2019 Bengals Draft Class. Thoughts, Reactions and Grades

But then why did we waste so much money on Hart, Miller, and Uzomah?

My best guess is that signing that group gave them options depending on how the draft fell. They were not locked into any one position based on who they had signed, but were happy to upgrade if the opportunity presented itself. In Uzomah's case - he does something different than Eifert or Sample - and that is a 3 TE room, so he isn't redundant.  The other two signings were fall back options, is my guess. They may have overspent for fallback options, but that is what it is.  

59 minutes ago, Hooky said:

4. Good question. I've got one. Where does Hubbard generally line up? Could he be considered for LB help? 

I have no idea - I have a terrible eye for that sort of thing. I would guess not - but I may not be imaginative enough.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I guess it's reassuring that the draft started off with improving the O-line and TE positions. But then why did we waste so much money on Hart, Miller, and Uzomah? They're getting a combined 16 mil per year from the team to not excel. We could have signe Juwaun James for less and taken Haskins. Or signed a couple of KJ Wright and Jordan Hicks. Or signed Jesse James + LB, etc. We should have gone more for quality than quantity in free agency.

As for Miller, he’s most likely the starting RG, and while he wasn’t great last season he was pretty good the season before. 

Miller is better than Redmond so that is an upgrade. Not all of the upgrades will be huge just incremental. Williams though is a huge upgrade over Hart. 

Given the team wanted another OL in round 2 we can expect at least one more higher draft pick used on the OL in 2020. And just the fact that they are saying the best 5 will play is an upgrade given how stubborn ML was about Westerman and Redmond. 

Something I've started to wonder about is RB.  Obviously as others have said, it's pretty clear this is Mixon's offense now.  But what do the coaches think of Gio?  How will he be used?  I personally think he's quite useful in a play action scenario but what I find interesting is the team taking two RBs who both sort of fit the "straight ahead" mold, and thus it's as if they'd rather have a collection of hard chargers than the nifty scat-back type (Williams' size aside, analysts seem to agree that he's a north-south guy).

Time will tell.

44 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Something I've started to wonder about is RB.  Obviously as others have said, it's pretty clear this is Mixon's offense now.  But what do the coaches think of Gio?  How will he be used?  I personally think he's quite useful in a play action scenario but what I find interesting is the team taking two RBs who both sort of fit the "straight ahead" mold, and thus it's as if they'd rather have a collection of hard chargers than the nifty scat-back type (Williams' size aside, analysts seem to agree that he's a north-south guy).

Time will tell.

This staff seems much more along the lines of using the players to maximize their capabilities so I would say they will find the right plays for Gio.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:40 PM, akiliMVP said:

Yep. If your starter goes down it makes sense to have a guy who has similar traits to come in.

Yeah, not a fan of the 4th round QB pick but looking at the FA QBs out there it makes perfect sense.  Osweiler and Geno Smith don't exactly inspire me.  I can't believe Mark Sanchez is only 32 and no I don't want him. 

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Time will tell.

Zac has made it clear this offense will be predicted on running the ball well. He also said he wants to keep everyone fresh come December. My guess is we carry 4 RBs and all of them will play. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Zac has made it clear this offense will be predicted on running the ball well. He also said he wants to keep everyone fresh come December. My guess is we carry 4 RBs and all of them will play. 

The ineffective use of a RB tandem is something that drove me crazy under the previous administration.  If Zac and Co. can figure that out, that will help the offense immensely.  

7 hours ago, membengal said:

My best guess is that signing that group gave them options depending on how the draft fell. They were not locked into any one position based on who they had signed, but were happy to upgrade if the opportunity presented itself. In Uzomah's case - he does something different than Eifert or Sample - and that is a 3 TE room, so he isn't redundant.  The other two signings were fall back options, is my guess. They may have overspent for fallback options, but that is what it is.  

Right, but overpaying for backups reduces the team's options. It doesn't find a starter and means we have less money to spend on better players. 

13 hours ago, membengal said:

I guess. It’s not like they had no more money to spend - they had plenty left.

I see you're never read an article about the Bengals spending plans by Hobson. They want to extend Green and Boyd before the regular season begins, and maybe WJ3 too. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I see you're never read an article about the Bengals spending plans by Hobson. They want to extend Green and Boyd before the regular season begins, and maybe WJ3 too. 

I know well Hobson's poverty crying. I am saying, their signing Hart to that contract didn't keep them from doing anything they might have wanted to do. They were clearly never gonna pay what the top FA LBers went for.  And Hart's contract is not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. He's gone after this year, if they want, with little to no cap hit. In the meantime, he was draft insurance.  I know people enjoyed hollering about it, but, it wasn't the franchise crippling move that it was somehow made out to be. 

43 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I'd rather not see them extend Green....big mistake this late in his career considering the type of coin he's sure to get. 

I feel like they're caught between a rock and a hard place now.  I was hoping they'd trade him last year while he had two more years on his contract...I think that's when he had the most volume.  I love AJ, but we're probably not going to win a SB while he's here.  We should have traded him to get the draft capital.  On top of that, top receivers aren't a necessity to win a SB (see NE, NYG, Philly, Denver, Seattle, Baltimore, GB). 

Now we're probably going to pay AJ and TB which will make us the top team in the league as far as spending $$ on the WR position.  I hope AJ is one of those rare WRs that stays great well into their 30s (see Jerry Rice).  Unfortunately, history says that won't happen and spending so much on the WR position in total will come back to bite us.

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

I know well Hobson's poverty crying. I am saying, their signing Hart to that contract didn't keep them from doing anything they might have wanted to do. They were clearly never gonna pay what the top FA LBers went for.  And Hart's contract is not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. He's gone after this year, if they want, with little to no cap hit. In the meantime, he was draft insurance.  I know people enjoyed hollering about it, but, it wasn't the franchise crippling move that it was somehow made out to be. 

Way to much Logic there.  You need to tone it down!:contract:

45 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I feel like they're caught between a rock and a hard place now.  I was hoping they'd trade him last year while he had two more years on his contract...I think that's when he had the most volume.  I love AJ, but we're probably not going to win a SB while he's here.  We should have traded him to get the draft capital.  On top of that, top receivers aren't a necessity to win a SB (see NE, NYG, Philly, Denver, Seattle, Baltimore, GB). 

Now we're probably going to pay AJ and TB which will make us the top team in the league as far as spending $$ on the WR position.  I hope AJ is one of those rare WRs that stays great well into their 30s (see Jerry Rice).  Unfortunately, history says that won't happen and spending so much on the WR position in total will come back to bite us.

I would assume he would be. His game isn't based around being a burner. He's still incredible at making contested catches, running good routes, highpointing the ball. I think injuries are certainly a concern, but I think he's got a game that will continue to work as he gets older. He was uber effective out of the slot this year. That is likely where he ends when its all said and done. Could be an issue with TB since he doesn't have that vertical speed.

18 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

The ineffective use of a RB tandem is something that drove me crazy under the previous administration.  If Zac and Co. can figure that out, that will help the offense immensely.  

Sheeit, it'll revolutionize our offense!

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Sheeit, it'll revolutionize our offense!

Since Brooks and Woods for that one Super Bowl season has there ever been a dynamic / productive RB tandem on the Bengals?   Sign me up.  Marvin and whomever was the OC always played lip service to the run game but truly never centered the offense around it.   

4 hours ago, membengal said:

I don't think anyone thought it was a franchise crippling move, we hollered because they resigned a shitty right tackle.  He will be ok in his obvious roll:  NFL Backup.

The AJ thing is certainly a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.  The FO took a mountain of shit after letting 35 year old Whitworth go.  Few would have guess he would continue to play at such an elite level the next 2 years but he did.   Is Boyd a true #1 receiver?  Can he replace AJ or does he really need to?  My guess is Mixon will be seeing way more passes this year so do we really need a top dollar #1 receiver or some well paid guys who can run routes and read defenses?

5 hours ago, membengal said:

Actually it is close to franchise crippling. Because we signed a grossly inadequate Bobby Hart, we had to use a high pick on a tackle. Instead of upgrading at the more important QB position, we'll go into yet another season with Dalton rather than Watson, Mahomes, Haskins, etc.

Archived