This draft dropped a bomb of uncertainty in the Bengals OL room.

47 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Makes little sense to me either...other than to once again give the media "journalists" some imaginary panacea to throw out. 

With blurry eyes, I read this as “imaginary pancakes” and was about to agree.  Now I see my error...and am not so sure. 

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:

:ninja:

🦗

26 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Re-signing Bobby Hart seems to be the biggest screw up of

Zac's young career here.  Except his Old Navy discount rack

wardrobe.  

I don't see it that way. It was a good insurance policy instead, besides you need three legitimate starting calibur tackles in this league. We're lucky, due to the way the draft fell so fortunately for us, to have that. Prior to the draft we had absolutely no assurance of that. On top of all that you have to play the what if game. What if one of them sustains an injury during the game? What if it's a long term injury, as well? Aside from upgrading to a better tackle than Hart, this was a very wise move, IMO.

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Why would he put Boling in a competition and not Miller?  Wasn't Miller kind of meh at Buffalo?

Boling is the only OL on the roster I'm confident about.  

Boling wasn't very good last year either.  Miller also had a down year with the Bills but he played well in 2017 when they made the playoffs (with a huge assist from Dalton to Boyd).  The good part is that they have options if someone struggles or goes down.  Westerman and Jordan are both going to push for snaps.  Hopkins is primary backup at center and Hart is 1st tackle off the bench.  Not perfect by any means, but at least better than last year or even two weeks ago.

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Boling wasn't very good last year either.  Miller also had a down year with the Bills but he played well in 2017 when they made the playoffs (with a huge assist from Dalton to Boyd).  The good part is that they have options if someone struggles or goes down.  Westerman and Jordan are both going to push for snaps.  Hopkins is primary backup at center and Hart is 1st tackle off the bench.  Not perfect by any means, but at least better than last year or even two weeks ago.

If we're going to use last year as a metric they should get rid of everybody, down to the kids that pump the nacho cheese at the snack bar.   How many balls did AJ fleeb into the air for INTs last season?  Like Boling, AJ has been solid overall, up until things went off the rails.  Last year was the result of years of bad FO decisions and uninspired coaching.  That "clean slate" they keep talking about is well-deserved and about as close to an admission of failure as we'll get.

Anyhow.. I still have hope for Price, the rookies will get their shot, but Boling is the only OL on this team I have any confidence in.

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

I think it's Williams, Glenn, Price, Miller and Boling.  I think those are the best 5 linemen on this team.

Same.  Would not be surprised if Jordan moves ahead of Miller or whoever @ RG either.  

On 5/4/2019 at 10:33 AM, bengaled said:

I don't see it that way. It was a good insurance policy instead, besides you need three legitimate starting calibur tackles in this league. We're lucky, due to the way the draft fell so fortunately for us, to have that. Prior to the draft we had absolutely no assurance of that. On top of all that you have to play the what if game. What if one of them sustains an injury during the game? What if it's a long term injury, as well? Aside from upgrading to a better tackle than Hart, this was a very wise move, IMO.

Good post. And you're right: they had the foresight to know what they had on hand versus the uncertainty of the draft and ended up with both. Win/win.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Same.  Would not be surprised if Jordan moves ahead of Miller or whoever @ RG either.  

I'm thinking Jordan was picked to replace Boling, who is a free agent after 2019.  Jordan played LG for two years at OSU and it's probably his best position.  Boling is on the wrong side of 30 and might be too expensive to keep around.  Just reading the tea leaves and I won't be surprised if I'm completely wrong and Boling ends up re-signing.  

Archived