A.J. Green enjoying life with an offensive-minded head coach

Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green spent the first eight years of his career playing for head coach Marvin Lewis, so he’s making an adjustment this offseason with Zac Taylor now occupying the top job on the coaching staff.

During an interview with Chris Simms, Green discussed the differences between the two men. Practices have a different energy with Taylor playing music — something Lewis wasn’t a fan of — and favoring the offensive side of the ball, which is something that Green has found appealing during the early stages of the offseason program.

“Playing with coach Lewis, it’s all about the defense,” Green said. “You don’t show up the defense at practice. But Zac is like, ‘OTA one, we’re going to kick the defense’s butt.’ That’s what we like to hear. I love the way he teaches. He’s not yelling at you, he’s teaching every little detail and having you understand why we run it this way.”

Green said that he feels recovered from the toe injury that curtailed his 2018 season and anything Taylor teaches will look better with a healthy Green executing it come the fall.

13 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green spent the first eight years of his career playing for head coach Marvin Lewis, so he’s making an adjustment this offseason with Zac Taylor now occupying the top job on the coaching staff.

During an interview with Chris Simms, Green discussed the differences between the two men. Practices have a different energy with Taylor playing music — something Lewis wasn’t a fan of — and favoring the offensive side of the ball, which is something that Green has found appealing during the early stages of the offseason program.

“Playing with coach Lewis, it’s all about the defense,” Green said. “You don’t show up the defense at practice. But Zac is like, ‘OTA one, we’re going to kick the defense’s butt.’ That’s what we like to hear. I love the way he teaches. He’s not yelling at you, he’s teaching every little detail and having you understand why we run it this way.”

Green said that he feels recovered from the toe injury that curtailed his 2018 season and anything Taylor teaches will look better with a healthy Green executing it come the fall.

Great job Marvin.  So your offense doesn’t practice its better plays and your defense doesn’t practice against better plays.  Yep, sure sounds like a recipe for success.

:ninja: 

22 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Great job Marvin.  So your offense doesn’t practice its better plays and your defense doesn’t practice against better plays.  Yep, sure sounds like a recipe for success.

:ninja: 

Same mentality that lets injury prone players coast through training camp only to get hurt 3 games into the season, or bets an entire season on OT's that anyone could see weren't up to the challenge.

I hope this new coach can resist the organization's inclination to stick their heads in the sand when confronted with facts that don't match their expectations. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Same mentality that lets injury prone players coast through training camp only to get hurt 3 games into the season, or bets an entire season on OT's that anyone could see weren't up to the challenge.

I hope this new coach can resist the organization's inclination to stick their heads in the sand when confronted with facts that don't match their expectations. 

I don’t think Marvin had much say in personnel decisions particularly the Whit decision.  Of course he let Eifert coast thru training camp, guy is great when he plays and Marvin was just trying to get some games out of him. 

22 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

That is quite the dig at Merv by AJ, what a joke Merv turned into.Can't show up the defense, save that for Sundays and let the other team do it

I seriously doubt Marvin ever made such comments. I have seen a few Bengals practices and the offense regularly torched the defense. I don’t remember Marvin being upset. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I don’t think Marvin had much say in personnel decisions particularly the Whit decision.  Of course he let Eifert coast thru training camp, guy is great when he plays and Marvin was just trying to get some games out of him. 

I seriously doubt any coach is that interested in a player that's only available for 2-3 games at the start of the season, no matter how good they are..  plus it's a terrible message to be sending to the rest of the team out there taking the hits in practice.   "Yeah sorry all you guys out there busting your ass in the heat every day & never missing a game but this fucking china doll that hasn't been relevant since 2015 is more important than you"

I hope Kroft tears it up in Buffalo, he deserves it after the bullshit here

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I seriously doubt any coach is that interested in a player that's only available for 2-3 games at the start of the season, no matter how good they are..  plus it's a terrible message to be sending to the rest of the team out there taking the hits in practice.   "Yeah sorry all you guys out there busting your ass in the heat every day & never missing a game but this fucking china doll that hasn't been relevant since 2015 is more important than you"

The players barely hit in practice and training camp anymore. If you think AJ Green is taking regular game type hits in training camp you are 100% wrong.  

Your hatred of Eifert is unhealthy and blame of Marvin misplaced. Write a letter to Duke Tobin and Katy if it bothers you so much. BTW, Boy Wonder isn’t going to let Eifert or any of his skill players get lit up in training camp either 

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

I seriously doubt Marvin ever made such comments. I have seen a few Bengals practices and the offense regularly torched the defense. I don’t remember Marvin being upset. 

SF2: "AJ Green is a liar".

AJ Green: "But I've been to every practice I possibly could have attended, all under Marvin Lewis, for 8 years.  That's over a thousand practices. Off-season and in-season."

SF2: "Nope, sorry, I have seen a few open to the public and that never happened, so you are a liar."

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What bad hand did Kroft get played here?

1 hour ago, membengal said:

SF2: "AJ Green is a liar".

AJ Green: "But I've been to every practice I possibly could have attended, all under Marvin Lewis, for 8 years.  That's over a thousand practices. Off-season and in-season."

SF2: "Nope, sorry, I have seen a few open to the public and that never happened, so you are a liar."

Are you trying to tell me that for 16 years the offense was told not to make the defense look bad during practice and we are finally just hearing about it?  You don’t think the Quitter or Chad wouldn’t have mentioned it by now?  When other people corroborate what AJ said, like Jay Gruden, Geno Atkins or Brat, I will believe him. 

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Wasn't Kroft injured a lot over the last 3 years too.  Although not as bad as Eifert, it seems as though he missed his fair share of games too due to injury.  Plus, as a receiver, he's not even close to being the same level of talent as Eifert.

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

The "article" is fake news. It begins with the conclusion-without-confirmation opening headline of "AJ Green enjoying life with an offensive minded head coach", and descends into subjective abyss thereafter.  

Is this click-bait hack his analyst or something? 

Me:  "Eifert hasn't really played much in like.. 3 years now?"

Eifert Fan Club:  "OmG wHy dO yOu hAte THE EIFERT?!"

:facepalm:

Better question: Why are you still nestled in his jock like a sweaty little chipmunk?

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

The "article" is fake news. It begins with the conclusion-without-confirmation opening headline of "AJ Green enjoying life with an offensive minded head coach", and descends into subjective abyss thereafter.  

Is this click-bait hack his analyst or something? 

Its actually "Whine Bait", isn't that right, T-Dub?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but doesn't it make sense for an offensive player to prefer playing for an offensive head coach?  Especially when the head coach will be calling plays himself.  Taylor will be focused on the offense unlike Marvin.  Why shouldn't our star WR be happy about the change?

Count John Ross among those excited for the competition about to unfold in the Cincinnati  Bengals’ wideout room.

Much was made of the Bengals not drafting at least one wideout with 10 selections in the draft. But Ross didn’t see it as a surprise — he’s ready for the competition the established depth chart will provide.

EmailSign up

Like this article?

Sign up for the Bengals Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

“I think the bigger our room gets, the heavier the competition gets. The more fun it gets,” Ross told the media. “I think that’s the best thing about our room, the ability to compete. I don’t think it is anybody in our room scared of competition…I love playing alongside these guys.”

Ross also noted he’s ready to help newcomers, should they arrive, and pointed out Bengals veterans did the same for him after he got drafted and was behind schedule with the playbook because he was finishing school.

But Ross not being surprised by the lack of wideouts drafted makes sense. He’s on a depth chart deep with names like A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd, Alex Erickson, Josh Malone and developmental types like Auden Tate, not to mention a big-name undrafted player like Stanley Morgan.

Ross has had his ups and downs as a pro so far. But this interview should be reassuring for fans in the same way he himself was reassured when Zac Taylor personally called him when trade rumorsbefore the draft popped up.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but doesn't it make sense for an offensive player to prefer playing for an offensive head coach?  Especially when the head coach will be calling plays himself.  Taylor will be focused on the offense unlike Marvin.  Why shouldn't our star WR be happy about the change?

You are not oversimplifying at all...it would be a logical assumption. 

Then why don't the alleged journalists in the sports media ask the simple question, receive the simple answer, and report the simple answer? Would we be satisfied with simple factual reporting, or is it necessary to infuse all the supposed/unconfirmed innuendo into the mix? 

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You are not oversimplifying at all...it would be a logical assumption. 

Then why don't the alleged journalists in the sports media ask the simple question, receive the simple answer, and report the simple answer? Would we be satisfied with simple factual reporting, or is it necessary to infuse all the supposed/unconfirmed innuendo into the mix? 

Goodell's version of the NFL thrives on fake drama.  It distracts from his players throwing pregnant women down stairwells.

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

Are you trying to tell me that for 16 years the offense was told not to make the defense look bad during practice and we are finally just hearing about it?  You don’t think the Quitter or Chad wouldn’t have mentioned it by now?  When other people corroborate what AJ said, like Jay Gruden, Geno Atkins or Brat, I will believe him. 

Whether it is 100% or 70% truth, it is in the kind of AJ therefore it is what he and probably other offensive players were thinking. Perception is reality. The last 3 years you could clearly see the players lacked motivation with hand clapping guru at the helm. AJès comments reinforce the meh attitude that prevailed.

Archived