Hobson: In The Situation Room

2 hours ago, Jason said:

2009 was pretty exciting, if in a different way then 2005.  I will take a "low flying" team that sweeps the division any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

To me, the 09 team was fun to watch. I like that run the football smash mouth style though. 

6 hours ago, whodey? said:

To me, the 09 team was fun to watch. I like that run the football smash mouth style though. 

It amused the hell out of me because that was right in the middle of all the "it's a passing league!" talk.  Meanwhile we put in on our RB's and sweep the AFCN.

Then Goodell was all like "IT. IS. A. PASSING. LEAGUE."  and started changing rules to make sure of it.  :D

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It amused the hell out of me because that was right in the middle of all the "it's a passing league!" talk.  Meanwhile we put in on our RB's and sweep the AFCN.

Then Goodell was all like "IT. IS. A. PASSING. LEAGUE."  and started changing rules to make sure of it.  :D

The AFCN was garbage that year and we got our asses kicked by the Jets game 16 and the next week in the Wildcard game.   It was a passing league, still is and  the Bengals securing a Wildcard in 2009 didn't prove otherwise. 

51 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The AFCN was garbage that year and we got our asses kicked by the Jets game 16 and the next week in the Wildcard game.   It was a passing league, still is and  the Bengals securing a Wildcard in 2009 didn't prove otherwise. 

Roger is that you?  :D

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

The team went 10 - 6. They didn’t play just the AFC north. 

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

AFCN was stacked from 2008-2012.  3 Super Bowl appearances with wins by Baltimore and Pittsburgh.   Bengals also made playoffs 3 times.  Ravens eliminated NE from playoffs twice in that span and Stealers did it twice to the Ravens.  

The AFC North was not stacked in 2008. Only one team with double digit wins, the Cincinnati Bengals with 10. 

15 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The AFC North was not stacked in 2008. Only one team with double digit wins, the Cincinnati Bengals with 10. 

Stealers won the Super Bowl in 2008.  Ravens advanced to AFC Championship and lost to the Stealers.  Bengals won 10 in 2009 and Ravens also made playoffs and beat NE in the Wild Card Round.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Stealers won the Super Bowl in 2008.  Ravens advanced to AFC Championship and lost to the Stealers.  Bengals won 10 in 2009 and Ravens also made playoffs and beat NE in the Wild Card Round.

You are right, I am talking about 2009. 

20 hours ago, SF2 said:

Thinking about it further..  Yeah, let's talk about that '09 WC game against the Jets.  I think your memory of it may be a little fuzzy too:

Ced Benson ran for 169 yards on 21 carries.  For some reason (Bob "Inconceivable" Bratkowski) Ced's last carry of the day was a 47-yard TD run early in the 4th quarter, bringing us back to within one score at 21-14 with about 10 minutes left on the clock.

That's right; Ced didn't get another carry after a 47-yard TD run.  Instead, Bratfailski put the game on Carson, on a day he would finish 18/36 in below-zero wind chills.  Graham also missed 2 FG's.

So, hindsight being 20/20, what do you think would've happened if Bob "I was just about to say that!" Bratkowski kept feeding Ced the ball?  

Passing league, my ass. :D

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001090cin.htm#all_pbp

50 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Thinking about it further..  Yeah, let's talk about that '09 WC game against the Jets.  I think your memory of it may be a little fuzzy too:

Ced Benson ran for 169 yards on 21 carries.  For some reason (Bob "Inconceivable" Bratkowski) Ced's last carry of the day was a 47-yard TD run early in the 4th quarter, bringing us back to within one score at 21-14 with about 10 minutes left on the clock.

That's right; Ced didn't get another carry after a 47-yard TD run.  Instead, Bratfailski put the game on Carson, on a day he would finish 18/36 in below-zero wind chills.  Graham also missed 2 FG's.

So, hindsight being 20/20, what do you think would've happened if Bob "I was just about to say that!" Bratkowski kept feeding Ced the ball?  

Passing league, my ass.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001090cin.htm#all_pbp

The New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl that year. They had the #1 offense.  They had almost 3 times as many yards passing than rushing.  They beat the Colts. The Colts has 4 times as many passing yards than rushing. 

You are living in a different reality than the rest of us. You simply make shit up and pretend it is real. You think sarcasm will somehow make your mythical reality true. It doesn’t.  It hasn’t been a passing league for almost 20 years.  Defense can win you championship and a high octane (pass) offense can win you championships. 

It isnt a rushing league, hasn’t been for decades.  I am sure it conspiracy to fuck over the Bengals. 

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl that year. They had the #1 offense.  They had almost 3 times as many yards passing than rushing.  They beat the Colts. The Colts has 4 times as many passing yards than rushing. 

You are living in a different reality than the rest of us. You simply make shit up and pretend it is real. You think sarcasm will somehow make your mythical reality true. It doesn’t.  It hasn’t been a passing league for almost 20 years.  Defense can win you championship and a high octane (pass) offense can win you championships. 

It isnt a rushing league, hasn’t been for decades.  I am sure it conspiracy to fuck over the Bengals. 

Wow you really don't like being contradicted, do you?  

I just posted stats from the actual game and you're accusing me of.. IDK what exactly?  Some manner of bullshit I'm not going to bother trying to decipher.

Maybe go look at the game logs yourself and form your own conclusions instead of flying off the handle & wasting both of our times with this ad hominem stuff.  You're supposed to attack the post, not the poster, remember Mr. Moderator?  Yeesh.

Taking it from someone who was there that night, I do recall distinctly the literal ease the Bengals had running the football. But it wasn't just the post-Ced 47-yarder-then-stop-running which drove me nuts, it was the constant start-running-then-stop-running periods of the game before that. It was like brilliant up-and-down-field series, followed by "gee, let's see if the weak-elbowed Quitter can make cross-field passes to the always reliable Laveranues Coles". Defense didn't help much either, but I will never doubt that had they just kept running the football, they would have won. 

So yes, for that Bengal game/season, it was a rushing league. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Taking it from someone who was there that night, I do recall distinctly the literal ease the Bengals had running the football. But it wasn't just the post-Ced 47-yarder-then-stop-running which drove me nuts, it was the constant start-running-then-stop-running periods of the game before that. It was like brilliant up-and-down-field series, followed by "gee, let's see if the weak-elbowed Quitter can make cross-field passes to the always reliable Laveranues Coles". Defense didn't help much either, but I will never doubt that had they just kept running the football, they would have won. 

So yes, for that Bengal game/season, it was a rushing league. 

I didn't remember any details but the team looked hungover.  I figured after losing on the road we'd kick the shit out of them at home, where IIRC we were undefeated that year.

Big fuckin' oof.  Should've blown it up right then.

So yeah the 'aints won the SB behind Brees.  We don't play in domes so I think winning the division means running the ball consistently well in November-December.  Getting to the SB ourselves probably means 12+ wins for homefield.  IDC if we pass it 40 times a game when we can but  I've seen our pass-wacky offense disappear in those conditions too many times.  This isn't LA either, far as that goes.

Archived