??? Bengals 2019 SECOND Round pick TE Drew Sample ??? #52

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I don't get the hate around this pick. Mel Kiper's rankings are not definitive, or any of the other pundits. You can't get hung up on the ESPN rankings which are a crap shoot. If a player is a day 1 starter, then any round is worth taking him in, even the first. The Bengals needed a blocking TE, and Eifert is unreliable.

Sample is the type of TE that the Patriots or Ravens would draft and turn into an all-pro. Taylor is trying to bring a new toughness to the team and focus on the run - which is a good strategy. 

Well said👍

Lots of :frantics: going on. I was surprised by the selection but after reading through everything it sounds like not only was this not as much of a reach as originally thought, but that the kid can ball on the o-line and catch a few. Reggie Kelly anyone? Anyway, if that was their guy based around what they want to do, then that's their guy. All we can do is wait for the season to start.

43 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I don't get the hate around this pick. Mel Kiper's rankings are not definitive, or any of the other pundits. You can't get hung up on the ESPN rankings which are a crap shoot. If a player is a day 1 starter, then any round is worth taking him in, even the first. The Bengals needed a blocking TE, and Eifert is unreliable.

Sample is the type of TE that the Patriots or Ravens would draft and turn into an all-pro. Taylor is trying to bring a new toughness to the team and focus on the run - which is a good strategy. 

Because they could have taken him, or someone similar in 4.  I don't have anything against him, just the value of the pick.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because they could have taken him, or someone similar in 4.  I don't have anything against him, just the value of the pick.

Well Sample seemed to be their guy, they thought he would be gone

and they got a 4th and 6th pick to go with him. After processing it all for a few,

I'm not mad and actually like the pick. I heard someone compare him to Jason Witten. 

I'm lightening up on picking Samples and (uncharacteristically for me) am taking the high road.

Was Samples the guy of whom it was said the NFL gurus were higher on than the pulp fiction

media blahblahblahs?

If so, I would say the Bengals were also aware and also aware that he would be gone in three or four.

I would have traded up for Ford or Risner but they traded down for Samples.

But that's why I'm like Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson and not on the Bengals payroll.

Think of it this way.  How sweet will it be when he catches one over the middle and

tramples Devin Bush on his way to the end zone?

3 hours ago, Duluoz said:

Everybody accepts that as gospel,  because that's what all the mock drafts say, but obviously the Bengals thought otherwise and believed he would be gone by then. Yes, most of you believe yourselves sharper than the men paid to do the actual drafting, because you are after-all, armed with free draft guides, but I'll defer to the coaches on this one.

Perfectly put. I've been trying to say that since last night. And pretty much everybody that is bitching doesn't know shit about any of the players picked except what they read in the draft guides that are written by people that have never played football before. For the record, I don't know anything about them either. That's why I'm trusting the coaches and not shitting my pants.

lol how do you know where someone is going to be picked?
Most had Greedy going top 15. How'd that work out. Arguing about draft value is irrelevant because we're not in the NFL circles. We depend on media to tell us. Since when is the media informed?

I said fourth but the experts had him later. He is not a second round pick and keep telling yourself that so you will sleep better at night. I like the pick and had us drafting him in round five. A blocking TE isn’t going in round two unless he can do other things well. The knock on him is getting separation on his breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1 hour ago, BengalBuckeye said:

I said fourth but the experts had him later. He is not a second round pick and keep telling yourself that so you will sleep better at night. I like the pick and had us drafting him in round five. A blocking TE isn’t going in round two unless he can do other things well. The knock on him is getting separation on his breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Yeah, the experts are always right. Just ask Russell Wilson.  Or Antonio Brown.  Or Tom Brady.  Or Geno Atkins. Or many more.

I remember back when our offense could have been considered somewhat prolific (with Bratkowski running the show, everyone here has a short memory), we had a certain blocking tight end who was extremely important to the offense, Reggie Kelley (sp?) Every time he got injured, it seemed like we were fucked. If they think Sample is going to be that important to our offense, if they thought he was the most important piece of their puzzle, then I'm all for them using a second round pick on him.

2 hours ago, BengalsOwn said:

I remember back when our offense could have been considered somewhat prolific, we had a certain blocking tight end who was extremely important to the offense, Reggie Kelley (sp?) Every time he got injured, it seemed like we were fucked. If they think Sample is going to be that important to our offense, if they thought he was the most important piece of their puzzle, then I'm all for them using a second round pick on him.

A very good take on the potential of this pick.  Reggie Kelly was also a 2nd round pick (albeit  with Atlanta).  A TE that could do everything well.   Kelly was a key cog in the offense and locker room for those early Marvin/Palmer teams.  To be determined if Sample can be that guy,  but it appears that is what Taylor is looking for.   Hard for me to debate the Sample pick when looking in total at this draft.   They had a purpose and executed against that purpose/goal.    

1 hour ago, BengalsOwn said:

I remember back when our offense could have been considered somewhat prolific, we had a certain blocking tight end who was extremely important to the offense, Reggie Kelley (sp?) Every time he got injured, it seemed like we were fucked. If they think Sample is going to be that important to our offense, if they thought he was the most important piece of their puzzle, then I'm all for them using a second round pick on him.

Well Said!  That may be the best comp for him.  

11 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Yeah, the experts are always right. Just ask Russell Wilson.  Or Antonio Brown.  Or Tom Brady.  Or Geno Atkins. Or many more.

None of those guys were picked in second round. Nobody is saying he is a bad player, most are simply saying he wasn't worthy of a 2nd round pick. And for every Russell there is a Ryan Mallet, Colt McCoy, Kevin O'Connell and Michael Glennon.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

One thing I definitely like about this; they aren't depending on Eifert.

Yeah, seeing the money given to Uzomah and the importance built into this second round pick, Eiefert looks to be a passing downs play, almost guaranteed. Red zone delight, I’d say. 

Also, this pick all but guarantees this is Joe Mixon’s offense. Very little doubt there.

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

None of those guys were picked in second round. Nobody is saying he is a bad player, most are simply saying he wasn't worthy of a 2nd round pick. And for every Russell there is a Ryan Mallet, Colt McCoy, Kevin O'Connell and Michael Glennon.

I dunno, I read Zac’s comments along with some of the anonymous rumblings that the media was way lower on this guy than front offices were, I have to alt least accept that this guy deserves a chance. Zac just said he didn’t see Sample being there in the third. Why would anyone on this message board or even in the media know better?

Also, and maybe you don’t feel this way, but I have trouble presuming I have the resources and information the professionals have, therefore I usually can defer judgement until actual results can be measured.

2 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I dunno, I read Zac’s comments along with some of the anonymous rumblings that the media was way lower on this guy than front offices were, I have to alt least accept that this guy deserves a chance. Zac just said he didn’t see Sample being there in the third. Why would anyone on this message board or even in the media know better?

Also, and maybe you don’t feel this way, but I have trouble presuming I have the resources and information the professionals have, therefore I usually can defer judgement until actual results can be measured.

Zac on Samples

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/28/zac-taylor-explains-drew-sample-pick/

The Washington tight end at No. 52 in the second round was an unexpected move based on the general non-NFL consensus. So much so, in fact, Sample and his reps were also surprised.

Which is what tends to happen when a team takes a tight end primarily known for his blocking and boasts a career-high of just 25 receptions on a season in the second round.

But Taylor was blunt with the media about the move after the draft:

“There’s not too many details. I don’t think we would have gotten him in the third round. The more you watch the tape on him, he is a physical, does-it-the-way-you-want-it player. You look at his passing stats and say, ‘What’s up with that?’ But he does what you need him to do on first and second down in the passing game. It’s hard to find tight ends that are that physical and hard-nosed in the run game right now.”

Perhaps more notably, Taylor was short and sweet when asked how he feels if people outside his war room don’t like a move: “Nothing. We got a guy that we’re excited about and made our team better. That is going to come in all areas of football, we all know that. You can’t get caught up in that. That’s a guy we identified and liked and felt like we needed to go get.”

At the least, it is nice to see a Bengals coach identify what players he wants and go out and get them without hesitation. This is a much more in-depth explanation than fans would have received in the past, which is a nice bonus.

The reality is nobody knows for sure how Sample will play out and won’t for a few years. Taylor and his coaches are adamant Sample is much more than meets the eye, and no, he probably isn’t too worried if outsiders disagree.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A cut-to-the-chase straight forward no bullshit and smoke answer.  How refreshing after all those years of Clappy's non answers.

23 hours ago, BengalsOwn said:

I remember back when our offense could have been considered somewhat prolific (with Bratkowski running the show, everyone here has a short memory), we had a certain blocking tight end who was extremely important to the offense, Reggie Kelley (sp?) Every time he got injured, it seemed like we were fucked. If they think Sample is going to be that important to our offense, if they thought he was the most important piece of their puzzle, then I'm all for them using a second round pick on him.

Great post. Why is it so hard to figure out that the bottom line is that most coaches don't give a shit about the internet experts. They really wanted Sample and they got him. Why is it a head scratcher?

21 hours ago, SF2 said:

Jerome Simpson is a prime example of 2nd round picks that didn't work except for a front flip TD. But that has nothing to do with this pick.

And why don't people think that Sample's worthy of a second round pick? A guy they've never heard of before Friday night. People are stating as a matter of fact that we could've gotten him in the 4th. All that matters is where the Bengals valued him. Would people rather have Taylor heed to the internet experts?

Archived