Jump to content

oldschooler

??? Bengals 2019 SECOND Round pick TE Drew Sample ??? #52

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If a blocking TE is a 2nd round need, why didn't we just sign Jesse James in free agency? Detroit signed him for a bit less than we're paying Uzomah.

Actually, Jesse James deal is 4 yrs, 22 mil, Samples will be 4 yrs, 5.5 mil.  Can that help you answer your own question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jason said:

TEs often take a year to develop.  I do think there is a very good chance he is our "4 minute offense" TE though. And if he does that well, I'm happy.

 

Yeah, this is why I'm skeptical that he'll be overtaking the top two guys in the room unless there is an injury (very possible). Just adjusting to the speed and the size is probably enormous. I think UW was a pro-style offense so that should help. Running the other two guys out there doesn't indicate a clear run/pass situation. Running Drew out there right now might indicate a clear run situation, which is fine, like you mention, if we are trying to milk the clock or very close to the goalline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Actually, Jesse James deal is 4 yrs, 22 mil, Samples will be 4 yrs, 5.5 mil.  Can that help you answer your own question?

Yeah but Jesse James is a way cooler name, certainly worth the extra $16.5mil.  He could ride down the street on a horse during opening day Reds parade.  Epic marketing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

If a blocking TE is a 2nd round need, why didn't we just sign Jesse James in free agency? Detroit signed him for a bit less than we're paying Uzomah.

They obviously see him as more than a blocking TE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say Eifert and CJ are your game 1 starters. When Eifert gets injured, CJ moves in his spot and Drew takes CJ's. I was mad when they picked Sample. I like Parris Campbell there but Sample was who they wanted so I'm rooting for him to become the best TE ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They obviously see him as more than a blocking TE

He wasn't much of a pass catcher in college.  25 catches for 252 yards in the Pac-12 isn't exactly lighting it up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, whodey365 said:

I'd say Eifert and CJ are your game 1 starters. When Eifert gets injured, CJ moves in his spot and Drew takes CJ's. I was mad when they picked Sample. I like Parris Campbell there but Sample was who they wanted so I'm rooting for him to become the best TE ever. 

Hopefully Eifert stays healthy.  When the team has a healthy receiving TE, they make the playoffs, Gresham early on then Eifert.  Losing Eifert again would mean Ross HAS TO finally step up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He wasn't much of a pass catcher in college.  25 catches for 252 yards in the Pac-12 isn't exactly lighting it up.  

He apparently dropped nothing, and his QB was...not good. The Bengals clearly see him as more than just a blocking TE, and think his hands and speed will play. Lapham on his pod with Hoard said that the team had a high second round grade on him. For what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SF2 said:

He wasn't much of a pass catcher in college.  25 catches for 252 yards in the Pac-12 isn't exactly lighting it up.  

Go to youtube and watch a few of the tapes of every play he was in on for a given game.   I watched Auburn and Utah right after he was picked.  He's not just a "good" blocker, he's dominant.  There were a number of plays he was the block that sprung a run or turned a loss into a few yards.

 

Also, watch the routes they have him run.  He runs almost exclusively crossing routes and short outlet routes.  The times he heads up field, the routes are more vertical but the QB never looks in his direction unless he's running for his life, which coincidentally seems to be pretty much every time he drops back to pass and doesn't throw at his first target.   His numbers aren't telling because he wasn't actually used as a WR and was pretty much not thrown to whether he was open or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems relevant..

 

Quote

TALENT BOARD ROUND 2.00 
Do you really want to know why no one but me…is talking about Drew Sample? It’s because his quarterback couldn’t identify an 8 ft tall, open tight end receiver, standing in the middle of the field, waving his arms with Kim Kardashian standing next to him. I cannot tell how many times I saw on film, Drew wide open and his QB throw the ball to a covered receiver down the field. To be honest…I don’t know how Drew didn’t come back to the huddle and smack that QB in the back of the head. It shows what kind of teammate and the type of character Drew has, that he never got upset and just went back to work trying to block for him. This kid has the potential to start for the team that selects him for the next ten years and have a career that will make fans fall in love with him. He will be a fan favorite and a core player for the team the selects him. Believe it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, membengal said:

He apparently dropped nothing, and his QB was...not good. The Bengals clearly see him as more than just a blocking TE, and think his hands and speed will play. Lapham on his pod with Hoard said that the team had a high second round grade on him. For what it's worth.

He was a post and catch guy who didn't have to track mid range passes.  Damn fine blocker for sure.  He doesn't have separation speed or Eifert like ability to get open down field.   It is an interesting pick for a couple of reasons.  Its obvious the team was targeting a tight end early since they did so much study on the guy and actually chose him in round 2.  Not sure why they didn't look at a couple of other guys like Jace Sternberger or Irv Smith Jr who are more Eifert like which is the reason we went TE in round 2 after the olineman dried up isn't it?  There is no way anyone can say the team went BPA with this pick, it was a need pick.

 

Oh well, he should be a good contributor regardless I just think we picked him a bit early. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

Go to youtube and watch a few of the tapes of every play he was in on for a given game.   I watched Auburn and Utah right after he was picked.  He's not just a "good" blocker, he's dominant.  There were a number of plays he was the block that sprung a run or turned a loss into a few yards.

 

Also, watch the routes they have him run.  He runs almost exclusively crossing routes and short outlet routes.  The times he heads up field, the routes are more vertical but the QB never looks in his direction unless he's running for his life, which coincidentally seems to be pretty much every time he drops back to pass and doesn't throw at his first target.   His numbers aren't telling because he wasn't actually used as a WR and was pretty much not thrown to whether he was open or not.

I agree he is a damn good blocker.  Not argument here.  Jake Browning was a damn good college QB.  Washington played a ton of shit Pac-12 teams not named Auburn or Utah so acting as if Browning was never able to look past his first option is not exactly true.  Browning was the Pac-12 offensive player of the year in 2016 when the Huskies finished 4th in the polls.  The guy was a good college QB and is why the Vikings signed him as an UDFA. 

 

Sample didn't catch a lot of passes in college because they didn't use him much in the passing game at Washington.  They didn't need him to catch a lot of passes.   He did catch a TD pass against OSU in the Rose Bowl in January so that should make some of you happy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At one time Browning was looked at as a 1st round QB but he did not develop to that level. As various reports noted, Sample was open on many occasions and Browning simply did not see him. Huddle Report calls him a Jason Whitten, I will take 75% of him please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consensus seems to be that picking Sample at #52 was a reach.  The Bengals didn't think he'd last another round so they took him earlier than most expected (including Sample himself).  It doesn't make it a terrible pick.  His blocking ability is unquestioned.  He tested well at the combine and has shown good hands despite limited chances.  There was a need at TE and clearly they weren't banking on Eifert when they drafted Sample as early as they did.  For now, I'll drink the kool aid and believe what they've been saying about scheme fit and Sample's upside as a pass catcher.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 10:14 PM, kennethmw said:

Actually, Jesse James deal is 4 yrs, 22 mil, Samples will be 4 yrs, 5.5 mil.  Can that help you answer your own question?

Whomever we took at 52 would get the same contract.  The comparison is between James and Uzomah, who got 18.3 mil for 3 years. We could have signed a quality blocking TE in free agency, saved some cash to boot and used our 2nd round pick on another good player. If we'd taken Haskins in round 1 as I'd hoped, then Risner would have been available at our original spot of 42. 

 

We're Bengals fans so maybe Opportunity Cost is an unfamiliar concept here. But not participating in free agency has costs. Taking Ross instead of Watson or Mahomes has costs, etc. It's not a mystery why we haven't won a playoff game in 28 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Whomever we took at 52 would get the same contract.  The comparison is between James and Uzomah, who got 18.3 mil for 3 years. We could have signed a quality blocking TE in free agency, saved some cash to boot and used our 2nd round pick on another good player. If we'd taken Haskins in round 1 as I'd hoped, then Risner would have been available at our original spot of 42

 

We're Bengals fans so maybe Opportunity Cost is an unfamiliar concept here. But not participating in free agency has costs. Taking Ross instead of Watson or Mahomes has costs, etc. It's not a mystery why we haven't won a playoff game in 28 years.

 

The way it worked out, I get the feeling that for some reason they weren't as interested in Risner as fans / media people were.  From things I've read, they were trying to trade up in the 2nd round to get either Greg Little or Cody Ford.  The Broncos had to be on the phone with the Bengals during the time for their first pick of the 2nd round (#9) working out the trade for the Bengals pick (#10).  If the Bengals were already trying to trade up to make sure that they got one of the three then they should have been able trade with the Raiders get in front of the Broncos for Risner.  Otherwise, the Bengals could have just stayed there and forced the Broncos to choose between getting Lock or not.  There just wouldn't have been a reason to trade back to let the Broncos come up and get Lock if Denver had actually just ruined their plans to get Risner.  Since Denver claims to have wanted to move up to get ahead of the Saints, Dolphins and possibly others that they thought wanted to take Lock, they had to have known that they could work with the Bengals to get both guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, if we'd covered our needs in free agency and taken Haskins in round 1, then it would make sense to trade up in round 2 for the player we wanted most if there was a positional run. If we passed on Jonah Williams, then the other tackles would have been bumped down a spot. I'd have just stayed at 42 and taken Greedy Williams as a nickelback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Consensus seems to be that picking Sample at #52 was a reach.  The Bengals didn't think he'd last another round so they took him earlier than most expected (including Sample himself).  It doesn't make it a terrible pick.  His blocking ability is unquestioned.  He tested well at the combine and has shown good hands despite limited chances.  There was a need at TE and clearly they weren't banking on Eifert when they drafted Sample as early as they did.  For now, I'll drink the kool aid and believe what they've been saying about scheme fit and Sample's upside as a pass catcher.  

Among draftnicks.  Apparently the teams had a much different grade on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Among draftnicks.  Apparently the teams had a much different grade on him.

I saw Kat Terrell reported that and it very well could be true.  McShay had him at #72 overall so maybe they're right that he would not make it back to them in the 3rd.  I would call Sample a sleeper pick since he had almost no statistics before last year.  He never really had a chance to shine as a pass catcher at Washington but I'm sure there were multiple teams who were interested besides the Bengals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump:

 

Quote

 Speaking of tight ends, another guy who stood out at rookie minicamp was Cincinnati second-round pick Drew Sample. Tight end is an important position in the Bengals’ offense, so it would be huge in Zac Taylor’s first year if the team nailed that pick. The staff sees Sample, an outstanding blocker with good receiver skills, playing the role as the traditional ‘Y’ tight end, the same role that Tyler Higbee did in that offense for the Rams. If he’s healthy, Tyler Eifert would then slide into the ‘F’ role as the move tight end, to generate mismatches. And the good news here is that Sample has already shown a pretty good ability to pick up what’s being taught and apply it, which is obviously key to contributing as a rookie.

-From Albert Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/13/vikings-cap-space-kyle-rudolph-browns-odell-beckham-jr-rookie-minicamps-dahale-warring-drew-sample

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tight end is an important position in the Bengals’ offense, so it would be huge in Zac Taylor’s first year if the team nailed that pick"

 

OK, one reads other places that TE is not an important position in the neo-Ram system, now it is. Which is it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

"Tight end is an important position in the Bengals’ offense, so it would be huge in Zac Taylor’s first year if the team nailed that pick"

 

OK, one reads other places that TE is not an important position in the neo-Ram system, now it is. Which is it?  

Are those “other places” just referring to TE as a pass-catching option, or the position as a whole?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams just don't really utilize the TE position in their pass routes like the Bengals have with Eifert.

of course the Rams have never had a Eifert-type TE either.....they do have a bunch of guys like Sample however that perform very specific roles within that offense.

 

Drew Sample = Tyler Higbee in this offense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Rams just don't really utilize the TE position in their pass routes like the Bengals have with Eifert.

of course the Rams have never had a Eifert-type TE either.....they do have a bunch of guys like Sample however that perform very specific roles within that offense.

 

Drew Sample = Tyler Higbee in this offense.

 

I can't recall which poster on here made this potential comparison, but in terms of Bengals history, I'm pulling for a Rodney Holman type impact / comparison.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Are those “other places” just referring to TE as a pass-catching option, or the position as a whole?

 

 

Can't say exactly. The comments were not by posters here...rather by outside media squawking heads. Frankly, I have no idea what the Rams did or didn't do with their TE's...but Spicoli's rationalization makes sense I suppose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×