2019 Bengals Draft Class. Thoughts, Reactions and Grades

2 hours ago, Duluoz said:

From USA Today

Cincinnati Bengals: D+

It would appear they picked a blocking tight end (Drew Sample) in Round 2. Um ... Even if he develops into a quality all-around player, the Bengals, who finished last in total defense in 2018, certainly should have been addressing other areas instead. No real qualm with first-round OL Jonah Williams. But why pick QB Ryan Finley, who seems like a lateral move from Andy Dalton, in Round 4 when you could have had Dwayne Haskins 11th and picked up decent blockers later. Sorry, but this is still perplexing.

Because Finley was drafted to replace Driskel, not Dalton.

one thing to keep in mind when looking at these draft grades....this is still pretty much Marv's locker room that Taylor simply inherited. The moves made today are the beginning of Taylors locker room going forward. These will be the foundation pieces that it's all built upon...it's just going to take several years (and drafts) to get it all built.

I was initially displeased with the Drew Sample pick but, Taylor reported they needed a combination TE and got him. Two of the first picks to shore up a serious hole in the offense and build support for our most talented young player. I would have preferred Juan Thornhill but, I'm on side.

My biggest disappointment was actually with the Germaine Pratt pick. A LB that reportedly sucks in coverage? Doesn't seem like a good selection for today's NFL. But, at the end of the day, the LB class was awful. I wasn't even sold on Bush. White was the only one I really wanted. The Bengals failure to land a LB in free agency knowing how weak this class was, was a huge error. They should have gone out and got Jordan Hicks. I'd love them to sign Zach Brown now that the draft is in the books but, I'm not holding my breath.

9 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I was initially displeased with the Drew Sample pick but, Taylor reported they needed a combination TE and got him. Two of the first picks to shore up a serious hole in the offense and build support for our most talented young player. I would have preferred Juan Thornhill but, I'm on side.

My biggest disappointment was actually with the Germaine Pratt pick. A LB that reportedly sucks in coverage? Doesn't seem like a good selection for today's NFL. But, at the end of the day, the LB class was awful. I wasn't even sold on Bush. White was the only one I really wanted. The Bengals failure to land a LB in free agency knowing how weak this class was, was a huge error. They should have gone out and got Jordan Hicks. I'd love them to sign Zach Brown now that the draft is in the books but, I'm not holding my breath.

Pretty much every scouting report I've seen says Pratt excels in coverage. Can't say I've watched him do it but I've read he can. Former safety turned linebacker helps him in that area.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

one thing to keep in mind when looking at these draft grades....this is still pretty much Marv's locker room that Taylor simply inherited. The moves made today are the beginning of Taylors locker room going forward. These will be the foundation pieces that it's all built upon...it's just going to take several years (and drafts) to get it all built.

Is this the precursor/qualifier to the 2019 Boy Wonder "pass" en route? 

:39:

Bengals tried to trade up for more offensive line help

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 28, 2019, 4:34 PM EDT
pft-16-e1556324868140.jpg?w=560&h=316&cr
AP

There was a run on offensive linemen in the second round, and the Bengals tried to get in on it.

But when they were unable to, they eventually went the other direction.

According to Geoff Hobson of the team’s official website, the Bengals tried to trade up from the 42nd overall pick to get in on the action, but weren’t able to make the deal.

At the top of the second round, the Jaguars took Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor 35th overall, the Panthers took Ole Miss tackle Greg Little 37th, and the Bills took Oklahoma tackle Cody Ford 38th, and all three traded up to do so.

The Jaguars gave up their fourth-rounder to move up three spots, and got Oakland’s fifth- and seventh-rounders back. The Panthers gave up their third to move up 10 spots. The Bills gave the Raiders a fifth to move up two spots.

But rather than giving up future assets, the Bengals instead traded the 42nd overall pick to the Broncos, picking up a fourth and a sixth for moving down 10 spots.

It’s interesting that the tackle market appealed to them so much. They traded for Bills left tackleCordy Glenn a year ago, and extended right tackle Bobby Hart this offseason. Williams can play guard as well so he gives them some flexibility, but trying to put another tackle in that mix suggests they’re still unsure about what they have up front.

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

:39:

It’s interesting that the tackle market appealed to them so much. They traded for Bills left tackle Cordy Glenn a year ago, and extended right tackle Bobby Hart this offseason. Williams can play guard as well so he gives them some flexibility, but trying to put another tackle in that mix suggests they’re still unsure about what they have up front.

Glenn looked fairly average to me, when he was on the field.  He hasn't been there in December for a few years now.  Hart.. We all saw him struggle.  He could get better & Glenn could play every snap but this staff actually has a plan for if they don't.  It's good to see.  Even if things go well for our vet OT's I don't think they can keep JW off the field for long.

With only 4 tackles on the roster I would guess we pick up 1-2 more before camp opens.  

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Is this the precursor/qualifier to the 2019 Boy Wonder "pass" en route? 

I mean, it is what it is...how many games has Marvin won in the last few years with that roster?

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

Great point

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I mean, it is what it is...how many games has Marvin won in the last few years with that roster?

Non sequitur. He has nothing to do with the present yearling HC...whom you have already granted absolution for the foreseeable future. Which is OK, of course--you have always kept to your views rather consistently.

So has IC...who will just gnaw on MB for anything good/bad/indifferent. 

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Non sequitur. He has nothing to do with the present yearling HC...whom you have already granted absolution for the foreseeable future. Which is OK, of course--you have always kept to your views rather consistently.

He is NOT a yearling HC.  Yearling is used to indicate a sophomore or second year student at the Military Academies.  He is a Plebe.   That said, regardless of my opinion of the second pick in the draft, the rest of it was pretty good.  Hopefully we can get three decent starters out of it and a few backups.  Now the fun begins and I am always of the opinion that a coach deserves a pass on the first season as long as the team improves during the year and the actual coaching during games doesn't resemble a Benny Hill show. 

So this might be the best place to put random thoughts about the new coaching staff, scheme and team as gleaned from the draft:

1. I really didn't have a good handle on what a Rams-style offense was, I guess, but I have a better handle now. As puzzling as the pick of Sample was when it happened, it gives a shining neon clue about how important that particular position is to what Taylor and Callahan want to do. Basically Williams and Sample (and Jordan in round 4) were this staff's complete repudiation of the attention and care paid to the line and run blocking under Marvin the last few years. They have created a genuinely crowded offensive-line room now, and that is great news because guys will need to fight for their position and it gives them lots of options to find the kind of players they need to run their scheme.

2. The new staff believes in John Ross. No other conclusion can be drawn. They had a chance to challenge him in the WR room several times (most notably in Round 2) and waited until the UDFA portion to bring someone in - and that person will clearly be challenging the Core and Malone part of the receiver room. I will take the optimistic view and figure that means they think they have something really good to work with in Ross.

3. It is crystal clear now just how important they view the running game. We have Taylor's words about wanting to make sure Mixon is fresh for the entire season and then two picks spent on RBs who should help with just that behind Mixon and Gio. And probably means we have Gio's replacement in house now for when this year is done.

4. With Pratt being the only real addition to the LB room, I guess I am now wondering/hoping if they think they can work with Malik Jefferson. If Jefferson can be saved and be useful, than Jefferson and Pratt are like drafting two new LBers for that unit. 

5. I am glad they will have a legit back-up for Dalton. I missed McCarron last year, as it turned out, from that role.

Taylor will be on the Bengals Beat Podcast tonight with Dehner and Page -- I don't know if they offer that live (they are doing it at 6:00 at 50 West) but look for it on your podcast feed tomorrow - should be interesting - I know Sample will come up and we may hear more about his philosophy on offense.

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I think 8-8 is doable and would be a good start for our young HC...how's that?

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

So this might be the best place to put random thoughts about the new coaching staff, scheme and team as gleaned from the draft:

1. I really didn't have a good handle on what a Rams-style offense was, I guess, but I have a better handle now. As puzzling as the pick of Sample was when it happened, it gives a shining neon clue about how important that particular position is to what Taylor and Callahan want to do. Basically Williams and Sample (and Jordan in round 4) were this staff's complete repudiation of the attention and care paid to the line and run blocking under Marvin the last few years. They have created a genuinely crowded offensive-line room now, and that is great news because guys will need to fight for their position and it gives them lots of options to find the kind of players they need to run their scheme.

2. The new staff believes in John Ross. No other conclusion can be drawn. They had a chance to challenge him in the WR room several times (most notably in Round 2) and waited until the UDFA portion to bring someone in - and that person will clearly be challenging the Core and Malone part of the receiver room. I will take the optimistic view and figure that means they think they have something really good to work with in Ross.

3. It is crystal clear now just how important they view the running game. We have Taylor's words about wanting to make sure Mixon is fresh for the entire season and then two picks spent on RBs who should help with just that behind Mixon and Gio. And probably means we have Gio's replacement in house now for when this year is done.

4. With Pratt being the only real addition to the LB room, I guess I am now wondering/hoping if they think they can work with Malik Jefferson. If Jefferson can be saved and be useful, than Jefferson and Pratt are like drafting two new LBers for that unit. 

5. I am glad they will have a legit back-up for Dalton. I missed McCarron last year, as it turned out, from that role.

Taylor will be on the Bengals Beat Podcast tonight with Dehner and Page -- I don't know if they offer that live (they are doing it at 6:00 at 50 West) but look for it on your podcast feed tomorrow - should be interesting - I know Sample will come up and we may hear more about his philosophy on offense.

4. Good question. I've got one. Where does Hubbard generally line up? Could he be considered for LB help? 

I guess it's reassuring that the draft started off with improving the O-line and TE positions. But then why did we waste so much money on Hart, Miller, and Uzomah? They're getting a combined 16 mil per year from the team to not excel. We could have signe Juwaun James for less and taken Haskins. Or signed a couple of KJ Wright and Jordan Hicks. Or signed Jesse James + LB, etc. We should have gone more for quality than quantity in free agency.

Archived