

fwiw on Malik Jefferson, a few of the draft sharp types said if he was in this draft he would be around 5th best LBer. Considering Marvin and company never took his bubble wrap off, really, there is a chance that he is an in-house upgrade. I have no idea how this new coaching staff views him - haven't read any comments from them on current in-house options, I guess. 

22 minutes ago, snarkster said:

I think the chance for an impact LB vanished when the double Devins went before we picked @ 11.  Not sure Wilson's an impact guy or that much better than what will be there in the 3rd round.  If he is BPA (or at least one of the top three or four guys remaining on their board, fine, but there are a lot of really good guys still out there.  Don't pass on a prospective impact guy elsewhere for a need.

Preach.

55 minutes ago, membengal said:

fwiw on Malik Jefferson, a few of the draft sharp types said if he was in this draft he would be around 5th best LBer. Considering Marvin and company never took his bubble wrap off, really, there is a chance that he is an in-house upgrade. I have no idea how this new coaching staff views him - haven't read any comments from them on current in-house options, I guess. 

Marvin and Co whiffed on an awful lot of linebackers so I wouldn't be completely floored if Jefferson was another one. Even if they didn't, be a good idea to grab another one early.

Archived