??? Bengals 2019 SECOND Round pick TE Drew Sample ??? #52

A couple of points here:

1. For better or worse, it's pretty much accepted that the second round is when you go get "your guy".  I consider this an example of that.

2. I was actually wondering if they'd be targeting a guy like Hockenson or Fant, because play action can often include a lot of 2 TE sets.  The reality of that is you need at least one of those 2 TEs to be a top-shelf blocker, but if he's a reliable pass-catcher who can, say, get you a first down when he's wide open - that's gravy.  If Sample is that guy, he's not really a "backup" IMO, he's the blocker in a 2 TE set.  Yes it remains to be seen if that's the idea of how to use him, but if it is then I'm cool with this.

A couple of points here:

1. For better or worse, it's pretty much accepted that the second round is when you go get "your guy".  I consider this an example of that.
2. I was actually wondering if they'd be targeting a guy like Hockenson or Fant, because play action can often include a lot of 2 TE sets.  The reality of that is you need at least one of those 2 TEs to be a top-shelf blocker, but if he's a reliable pass-catcher who can, say, get you a first down when he's wide open - that's gravy.  If Sample is that guy, he's not really a "backup" IMO, he's the blocker in a 2 TE set.  Yes it remains to be seen if that's the idea of how to use him, but if it is then I'm cool with this.

Yeah ok because we could have drafted him in round four so keep telling yourself that this was a good pick. I also believe Uzomah is a blocking TE when we drafted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

42 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

A couple of points here:

It seems a little less dumb if I think of him as a 2nd OL pick but it's still a big reach

I stand behind the decision on this one. Been a long time since we've had a TE that could block anything let alone lay some wood. 

I do not like trading the other pick away however I'll support the new coach's decision. 

Lineman and linebackers is all we need, in my opinion. We are loaded at outside skill positions. Wouldn't be surprised to see almost all of the remaining picks go towards more linemen, linebackers and another TE. We get some guys that can actually block for Mixon,,,oh boy, watch out. 

Drew Sample TE Washington

by Drew Boylhart • April 10, 2019

STRENGTHS
Drew is a complete Tight End who can block and catch. His talents are similar to the Cowboys Jason Witten. Drew is an excellent in line blocker and does a solid job running routes but his ability to catch the ball with a big catch radius is accomplished because of the effort he gives to make the catch in any situation. Drew is a Tight Ends, Tight End. He shows excellent balance to make his blocks and good run “after the catch” skills because of his size and compact style of running, making it difficult for smaller LB’s, CB’s and Safeties to tackle him. Drew really showed his route running skills and Velcro like hands to catch the ball at the Senior Bowl practices but as it is his style, not many noticed.

CONCERNS
I do wish he was a little faster but as long as the team that selects him keeps him to the normal Tight End routes and doesn’t try to make him into a wide receiver, Drew will impact.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2.00 
Do you really want to know why no one but me…is talking about Drew Sample? It’s because his quarterback couldn’t identify an 8 ft tall, open tight end receiver, standing in the middle of the field, waving his arms with Kim Kardashian standing next to him. I cannot tell how many times I saw on film, Drew wide open and his QB throw the ball to a covered receiver down the field. To be honest…I don’t know how Drew didn’t come back to the huddle and smack that QB in the back of the head. It shows what kind of teammate and the type of character Drew has, that he never got upset and just went back to work trying to block for him. This kid has the potential to start for the team that selects him for the next ten years and have a career that will make fans fall in love with him. He will be a fan favorite and a core player for the team the selects him. Believe it. If he was faster and flashier, and if his QB only would have passed the ball to him, someone else, other than me might have taken notice…you can bet the scouts did.

Bengals Sample Versatility With TE

Hoard-Dan-160505-(head shot)-001

Dan Hoard

BENGALS RADIO BROADCASTER

Washington tight end Drew Sample (88) catches a pass for a touchdown against Utah State as Washington's Lavon Coleman (22) looks on in the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015, in Seattle. Washington beat Utah State 31-17. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Ted S. Warren
Drew Sample is known as a blocker, but made TD catches like this for Washington.

When the Bengals traded down from Nos. 42 to 52 in exchange for an extra fourth-round (125) and sixth-round (182) picks from Denver, tight ends coach James Casey grew concerned that Washington’s Drew Sample would no longer be available.

“I was very nervous about it knowing that we had him rated high,” said Casey. “As you travel around and go to all the pro days and talk to the other tight ends coaches around the league, you get a sense of how they feel about certain guys. I have no doubt that a lot of teams around the NFL had this guy rated really high. I know that media guys might not have had him rated as one of the top tight ends, but guys that watch ball and watch the film know that this guy is a really good player.”

Cincinnati’s second round selection is a 6-5, 250 pound throwback tight end, known more for his blocking than his pass catching. He had a total of 21 receptions in his first three seasons at Washington before hauling in 25 catches for 252 yards and three touchdowns as a senior.   

“He didn’t catch a ton of passes in college but some of that was just scheme and what they were doing offensively,” said Casey. “But he’s a very good blocker and I think he’s going to come in and contribute right away.”

“I feel like I’m a complete player,” Sample said via conference call. “I had one year of good production and I think my best football is ahead of me in that regard. I’m definitely excited to be able to showcase my ability as a complete tight end.”

After Tyler Kroft signed as a free agent with Buffalo in the offseason, the Bengals only tight ends on the roster with more than five career receptions are C.J. Uzomah and Tyler Eifert.

“He gives us something different than C.J. and Tyler,” said offensive coordinator Brian Callahan. “I think they’ll all complement each other very well. He does a lot of things well. He’s eligible in the pass game, he runs well, he catches well, he blocks well, he’s tough, he’s smart – he’s exactly the type of character guy that we want in our locker room and on our team. He checks all the boxes in that regard. He has a skill set that is going to bolster our tight end room and make that position more valuable and versatile in our system.”

Casey said that Sample jumped out on tape for his sound technique and versatility.

“As a former player, I was in a similar system to this and you want tight ends that can kind of do everything,” he said. “It’s great to have the pass catcher guy, but then you’re pigeonholed where you kind of have to split him out a lot and let him run routes because he’s a vulnerability in the run game. And you don’t want that big, stiff, solid blocker guy because he can’t get out and run routes and you can’t create any mismatches. You want that guy that can do it all and I think he is a guy that can do a lot of different things.”

Washington tight end Drew Sample runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Saturday, March 2, 2019. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)

Michael Conroy/Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Sample, here at the combine, can run after catch.

Eifert’s injury history made the tight end position a logical spot for the Bengals to add depth in the draft, but Callahan bristled at the notion that Sample is an insurance policy.

“I wouldn’t call it an insurance policy,” he said. “I think Drew Sample is a really good player. I wouldn’t view him at all as insurance; I’d view him as an addition that will certainly help us. And a young player that we feel really good about.”

After drafting the top-rated offensive lineman in the draft in the first round in Jonah Williams, the second round selection of a tight end with the ability to be a dominant, in-line blocker was not a coincidence.

“I think we want to be a dominant run offense and all the pieces we can gather to do that we’re all for,” said Callahan. “This division is notorious for being hard and tough. And playing late in the season in tough weather – I love everything about it – but it’s reputation is a physical one. So the more physical we can be the better. I think the players we have added speak to that.”

“The M.O. of our team (at Washington) was to pound the rock and then play-action off of that,” said Sample. “I definitely took pride in being able to be the focal point in that regard because we used our tight ends in a lot of different ways. I definitely took pride in opening holes for Myles (Gaskin) and our other running backs and I will definitely do whatever I can to help the team. That’s what I was able to do at Washington for sure.”

Sample was a four-year starter for the Huskies and caught a touchdown pass against Ohio State in the Rose Bowl last year. Like Jonah Williams, he exhibits the personality traits that the Bengals new coaching staff is seeking.

“There is certainly a character profile that we look for and both of these young men have that,” said Callahan. “They’re guys that love football. They’re smart, they’re tough, they’re dependable, and they’re the type of players that you want in your locker room and the type of players you want on your team.”

“One of the most impressive guys that I’ve been around as far as his intelligence,” said Casey. “I don’t know if he wants to do this in the future but even as young as he is I could see him wanting to be a coach one day. Any question you asked him about the offense they ran at Washington he knew everything about it. He knew what everybody was doing and knew how to articulate it.

“I think the guys in our locker room are going to love him and he’s going to fit into our group.”

I’d love to hear from you at Dan.Hoard@Bengals.nfl.net

If you’re on Twitter, you can follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-sample-versatility-with-te

Here's what they said on CBS NFL TE rankings:

Sleeper: Drew Sample

Sample is not only a fundamentally sound blocker with his hands and balanced base, he can really move people in the run game. 

From what it seems, he may have been the Best blocking TE in the Draft, and also a solid receiver when asked. 

13 hours ago, Duluoz said:

Wow....just fuggin' wow...I  know the coaches doing the actual drafting have like 1,000 times the info we do at home on our couches, but I have ZERO idea what they were thinking on this one.

If the player is actually what they say he is, I really like this pick.

One of the things I have hated about this team previously was that the WR's and TE's have been HORRENDOUS blockers. That really prevents long runs from taking place.

If we are really about the run the Kubiak offense, you're going to need a TE who can block on the line, but can also at least be a threat in the play action. 

If this guy is really that, then he'll be a HUGE cog in the offense. 

It seems as if the Bengals are honestly trying to improve their blocking and invested in it early with players who are supposed to be the best at there position when it comes to blocking.

Dalton and the gang should be happy because this pick makes them better and hopefully the Bengals take another tackle and LB in the next two rounds. 

They drafted him to stay on right side of the line and help Hart.

I  question most Bengals picks as every other fan. I am over it. Kid sounds like a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders. I think he will be fine.

1 minute ago, Kochman said:

They drafted him to stay on right side of the line and help Hart.

I  question most Bengals picks as every other fan. I am over it. Kid sounds like a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders. I think he will be fine.

You sure Hart is starting?

At this point, I think its a competition between Hart and Glenn. As long as Glenn is healthy, I'd assume he'd win that. 

2 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You sure Hart is starting?

At this point, I think its a competition between Hart and Glenn. As long as Glenn is healthy, I'd assume he'd win that. 

Just how the Bengals do things,  I could see them moving on from Glenn. His past history with injuries and his cap #. I personally  would love to see Hart on the bench but I don't think thats what the Bengals will do. I like Glenn alot better than Hart and was happy we traded for him.

9 hours ago, BengalBuckeye said:

...we could have drafted him in round four ....

Everybody accepts that as gospel,  because that's what all the mock drafts say, but obviously the Bengals thought otherwise and believed he would be gone by then. Yes, most of you believe yourselves sharper than the men paid to do the actual drafting, because you are after-all, armed with free draft guides, but I'll defer to the coaches on this one.

well, hopefully the guy who's review compared him to Jason Whitten is the smartest guy around.

I'm feeling less bummed than I was last night. I love the commitment to run the football. I read somebody's assessment that the kid is a mauler. As well as Mixon ran last year I think he still has more juice in the tank. If we in fact get better in the run game, everything on offense improves of course.

I'll sip a little kool-aid and hope we can find some defensive gems today.

I don't get the hate around this pick. Mel Kiper's rankings are not definitive, or any of the other pundits. You can't get hung up on the ESPN rankings which are a crap shoot. If a player is a day 1 starter, then any round is worth taking him in, even the first. The Bengals needed a blocking TE, and Eifert is unreliable.

Sample is the type of TE that the Patriots or Ravens would draft and turn into an all-pro. Taylor is trying to bring a new toughness to the team and focus on the run - which is a good strategy. 

9 hours ago, BengalBuckeye said:

Yeah ok because we could have drafted him in round four so keep telling yourself that this was a good pick. I also believe Uzomah is a blocking TE when we drafted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

lol how do you know where someone is going to be picked?

Most had Greedy going top 15. How'd that work out. Arguing about draft value is irrelevant because we're not in the NFL circles. We depend on media to tell us. Since when is the media informed?

3 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Everybody accepts that as gospel,  because that's what all the mock drafts say, but obviously the Bengals thought otherwise and believed he would be gone by then. Yes, most of you believe yourselves sharper than the men paid to do the actual drafting, because you are after-all, armed with free draft guides, but I'll defer to the coaches on this one.

Also, the coaches know what they value and need from players in order to be successful, in theory, so it's very subjective as to the "ranking" of the draft prospects.

Kyler Murray was the the #1 overall pick because he was a great fit for the coach, same thing here. Sample obviously fit what our coaches are looking for and until he actually gets to play I say let's hold off on the negative bullshit because some random couch scout says Sample is a 4th round pick. 

If he can help improve the pass and run blocking then who cares if you think that maybe he could have been available a few rounds later?

Archived