Visiting Cincinnati area with family

Appreciate any suggestions - my previous trips were all for work, so cost wasn't much of an issue. With family, it is. Better to stay around Dayton, or Kentucky, or? Any suggestions appreciated.

Agree with Jason.  Downtown stuff is expensive as with any decent sized city, but there are lots of affordable alternatives in suburbs in any direction including south into Northern Ky.  Just depends on what/where your activities are located for convenience sake.  Dayton is pretty far unless you planned activities in the north end of Cincy.  More info would be helpful in suggesting a lodging location as well as areas to avoid that seem cheap, and also whether you are just looking for a place to stay or looking for things to do too.

37 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Agree with Jason.  Downtown stuff is expensive as with any decent sized city, but there are lots of affordable alternatives in suburbs in any direction including south into Northern Ky.  Just depends on what/where your activities are located for convenience sake.  Dayton is pretty far unless you planned activities in the north end of Cincy.  More info would be helpful in suggesting a lodging location as well as areas to avoid that seem cheap, and also whether you are just looking for a place to stay or looking for things to do too.

Appreciate that - I think for sure, we (I) want to do the PBS tour, most likely the zoo - there's a couple of cool things downtown I want to show them. Other than that, *maybe* King's Island, Jungle Jim's. Of course have to squeeze in Montgomery Inn and Skyline. We don't need a Motel 6, or the Waldorf - just preferably a place in a safe area that we can get around to stuff to. A

And any suggestions about other cool things to do would be great. Thanks!

Don't stay in Dayton.  While you may save a few dollars a day on the hotel, the drive isn't worth it.  There is also construction on 75 that's adding 15 - 30 to the drive each way.  Normal drive from south Dayton around 675 to the zoo is an hour.  Today it'll take 1 1/2 hour with the delay, that's 3 hours out of your day for the zoo trip.

Hofbräuhaus Newport was a good spot ages ago. I'd defer to someone with more recent experience.

The Bar at Palm court in the downtown Hilton Netherland Plaza is worth a walk through. Classic design ala Art Deco.

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal is another historic site in the Queen city.

my nickel.

Newport aquarium should be on the list for a visit to the area.  As someone else already said, Hofbräuhaus. Graeter's ice cream near Fountain Square which is also pretty cool.  I'd personally stay in or near Fountain Square but IF I was trying to keep the cost down, Covington or Newport might be better.

Yeah, Dayton isn't worth staying at unless you want Pine Club Steaks ($$$) or Bill's Donuts in Centerville.   You could also hit the FREE Air Force Museum in Beavercreek at Wright Patterson AFB which is one of the best museums in the world.  Drive is pretty far but the Air Force Museum might be worth it. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, Dayton isn't worth staying at unless you want Pine Club Steaks ($$$) or Bill's Donuts in Centerville.   You could also hit the FREE Air Force Museum in Beavercreek at Wright Patterson AFB which is one of the best museums in the world.  Drive is pretty far but the Air Force Museum might be worth it. 

And right now they have a D-Day exhibit. It is definitely cool. 

That does sound rather cool:

A new exhibit called Freedom From Above will open at 9 a.m. Monday, according to the museum. The exhibit will focus on the experiences of the 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions and their missions during D-Day.

The 3,500 square-foot exhibit features “HistoPads,” touch-screen tablets that allow visitors to see 360-degree recreations of Airmen’s experiences during the invasion while also displaying previously unseen photos and film along with interactive maps and archives. Users can get a glimpse of what it was like as a paratrooper to jump out of a plane over Normandy.

I appreciate all the tips - all ideas are appreciated.

Interesting thing about Wright Pat - when I was deployed to Saudi Arabia after Khobar Towers, they had a tribute stone type memorial - I swore that I read they moved it to Wright Pat, but I can non longer find anything on it. Of course, I also swore that I had a picture of me with the thing while I was there - but it would be cool to see it again on this side of the world.

001102-F-4270S-011.JPG

4 minutes ago, Cat said:

Interesting thing about Wright Pat - when I was deployed to Saudi Arabia after Khobar Towers, they had a tribute stone type memorial - I swore that I read they moved it to Wright Pat, but I can non longer find anything on it. Of course, I also swore that I had a picture of me with the thing while I was there - but it would be cool to see it again on this side of the world.

001102-F-4270S-011.JPG

I was at NASIC last month. And I was with the Patriot BN that rotated out just before Khobar Towers. I used to jog along that route every morning.

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The USAF Museum is awesome & also massive, it's easily big enough to warrant a weekend trip on its own if you're into that kind of thing.

A good day trip would be WWII aircraft area (the advancement in air power over 6 years was astounding) the new D-Day exhibit, touch the SR-71 Black Bird check out the only XB-70 Valkyrie left (they are literally 10 feet apart) and tour Air Force One. 

XB-70 perhaps the most bad ass and beautiful plane ever built.

20 hours ago, Cat said:

001102-F-4270S-011.JPG

I asked my buddy who volunteers at the Dayton USAFM if he remembers seeing this memorial on display.  Unfortunately it didn't ring any bells with him and he gave me the following link which doesn't seem to list it either, but who knows how up-to-date and complete it is.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195823/other-memorials/

You got some really good advice otherwise above.  Enjoy your visit!

• 1 month later...

Visit going great so far. I've not been here in the summer, and a little surprised how hot it is. Considering where we came from, I figured it would be hot, but more-so that we thought.

Went to the zoo today, and this is more directed to TDub - WTF are these things that look like flies and bite like mosquitoes? We have one or the other in Houston. They ravaged the shit out of me at the zoo today.

We have PBS tour tomorrow, and prob Mont Inn Boathouse. Now we are eyeing the damn hurricane that may impact our trip home on Sunday. 

Those are flies--and the buggers do go for exposed sweaty skin. 

PBS will be a blast--get photos on the field for yourself and family. Have one of me at the 50 in the B (thanks Amish!) still hangs on my wall. The locker room is nice...and do check out the impressive weight room and "indoor practice field"! 

Time may not be on your side, but if you would want to take a bit and have a cold one--the Holy Grail is right down at the entrance to GABP. You'll pass the Underground Railroad Museum along the way. 

Have a great time! 

10 hours ago, Cat said:

Visit going great so far. I've not been here in the summer, and a little surprised how hot it is. Considering where we came from, I figured it would be hot, but more-so that we thought.

Went to the zoo today, and this is more directed to TDub - WTF are these things that look like flies and bite like mosquitoes? We have one or the other in Houston. They ravaged the shit out of me at the zoo today.

We have PBS tour tomorrow, and prob Mont Inn Boathouse. Now we are eyeing the damn hurricane that may impact our trip home on Sunday. 

Warning about Montgomery Inn.  Living in Texas you're probably used to real BBQ.  Montgomery Inn isn't.  They boil their ribs and cover them in sauce.  The sauce is good, but after leaving Cincinnati and having real BBQ I don't like MI anymore.  :smile: Except the sauce.

Archived