2019 Bengals Draft Class. Thoughts, Reactions and Grades

27 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

An interesting fact.  Of the 10 draft picks selected, 8 were team captains.  The only two that weren't were Wren and Jordan.  I don't think we've ever had that before.

I actually find this to be a fascinating statistic. And encouraging. This team needs leadership from the top down right now if it's going to win this season.

16 minutes ago, Hooky said:

It seems that the people that are complaining about Junior Sample know nothing about him except for he was supposed to be a 4th round pick. If they got the guy they wanted, who cares. They can hate it, but it doesn't make it a bad pick. I actually told my son right before the pick that I didn't want a TE in the 2nd. But what do I know?

Hell, what do I know either. But I feel like it's fair to wait and see how a pick like Sample pans out. They may have interviewed him intensely, watched a lot of tape, and felt he was a fit for what they want to do on offense. If that works out and he's what he's supposed to be as an important cog in a machine, then cool. I don't feel like this is a Margus Hunt pick.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

I'm working on this theory, bear with me:

In this era of offense-skewed rules in the NFL, offense is more important than defense, in general.

Totally agree & it's why I didn't want a LB at 11.  Arena league rules + the typically short career of LBs in general, the value just isn't there.

edited to add:  while we're here I want to thank @oldschooler for the excellent draft coverage & pulling all this info together on the fly

36 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Totally agree & it's why I didn't want a LB at 11.  Arena league rules + the typically short career of LBs in general, the value just isn't there.

edited to add:  while we're here I want to thank @oldschooler for the excellent draft coverage & pulling all this info together on the fly

I could not agree more.  I was busy today and missed the entire draft day.  Came in here and everything was broken down in both summary and detail.  One stop shopping.

When Oldschooler is around this forum is a much better place.  When he contributes like he does during draft time, this place is awesome.

Kudos Old, you're the best and it is much appreciated.

I'll give it a "B" , I'm not so down on Sample as I am on not going after another linebacker sooner then the 6th round. Maybe the current coaching staff feels they can more out of Jefferson then the previous one. On the plus side, I feel we've seen the last of Hardy Nickerson Jr.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

It seems that the people that are complaining about Junior Sample know nothing about him except for he was supposed to be a 4th round pick. If they got the guy they wanted, who cares. They can hate it, but it doesn't make it a bad pick. I actually told my son right before the pick that I didn't want a TE in the 2nd. But what do I know?

There's something ingrained into human nature that seeks bargains, so when we draft a guy advertised as 4th Round Material, and we buy him in the 2nd, it creates this feeling of being duped. On the other hand, we don't have any idea if Sample really is 4th Round Material....might even turn out to be 1st Round Choice stuff....we just don't know.

4 hours ago, HOF dan said:

It's interesting in that we are all so indoctrinated in the draft from a Marvin Lewis perspective - me included.

We watched his picks, his analysis of them and then his development / use (or non-use!) and, at least for me, my expectations remain as they have been.

I think I've seen and heard enough today that tells me I need to be ready to look at all of this through a new lense.

Taylor and company clearly have a their plan and talk like this draft played into that. Specifically a dedication to a diverse offense that features a strong run game.

While a lot of this is football speak that we've heard from all over the league for years, hopefully these guys are onto something.

I'm always an optimist and I'd like to see how this unfolds compared to the last 16 (?) years of ole Marv ball.

It just might surprise some people - even with a second round reach.

Sorry, but competent GMs do not reach, period.  No competent plan involves picking 4th round players in the 2nd round,..ever.   It was not a well executed draft. 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Sorry, but competent GMs do not reach, period.  No competent plan involves picking 4th round players in the 2nd round,..ever.   It was not and well executed draft. 

This assumes all the other teams had the same draft grades as the "experts".    A bunch of dudes they had graded in the first round fell, it's not hard to imagine they were wrong about some late-rounders, too.

At any rate it's spilled milk now.  Only difference it makes at this point is how much dude is getting paid.  If he does end up being a big part of the offensive scheme nobody will care where he was drafted anyway.

1. Jonah Williams (OT) Alabama - love the pick.  Should solidify one OL spot for the foreseeable future.

2. Drew Sample (TE) Washington - not what I wanted in Rd 2, but if he is the in-kine blocker he seems to be, bodes well for Mixon's 2K season

3. Germaine Pratt (LB) NC St - not thebig name stud I wanted, but seemd to like physicality with high motor.  Good chance to be a day one starter

4A.  Ryan Finley (QB) NC St - seems to be a good value for the 4th Rd.  Make up seems solid.  Should unseat Driskell & challenge Dalton in a year or two.

4B. Renell Wren (DT) Arizona St. - could challenge Billings.  Seems to have good inside push. Big early challenge for Nick Eason to reach him him & hone discipline/focus & technique.  May have the biggest Boom/Bust potential of any Cincy pick

4C. Michael Jordan (OC) Ohio St. - great value pick. interior depth early, but I could see he & Price starting side-by-side if they let Boling go to gain a comp pick.  Could use weight room work.

6A. Traveon Williams (RB) TAMU - watched him several times. Good speed & solid inside runner for his size.  Can help return game.  At very least an able replacement for Walton and less likely to enjoy frequent Po-Po hospitality.

6B. Inside run stuffer.  Under-sized but productive.  2-down backer, not much help in coverage.  Will need to shine in ST play to make team.

6C.  Rodney Anderson (RB) Oklahoma - has some talent when healthy, but that's the rub.  Likely battles Flowers for 4th RB slot (if there is one)

7.  Jordan Brown (CB) South Dakota St.- need to be more aggressive .  Likely Practice Squad fodder at best.

Biggest disappointment?  Not adding a #3 option at WR behind AJ & Boyd.  Erickson's OK as a 4th or 5th guy/returner.  I still like Malone, but again in the back row of the receivers room.  Ross?  Meh.  Maybe he'll step up under the new guy... no... he won't.  Never was big on Core.  Wanted an up-grade for multi-receiver formations with Green & Tyler as well as someone who could step up to start if one of them was injured.

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Sorry, but competent GMs do not reach, period.  No competent plan involves picking 4th round players in the 2nd round,..ever.   It was not and well executed draft. 

GTFOH.  GM's reach and MISS constantly!  

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

This guy?

Image result for Junior Sample br549

23 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

This assumes all the other teams had the same draft grades as the "experts".    A bunch of dudes they had graded in the first round fell, it's not hard to imagine they were wrong about some late-rounders, too.

At any rate it's spilled milk now.  Only difference it makes at this point is how much dude is getting paid.  If he does end up being a bit part of the offensive scheme nobody will care where he was drafted anyway.

It assume nothing about other teams. It realizes that a blocking tight end is NEVER a 2nd round pick.

It realizes a 4th round nobody QB is not going to displace one of the best 2nd round QBs in NFL history. Yeah, Andy is a great 2nd round QB. The best ever 4th round QB?  Kirk Cousins.  Aaron Brooks would be next.   

Horribly executed draft. You don’t waste picks up top. 

21 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

GTFOH.  GM's reach and MISS constantly!  

Competent ones don’t.  Plenty of them miss, none of them take nobody TEs in the second round. Reach and Miss are not the same word.  Only idiots “reach” in the first few rounds. 

1st and 3rd picks were excellent. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

I could not agree more.  I was busy today and missed the entire draft day.  Came in here and everything was broken down in both summary and detail.  One stop shopping.

When Oldschooler is around this forum is a much better place.  When he contributes like he does during draft time, this place is awesome.

Kudos Old, you're the best and it is much appreciated.

You all are very welcome. I really enjoy doing it. Wish my stupid job didn't get in the way

of doing it as often as I would like.  :glare:

But thanks for the hat tips. They are appreciated. 

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

You all are very welcome. I really enjoy doing it. Wish my stupid job didn't get in the way

of doing it as often as I would like.  :glare:

But thanks for the hat tips. They are appreciated. 

X100. Thanks Old. 

3 hours ago, dimster said:

my brother send me a message on 4/20 that he got from Miami forum: Read on Rotoworld the Bengals have ONLY studied Ryan Finley. So it would seem they have no interest in replacing Dalton for now. 

so I think it is obviously Bengals want Finley not Lock

That would be stupid if they were thinking that.  Dalton is not going to win nothing with this team.  Have we not learned from Mediocre Marv, um, with Dalton the whole time?  Yea, he will play better under another head coach?  I can’t wait to see.  

22 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Sorry, I forgot, we're supposed to bask in your brilliance.  Go forth Oh font of Football Knowledge.

No, I am not brilliant. It is simply common sense. Nobody wants to bask in your Bengals Front Office ass kissing. You are incapable of competent analysis. You love to name drop and act like that somehow means you know what you are talking about and that the Bengals know what they are doing. They don’t win. 

17 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

That would be stupid if they were thinking that.  Dalton is not going to win nothing with this team.  Have we not learned from Mediocre Marv, um, with Dalton the whole time?  Yea, he will play better under another head coach?  I can’t wait to see.  

Dalton has won a lot with this team,more than the Heisman trophy winner quitter and Boomer. Keep in mind I am not a Dalton lover. 

Archived