2019 Bengals Rookie Mini-Camp

What spots do you all think have the best openings for a UDFA to make the roster?  OL & LB seem like the obvious holes where even some of our starters could end up being cut, but I could see a WR stealing a job too.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What spots do you all think have the best openings for a UDFA to make the roster?  OL & LB seem like the obvious holes where even some of our starters could end up being cut, but I could see a WR stealing a job too.

As far as WR, I think Cody Core is out the door.  He seems to be an afterthought in any WR discussion.

A new guy could easily take his spot via we've seen what he's got and this new guy is just as good

or better.  Auden Tate may not have lived up to the rookie hype and be vulnerable to waiverville.

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

As far as WR, I think Cody Core is out the door.  He seems to be an afterthought in any WR discussion.

A new guy could easily take his spot via we've seen what he's got and this new guy is just as good

or better.  Auden Tate may not have lived up to the rookie hype and be vulnerable to waiverville.

One of the draft picks or free agents is going to have to show himself to be a better gunner than Core, or I think he stays.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

One of the draft picks or free agents is going to have to show himself to be a better gunner than Core, or I think he stays.

That was my thought as well; anyone claiming a WR spot is going to have to show up on special teams.  Carrying Ross means there's not much room in that group for another situational player that's only good for maybe 6-8 plays a game.   Honestly if we didn't owe him first round draft pick money he'd probably be on the bubble now himself.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That was my thought as well; anyone claiming a WR spot is going to have to show up on special teams.  Carrying Ross means there's not much room in that group for another situational player that's only good for maybe 6-8 plays a game.   Honestly if we didn't owe him first round draft pick money he'd probably be on the bubble now himself.

Yeah its kind of like paying cash for a brand new Pontiac Aztek and then realizing it wasn't all that great.  Unfortunately, you already paid for it and it depreciated 60% the minute you drove it off the lot.  Your only real choice is to keep driving it. 

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If Mixon, Gio, Anderson & Williams are all healthy, I don't see any opportunities there.  Some one like Sutherland or Dugas may have an outside shot at the last OLIne slot and someone like Sterling might stick at LB, if they don't bring in a vet off the waiver wire.   Dugas would have to show he could back RT at the very least though.

The most likely spot is WR.  Wouldn't surprise me if Stanley Morgan Jr. is close to a lock.  Not wild about anyone in that room after Green, Boyd and maybe Erickson.  Ross will probably be here and I still think Malone has potential, but Core and Tate are pretty much fungible to me.  This is another spot where I could see them still bring a vet in on a waiver claim as insurance against an injury to Green or Boyd.  That's one thing that really worries me.

18 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Watched a couple of his mixes.  Produced in college, seemed to have good hands & size (6-4/190).  Not sure about his speed, but if it's adequate and he can gun, he may have an outside (long) shot.  Wouldn't get too excited though.  Afterall, he was still available late in UFA.

Bengals Sign Three College Free Agents, Waive Two Players

The Bengals signed three college free agents — WR Ventell Bryant of Temple, LB Noah Dawkins of The Citadel, and LB Sterling Sheffield of Maine. All three are rookies and participated in this weekend’s rookie minicamp as tryout players.

The team today also waived LB Brandon Bell and WR Charles Holland. Bell played in nine games for the Bengals over the last two seasons, and recorded seven tackles on defense and seven on special teams. Holland had signed with the Bengals on Friday as a college free agent out of Tiffin.

Archived