2019 Bengals Draft Class. Thoughts, Reactions and Grades

That 2nd rounder brings it down a lot for me.  Sample may turn out to be a great player, and I hope he does, it just seems like the value wasn't there.  There are some people saying scouts had him ranked higher than the media and he may not have been there much longer, but it just feels like we could have waited at least two more rounds on him; there was a lot of talent still on the board (Khalen Saunders). 

Overall, I'd say it was a solid C.  I think everyone should make the team except maybe the last three picks.  If Rodney Anderson is healthy and can stay healthy, it makes the Mixon decision difficult when his contract comes up if he wants big money. 

It's interesting in that we are all so indoctrinated in the draft from a Marvin Lewis perspective - me included.

We watched his picks, his analysis of them and then his development / use (or non-use!) and, at least for me, my expectations remain as they have been.

I think I've seen and heard enough today that tells me I need to be ready to look at all of this through a new lense.

Taylor and company clearly have a their plan and talk like this draft played into that. Specifically a dedication to a diverse offense that features a strong run game.

While a lot of this is football speak that we've heard from all over the league for years, hopefully these guys are onto something.

I'm always an optimist and I'd like to see how this unfolds compared to the last 16 (?) years of ole Marv ball.

It just might surprise some people - even with a second round reach.

5 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

It's interesting in that we are all so indoctrinated in the draft from a Marvin Lewis perspective - me included.

We watched his picks, his analysis of them and then his development / use (or non-use!) and, at least for me, my expectations remain as they have been.

I think I've seen and heard enough today that tells me I need to be ready to look at all of this through a new lense.

Taylor and company clearly have a their plan and talk like this draft played into that. Specifically a dedication to a diverse offense that features a strong run game.

While a lot of this is football speak that we've heard from all over the league for years, hopefully these guys are onto something.

I'm always an optimist and I'd like to see how this unfolds compared to the last 16 (?) years of ole Marv ball.

For years we all heard Marv and company talk about emphasizing the run game and then go completely away from it. I believe we just witnessed the new regime actually staff up for it. 

8 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

It was kind of refreshing hearing a new set of coaches talk about the draft.

10 minutes ago, whodey? said:

For years we all heard Marv and company talk about emphasizing the run game and then go completely away from it. I believe we just witnessed the new regime actually staff up for it. 

Yeah, same.  There wasn't a lot of talk about it, they just went out and got the horses.

41 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

This is a really good post man. Exactly how I feel too. Very concise, well played. Only caveat to me is really whether Take A Drug Let Me Borrow Your Drew Sample is a bigtime reach or whether Taylor is on to something with this guy that we don't know about. I suppose we'll see. Nice post though man, +1 to you fo sho.

36 minutes ago, whodey? said:

True that, or they'd commit to it when it was easy, and bail on it altogether and panic when down 10 points in the 3rd quarter of a playoff game (cough cough, Cedric Benson vs Jets, cough cough). I do think the Brat-run offenses were worse in that regard though. Either way, like everyone's said, Mixon, Dalton and anyone relying on Dalton throwing them the football has to happy with this draft.

I'm working on this theory, bear with me:

In this era of offense-skewed rules in the NFL, offense is more important than defense, in general. Zac Taylor came from a talent rich environment on BOTH sides of the ball, but it's fair to say their defense underperformed relative to their talent but their offense, especially earlier in the year before Gurley had issues, was one of the offenses that just scored like drunken sailors on a coke and hooker binge because now nobody can breathe on Tom Brady or touch a "defenseless" receiver, and I also believe these best offenses from last season purposely were schemed to take advantage of those new rules. Gotta keep up with what's happening to win, no?

Anyway, this theory is basically this: in this era, since you can't have Pro Bowlers across your roster, it's better to have an offense that can score a lot of points in a hurry than have a great defense because of the rules advantage to the offense as it stands now. Even the 2015 Broncos defense would struggle to comply with current rules. And that was only FOUR years ago! So if we're going to try to run a fast-paced, quick strike kind of offense, led by a young coach with ideas (whom will emulate to a degree where he came from), then I am totally down. I want the Bengals to step into the limelight as a current franchise, not a leftover being dragged into the sunlight like a vampire. The Rams, Chiefs and Saints ALL prove that this type of offense and having a crappy or average defense can work. The obvious caveat is all three of those teams have a better QB than we do. 

By the way, Mike Brown IS in fact, a vampire. He feeds off shared revenues. Look it up. That's some real shit right there.

28 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

This is a really good post man. Exactly how I feel too. Very concise, well played. Only caveat to me is really whether Take A Drug Let Me Borrow Your Drew Sample is a bigtime reach or whether Taylor is on to something with this guy that we don't know about. I suppose we'll see. Nice post though man, +1 to you fo sho.

Thanks Bung!

7 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

Reason, I give C+ is if the Bengals wanted a QB then they had Drew Lock at 42 and not a TE that they could’ve gotten in the 4th.  Stupid move. 

my brother send me a message on 4/20 that he got from Miami forum: Read on Rotoworld the Bengals have ONLY studied Ryan Finley. So it would seem they have no interest in replacing Dalton for now. 

so I think it is obviously Bengals want Finley not Lock

Rd. 1: OT Jonah Williams - I was hoping for a Devin, but this is a really good pick and helps our biggest offensive weakness
Rd. 2: TE Drew Sample - Wasn't a fan when it happened, and I still think there were better players available but he will have a role and do it well
Rd. 3: LB Germaine Pratt - Really good pick. Big, athletic with room to grow.  And he was productive
Rd. 4: QB Ryan Finley - Has the tools to be a good backup.  McCarron-ish, but without the hot wife. 
Rd. 4: DT Renell Wren - Big and athletic.  I think he's my favorite pick
Rd. 4: OL Michael Jordan - Solid player could develop into a starter, can backup all 3 interior positions.
Rd. 6: RB Trayveon Williams - Love this pick.  Kid is productive and will allow us to let Gio walk so we can play Mixon in a couple years.
Rd. 6: LB Deshaun Davis - Meh.  Sounds like he is good against the run though and may be a solid Teams player
Rd. 6: RB Rodney Anderson - Could be a backup bell cow if Mixon goes down.  If he can stay healthy himself.
Rd. 7: CB Jordan Brown - Good size and athleticism.  Good ball skills.  Solid for a 7th round pick.

Overall a B+ draft IMO.

49 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

It seems that the people that are complaining about Junior Sample know nothing about him except for he was supposed to be a 4th round pick. If they got the guy they wanted, who cares. They can hate it, but it doesn't make it a bad pick. I actually told my son right before the pick that I didn't want a TE in the 2nd. But what do I know?

Archived