Visiting Cincinnati area with family

20 hours ago, Cat said:

I'm posting updates because I am excited - if you are still reading this thread, hope you are interested.

Tour was way cool - though I was starting to get disappointed until we stepped on the field. Did 4 40 yard dash races with my sons... still beat them. Didn't get to go in the weight room, it was being used. Saw the new German fellow doing squats. Only got to see the visitor locker room, but still cool. Tour guide was a sweet lady named Sue.

Decided to have lunch at Moerlein. Really tasty. Based on what we've heard here, and your suggestions, going to pass on Montgomery Inn. I do like the sauce, but I can get that in Kroger in Houston. Boiled ribs are common and gross - they do it because the meat falls off the bone. Pass.

Will probably take the wife to Knockback Nats - have heard good things. Tomorrow will take the fam to Skyline.

Want to share with you some pics of our trip to Koch's. So you all know I didn't come here to fuck around.

Jtyxo0KNHvrvXF-dpwtbaZrM_xPA-jeJKnkexnt7

Not sure about anyone else, but I just see blank boxes (no images).

2 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

damn, sorry guys - I thought they showed up. Having trouble getting them to show without uploading from my laptops as attachments instead of pics. My above is about a 2 second video, which my be my proudest in my last 5 years or so. 

Appreciate all the suggestions and comments. Went to some dive place downtown for breakfast, had goetta and egg sandwich, which I'd never had before. Really enjoyed it. Then went to the Newport Aquarium. Was nice, but more crowded than my liking. Ended up at Skyline for lunch, and to my surprise, the kids loved it. Wanted to get Gold Star or Blue Ash, or one of those that you guys suggested, but will have to wait until next time. Did get to the observation deck of Carew Tower also. These last 3 days just flew by.

4 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

It might not be a vacation spot but it is hard for me to come to Cincy and not make a trip to Jungle Jim's.

That was on our list too - but one of those we just ran out of time for. I hate grocery stores, but that seems more of an amusement park / exhibit than a grocery store.

Just now, Cat said:

That was on our list too - but one of those we just ran out of time for. I hate grocery stores, but that seems more of an amusement park / exhibit than a grocery store.

That's the way it would be me if my family was with me.  On the list as a filler but not as a main attraction.

But when I stop it's to buy a whole chub of Seltzer's Sweet Lebanon Bologna. 

2 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

The images showed up for up for me just fine.  He was flipping off several different stealer items/apparel.

1 hour ago, Cat said:

Sort of like Buc-ee's. I make a lot of trips between DFW and Houston when seeing relatives down there. That one on 45 at Madisonville is always a stop. 

Back to chili....Are there still Dixie chili locations?  Was one of my favorites.  N. Kentucky chili.  More kick than Skyline or Gold Star. 

I would suspect the quality has diminished, but a Baked Buddy at LaRosa's was always a favorite.

46 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Back to chili....Are there still Dixie chili locations?  Was one of my favorites.  N. Kentucky chili.  More kick than Skyline or Gold Star. 

I would suspect the quality has diminished, but a Baked Buddy at LaRosa's was always a favorite.

Try the new Adriatico's,  they have a full restaurant now with a good beer menu.  Best pizza in town.

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Yes...Erlanger, Newport, and Covington.  Good stuff.  Still an Empress Chili or two also I think. 

Speaking of food and Cincinnati...it's Burger Week!    https://www.cincinnatiburgerweek.com/

13 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I love the Baked Buddy.  Always get at least 1 while I'm in town.

That was a fun trip. If anyone is ever visiting Houston and needs some info, would be glad to help out.

God knows we had enough burgers on this trip. I think my favorite was Bru Burger, on 6th. And the whiskey chocolate fudge cake - bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

24 minutes ago, Cat said:

That was a fun trip. If anyone is ever visiting Houston and needs some info, would be glad to help out.

God knows we had enough burgers on this trip. I think my favorite was Bru Burger, on 6th. And the whiskey chocolate fudge cake - bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Have you ever had Bird Dog chocolate whiskey? It is delicious. Subtle, smooth chocolate flavor.

17 hours ago, Cat said:

I still have family there I will be visiting, but not having lived there in forever myself I am out of the (610) loop.

1. Where's the best wax-paper BBQ shack coming from Downtown? The sort of place that sells out of everything by 1pm, you know the one.

2. Best kolaches? The jalapeno sausage ones that're properly called a klobasnik, if you tell me it's from a Vietnamese convenience store that wouldn't surprise me.

3. Where do I go for hamburgers with Charlie's Hamburger Joint long gone? That was my #1 spot as a kid if we were heading to the city.

4. Does the little train still run around Hermann Park & do you think the conductor will let me drive it for $20, $50 if I can wear the hat?

5. Bonus longshot question:  There was a drive-in around Texas City or La Marque, traditional menu like you'd expect, really good BBQ burgers but they also sold fried shrimp & oysters, po' boys, frog legs etc.  Probably long gone as well but I can't remember the name or location well enough to be sure.  Ring a bell?

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I still have family there I will be visiting, but not having lived there in forever myself I am out of the (610) loop.

1. Where's the best wax-paper BBQ shack coming from Downtown? The sort of place that sells out of everything by 1pm, you know the one.

2. Best kolaches? The jalapeno sausage ones that're properly called a klobasnik, if you tell me it's from a Vietnamese convenience store that wouldn't surprise me.

3. Where do I go for hamburgers with Charlie's Hamburger Joint long gone? That was my #1 spot as a kid if we were heading to the city.

4. Does the little train still run around Hermann Park & do you think the conductor will let me drive it for $20, $50 if I can wear the hat?

5. Bonus longshot question:  There was a drive-in around Texas City or La Marque, traditional menu like you'd expect, really good BBQ burgers but they also sold fried shrimp & oysters, po' boys, frog legs etc.  Probably long gone as well but I can't remember the name or location well enough to be sure.  Ring a bell?

1) The most popular in these parts is either Killen's in Pearland, or Corkscrew in Spring. Killen's is a restaurant, but I believe Corkscrew is more of a shack. If you want to go out of the city (NW), Snow's is incredible. But they sell out by about noon and that's the end of that for the day.

2) Honestly, my favorite is from a chain - Kolache factory - either the Ranchero or biscuit / gravy flavor. Don't laugh - but from what I have heard, the new-ish owners of Home-Cut in Galveston are reported to have significantly increased the kolache standard on the island.

3) My suggestion for burgers - either Hubcap Grill or Hopdoddy's (if you like a good beer with your burger).

4) Train still runs - though you may have to pay a little more, with time-value of money. $100 and he'd probably let you drive it all day.

5) To be fair, coming from Galveston, I avoided those two cities like the plague, except chasing a few little hotties stealthily. But - my brother still lives in Toxic City, I will ask him if he remembers.

Let me know when you head this way - would def buy you a beer.

7 hours ago, Cat said:

Let me know when you head this way - would def buy you a beer.

Thanks I hope to take you up on that.  Nice to see Galveston representing for a BOTI.   Toxic City, that's about right.  Flint MI or Gary IN have nothing on that place.  I remember seeing those oil fires Saddam set during the first Gulf War and thinking it looked familiar.

I had never heard of kolaches until I was down in Waco visiting relations last December. I was curious, so was pointed towards this little burg called West. There was this bakery--inside of a Shell station no less--called Little Czech Bakery. Lines were running out the door, and couldn't help but wonder what all the fuss was over. After a sampling of the many varieties, total addiction ensued. They shipped their wares, and I do make orders from time to time.

My son and I have decided on going to Texas for Spring break. He is a huge Luka Doncic fan and wants to see the Mavs play. If they're still playing in April. I think we are flying into Austin. We plan on driving around a bit. I would like to go to San Antonio for a bit since I was there in the AF for a few months. If the Mavs are done, maybe we'll go to Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christie instead. I really like Texas. I may be scouting out a place to relocate to after my son goes off to college in 2 or 3 years.

Sorry for the life story, but I am interested in places to go inside the San Antonio, Houston, Dallas loop. I would be fine without going to Dallas if there's no Mavs to watch. 

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

My son and I have decided on going to Texas for Spring break. He is a huge Luka Doncic fan and wants to see the Mavs play. If they're still playing in April. I think we are flying into Austin. We plan on driving around a bit. I would like to go to San Antonio for a bit since I was there in the AF for a few months. If the Mavs are done, maybe we'll go to Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christie instead. I really like Texas. I may be scouting out a place to relocate to after my son goes off to college in 2 or 3 years.

Sorry for the life story, but I am interested in places to go inside the San Antonio, Houston, Dallas loop. I would be fine without going to Dallas if there's no Mavs to watch. 

Dallas I am not familiar with - that place is nuts. Houston traffic sucks, but Dallas is the same with more psychos driving.

Corpus Christi - I have only been there a couple of times - the USS Lexington is a really cool tour, if you're into that sort of thing. Lots of seafood places.

Austin is a beautiful place, but the city really exploded in popularity and outgrew their road system. You can tour the capitol building, visit 6th street (bars), though prob not with your son.

San Antonio is my favorite place to visit. There are things to do in the city, but my favorite is to chill on the Riverwalk and drink margaritas and stuff my face. Tons of shops and restaurants. Did you go to tech school at Lackland? I joined the USAF to see the world, and they stuck me 4 hours from home, at Lackland. BMT, tech school, and finally perm party all there.

Houston - depends on your interests - zoo, museums out the ass, food (BBQ, REAL Mexican food, seafood), couple of big water parks. Major league football, baseball, basketball, even a soccer team. Free boat tour of part of the Houston ship channel (have to make a reservation). Kemah boardwalk. Tons of options - if you can narrow it down some, would be glad to recommend.

Galveston - my hometown. Tourist trap, but great place to chill. The beach is technically a beach, but where the Mississippi river hits the gulf, all the mud and sediment travels to Galveston resulting in brown water. Not clear like most other beaches - but still not bad to just chill on a beach. The Strand is a touristy place with shops / restaurants / bars.

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I had never heard of kolaches until I was down in Waco visiting relations last December. I was curious, so was pointed towards this little burg called West. There was this bakery--inside of a Shell station no less--called Little Czech Bakery. Lines were running out the door, and couldn't help but wonder what all the fuss was over. After a sampling of the many varieties, total addiction ensued. They shipped their wares, and I do make orders from time to time.

What??? That should be a crime. Kolaches should be well readily available everywhere! We have thousands of donut shops, and they all sell them, though most of them taste the same. They are good, but when you find one that blows you away...

53 minutes ago, Cat said:

Dallas I am not familiar with - that place is nuts. Houston traffic sucks, but Dallas is the same with more psychos driving.

Corpus Christi - I have only been there a couple of times - the USS Lexington is a really cool tour, if you're into that sort of thing. Lots of seafood places.

Austin is a beautiful place, but the city really exploded in popularity and outgrew their road system. You can tour the capitol building, visit 6th street (bars), though prob not with your son.

San Antonio is my favorite place to visit. There are things to do in the city, but my favorite is to chill on the Riverwalk and drink margaritas and stuff my face. Tons of shops and restaurants. Did you go to tech school at Lackland? I joined the USAF to see the world, and they stuck me 4 hours from home, at Lackland. BMT, tech school, and finally perm party all there.

Houston - depends on your interests - zoo, museums out the ass, food (BBQ, REAL Mexican food, seafood), couple of big water parks. Major league football, baseball, basketball, even a soccer team. Free boat tour of part of the Houston ship channel (have to make a reservation). Kemah boardwalk. Tons of options - if you can narrow it down some, would be glad to recommend.

Galveston - my hometown. Tourist trap, but great place to chill. The beach is technically a beach, but where the Mississippi river hits the gulf, all the mud and sediment travels to Galveston resulting in brown water. Not clear like most other beaches - but still not bad to just chill on a beach. The Strand is a touristy place with shops / restaurants / bars.

Thanks for the great info. I had tech school up the road at Brooks AFB and went back 3 or 4 times for training courses. Love the river walk and all of the little tacquerias seemingly on every block in some areas. San Antonio is the only one of the aforementioned cities that I've been to. Except I drove through Houston once. A friend of mine told me the same thing about Austin that there isn't much for a teenager to do. But if he gets some great food he'll be fine. I was surprised how cheap the air fares were for Austin last I checked. So it will probably mostly be just a central hub.

Thought I would mention re: the USS Lexington..   Seawolf Park on Pelican Island next to Galveston is home to the USS Cavalla, a WW2 Gato-class submarine. It sank the Japanese carrier Shokaku that had taken part in the attack on Pearl Harbor.  

Archived