??? Bengals 2019 SECOND Round pick TE Drew Sample ??? #52

On 4/27/2019 at 8:12 PM, BengalBuckeye said:

I said fourth but the experts had him later. He is not a second round pick and keep telling yourself that so you will sleep better at night. I like the pick and had us drafting him in round five. A blocking TE isn’t going in round two unless he can do other things well. The knock on him is getting separation on his breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Wrong. He just did. He is a second round pick. 

55 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Not saying Taylor is trying to make the Bengals into LA Rams Midwest but Sample appears to me the kind of TE the Rams would take.  A strong blocker with sure hands.

They will throw to him enough to keep the defense honest and his size will cause some matchup issues. 

CJ Uzomah is a big strong blocker with good hands as well.  If this pick is purely a replacement for Eifert then it is perplexing since they are completely different animals.   Bengals just resigned Uzomah to a 3 year deal so Sample wasn't chosen to take his job I don't think.  

Also,  this is NOT the kind of TE the Rams would take.  They tried to sign Eifert last off season because they wanted someone who could run routes. TE was by far their least productive position last year.  

BTW, proclaiming this coaching staff knows more about players than the draft experts is laughable.  They have NO TRACK record yet.  NONE.  That would be like saying newly appointed coach David Shula and his staff knew more about David Klinger than the so called draft experts even though just about every "expert" was concerned about a QB who never took a snap under center and ran a gimmick college offense in the NFL called the run and shoot. 

This is exactly the kind of tight end the Rams would take. Athletic and a good blocker. Just like Gerald Everett whom they took in the second round a few years ago. They opt for the Y receiver instead of the F tight end, which is what Eifert will be in this offense. I assume they will still use Eifert in that role, but he will be lining up in the Y position more often.

21 minutes ago, SF2 said:

CJ Uzomah is a big strong blocker with good hands as well.  If this pick is purely a replacement for Eifert then it is perplexing since they are completely different animals.   Bengals just resigned Uzomah to a 3 year deal so Sample wasn't chosen to take his job I don't think.  

Also,  this is NOT the kind of TE the Rams would take.  They tried to sign Eifert last off season because they wanted someone who could run routes. TE was by far their least productive position last year.  

BTW, proclaiming this coaching staff knows more about players than the draft experts is laughable.  They have NO TRACK record yet.  NONE.  That would be like saying newly appointed coach David Shula and his staff knew more about David Klinger than the so called draft experts even though just about every "expert" was concerned about a QB who never took a snap under center and ran a gimmick college offense in the NFL called the run and shoot. 

What you're missing is that our coaching staff knows what players fit their system better than some internet/TV draft expert.

If Taylor, Callahan, and Casey said Sample was the best TE that was available at that time and they believed that he would be drafted before they had another pick based on the information they were able to attain, remember they were trying to trade up in the 2nd and ended up trading down so they were in communication with the other teams, then how can an observer with limited access and knowledge say they made a mistake?

Time will tell if Sample and the coaches are able to have success, but until then I think it's naive to say with certainty that this was a bad pick.

26 minutes ago, JC said:

This is exactly the kind of tight end the Rams would take. Athletic and a good blocker. Just like Gerald Everett whom they took in the second round a few years ago. They opt for the Y receiver instead of the F tight end, which is what Eifert will be in this offense. I assume they will still use Eifert in that role, but he will be lining up in the Y position more often.

Gerald Everett was never drafted to be a blocking tight end, he was drafted to be a receiving tight end.  Converted basketball player who was a reach.  Only played on 34% of their offensive downs last year.  Everett is only 6-3 and 240 and has Kitna sized hands but he does have speed.   

Yes, Eifert is the receiving tight and and Uzomah the blocking tight end.  What is Sample other than a backup?

21 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Has this been posted anywhere? I saw a post referring to them generally trying to trade up, but haven't seen this until now.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/sources-bengals-attempted-to-trade-up-for-buffalo-bills-ot-cody-ford.html

There was mention of it in an article by Hobson. 

37 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Gerald Everett was never drafted to be a blocking tight end, he was drafted to be a receiving tight end.  Converted basketball player who was a reach.  Only played on 34% of their offensive downs last year.  Everett is only 6-3 and 240 and has Kitna sized hands but he does have speed.   

Yes, Eifert is the receiving tight and and Uzomah the blocking tight end.  What is Sample other than a backup?

Nope. He came out with the reputation as a mean blocker who needed to refine his route running. Just because he played basketball doesn't mean he was in the receiver mold. The rams have always been base 3WR/1TE/1RB. They draft these guys as Y tight ends to stay in-line and block first, run routes second. 

Who cares if he's a backup? Tight end is one of the more volatile positions in the league. There are no tight ends playing 100% of the teams offensive snaps. You need more than one at this point to be considered set there.

I don't think he is backing up, fwiw. I think he is starting ahead of Uzomah game 1. I think Eifert is only on the field in passing sets. I think he (Sample) is your TE 1 in the base set . Watch and see how that unfolds over the summer. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

What's laughable is that you think guys that have studied something but never done it are "experts", while the guys that actually have done something for years, guys that have scouted players for their areas of responsibility, guys that have an idea of what their plan is have none.  That's like saying that a guy that has spent time studying the stock market but never invested any of his money, is more of "Expert", than the Financial Planner who has spent the last 10 years investing his and other peoples money, and has actually had something on the line.  

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

I don't think he is backing up, fwiw. I think he is starting ahead of Uzomah game 1. I think Eifert is only on the field in passing sets. I think he (Sample) is your TE 1 in the base set . Watch and see how that unfolds over the summer. 

I think its possible. Tight end is usually one of the harder positions to transition to from college. If he does, I imagine snap shares will likely favor Tyler, but CJ and Drew could be very close. I'd bet CJ edges him out early in the year at least. Think the big question will be how often are they in two tight end sets compared to a single in-line Y tight end. If they are dedicated to running the ball, hard to envision they won't utilize two tight end sets since they have a really good move tight end in Tyler, who puts in good effort in run blocking. Probably depends on how many snaps they want to give Tyler each week.

I am assuming Eifert's snaps are going to be limited again in an effort to protect him, and that they will try and keep the blocking for him to a minimum. 

As for my hunch that Sample is going to be ahead of Uzomah quickly and seeing significant playing time, that is based on the following:

1. They've had plenty of time to see tape of Uzomah now

2. They had three days of on-field coaching with him last week to start and get a feel for him; 

3. Came out of that process clearly identifying a TE who does what Sample does as a huge need (based on where he was targeted and drafted); and

4. The actual words from Taylor and Callahan on that pick were pretty damn glowing and sure sounded like they had immediate plans on using him and soon.

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

I am assuming Eifert's snaps are going to be limited again in an effort to protect him, and that they will try and keep the blocking for him to a minimum. 

As for my hunch that Sample is going to be ahead of Uzomah quickly and seeing significant playing time, that is based on the following:

1. They've had plenty of time to see tape of Uzomah now

2. They had three days of on-field coaching with him last week to start and get a feel for him; 

3. Came out of that process clearly identifying a TE who does what Sample does as a huge need (based on where he was targeted and drafted); and

4. The actual words from Taylor and Callahan on that pick were pretty damn glowing and sure sounded like they had immediate plans on using him and soon.

They could only put Eifert in for plays where they know he won't get tackled.

35 minutes ago, JC said:

I think its possible. Tight end is usually one of the harder positions to transition to from college. If he does, I imagine snap shares will likely favor Tyler, but CJ and Drew could be very close. I'd bet CJ edges him out early in the year at least. Think the big question will be how often are they in two tight end sets compared to a single in-line Y tight end. If they are dedicated to running the ball, hard to envision they won't utilize two tight end sets since they have a really good move tight end in Tyler, who puts in good effort in run blocking. Probably depends on how many snaps they want to give Tyler each week.

TE is usually hard to transition because they have to learn how to block. This is Sample's main asset at the moment so his transition should be easier than a pass catching TE.

29 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

What's laughable is that you think guys that have studied something but never done it are "experts", while the guys that actually have done something for years, guys that have scouted players for their areas of responsibility, guys that have an idea of what their plan is have none.  That's like saying that a guy that has spent time studying the stock market but never invested any of his money, is more of "Expert", than the Financial Planner who has spent the last 10 years investing his and other peoples money, and has actually had something on the line.  

None of these guys have ever been a head coach or responsible for drafting players.  In one or two years your analogy will be applicable but today it doesn't apply.  And before anyone plays the LA Rams card one more time, the one GIGANTIC difference between the Rams and the Bengals is the Rams' defensive coordinator has COACHED 146 games in the NFL, has been to the playoffs 3 times as a coach and has 27 years experience as an NFL defensive coordinator. 

Who is the Bengals Wade Phillips to keep all the kids in line? The Bengals DC has 12 games of experience at the DC level and the head coach has 1 year of experience as an OC at the University of Cincinnati.  These are the experts?   Or are the actual experts who made the picks the same guys who let Whit and Zeiter go believing Cedric and Fisher were capable?

The Bengals coaching staff is a VERY unproven group of spare parts that were lying around.   They have to prove themselves before you can anoint them. 

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

None of these guys have ever been a head coach or responsible for drafting players.  In one or two years your analogy will be applicable but today it doesn't apply.  And before anyone plays the LA Rams card one more time, the one GIGANTIC difference between the Rams and the Bengals is the Rams' defensive coordinator has COACHED 146 games in the NFL, has been to the playoffs 3 times as a coach and has 27 years experience as an NFL defensive coordinator. 

Who is the Bengals Wade Phillips to keep all the kids in line? The Bengals DC has 12 games of experience at the DC level and the head coach has 1 year of experience as an OC at the University of Cincinnati.  These are the experts?   Or are the actual experts who made the picks the same guys who let Whit and Zeiter go believing Cedric and Fisher were capable?

The Bengals coaching staff is a VERY unproven group of spare parts that were lying around.   They have to prove themselves before you can anoint them. 

This has and always will be Duke Tobin as long as he is the director of player personnel. He gets inputs from coaches. Its not Zac Taylor and gang making the picks. Duke is the same guy who nailed Geno and he's the same guy who whiffed on Ced. 

21 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It's not about anointing someone, its about the fact that people that get promoted to jobs generally get promoted to them because they have the knowledge base to do said job.  Does a guy that gets promoted from CFO of a company to CEO now not know anything about what the company does because he's in a new position? Does a Sales Manager that gets promoted to Director of Sales lose all his knowledge of sales because he's in a new position?  People don't start at square one when they get a promotion, they just keep building on the knowledge base they currently have.

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

It's not about anointing someone, its about the fact that people that get promoted to jobs generally get promoted to them because they have the knowledge base to do said job.  Does a guy that gets promoted from CFO of a company to CEO now not know anything about what the company does because he's in a new position? Does a Sales Manager that gets promoted to Director of Sales lose all his knowledge of sales because he's in a new position?  People don't start at square one when they get a promotion, they just keep building on the knowledge base they currently have.

I totally agree with you but that isn't what really happened here.  Marvin had 7 years as an NFL DC which included having the #1 defense and a Super Bowl win before he became our head coach.  Marvin was pretty good coach here, was a pretty good coach day 1.   

McVay had 3 years of OC duty at Washinton after 4 years as the TE coach on same Redskins.   Taylor had nothing close to the same level of experience or RESPONSIBILITY as a QB coach at Miami unless you want to count the 5 games as the interim OC.   His hire would be more akin to an average sales rep becoming the director of sales and jumping over 64 current Sales Managers.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

I totally agree with you but that isn't what really happened here.  Marvin had 7 years as an NFL DC which included having the #1 defense and a Super Bowl win before he became our head coach.  Marvin was pretty good coach here, was a pretty good coach day 1.   

McVay had 3 years of OC duty at Washinton after 4 years as the TE coach on same Redskins.   Taylor had nothing close to the same level of experience or RESPONSIBILITY as a QB coach at Miami unless you want to count the 5 games as the interim OC.   His hire would be more akin to an average sales rep becoming the director of sales and jumping over 64 current Sales Managers.

Marvin had Ozzie drafting for him, that's all I'll say in this thread.

I guess this is as good a place as any for this question.

I saw a guy commenting that the draft is a crapshoot, and compared couch draft pundits as the same guys who answer Jeopardy questions (after the right answer is shown), saying 'yeah, that's it". Anybody know who that guy was or have a link to that exchange? It was hilarious and very close to the truth.

10 hours ago, membengal said:

TEs often take a year to develop.  I do think there is a very good chance he is our "4 minute offense" TE though. And if he does that well, I'm happy.

Archived