Visiting Cincinnati area with family

11 hours ago, Cat said:

Went to the zoo today, and this is more directed to TDub - WTF are these things that look like flies and bite like mosquitoes?

Deer or horse flies.  The ones up in Montana would take a chunk out of you and go chew on it somewhere.

Yo Mr Cat

Have not chimed in but all the advice is good.  The zoo and Air Force Museum are worth the trip.

Also, if you get to see the inner sanctum of the stadium, its quite impressive.

Agree about Montgomery Inn.  Overrated and really not that good.  Boiled, tasteless meat and all the

flavor comes from the sweet sauce.

Kings Island is pretty trashy now and not worth it.

Hope you had/are having a good time.

20 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Agree about Montgomery Inn.  Overrated and really not that good.  Boiled, tasteless meat and all the

flavor comes from the sweet sauce.

100% agree and the sauce isn't that great either.  BOILED RIBS?! What kind of joyless degenerate prison cafeteria shit is that?  IDK how this place got to be some kind of destination but even a chain like City BBQ makes me wonder how Monkeymeat Inn stays in business.  YOU AIN'T FANCY MFER

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Warning about Montgomery Inn.  Living in Texas you're probably used to real BBQ.  Montgomery Inn isn't.  They boil their ribs and cover them in sauce.  The sauce is good, but after leaving Cincinnati and having real BBQ I don't like MI anymore.  :smile: Except the sauce.

When the old man was still alive the ribs were much better. Since his passing the difference between the quality of the ribs and the service has gone down hill substantially, especially at the Montgomery Road location. 

They used to slow cook the ribs by steaming them in foil back in the day (talking 20 years ago) then finish the cooking via the grill.  Now I believe they just boil them and then overcook them on the grill as the last step.  It sucks because we used to go to the Montgomery Road location a lot because it is close,  then we started going to the Boathouse because the food was better.  Now it seems both locations are hit or miss.

I'm posting updates because I am excited - if you are still reading this thread, hope you are interested.

Tour was way cool - though I was starting to get disappointed until we stepped on the field. Did 4 40 yard dash races with my sons... still beat them. Didn't get to go in the weight room, it was being used. Saw the new German fellow doing squats. Only got to see the visitor locker room, but still cool. Tour guide was a sweet lady named Sue.

Decided to have lunch at Moerlein. Really tasty. Based on what we've heard here, and your suggestions, going to pass on Montgomery Inn. I do like the sauce, but I can get that in Kroger in Houston. Boiled ribs are common and gross - they do it because the meat falls off the bone. Pass.

Will probably take the wife to Knockback Nats - have heard good things. Tomorrow will take the fam to Skyline.

Want to share with you some pics of our trip to Koch's. So you all know I didn't come here to fuck around.

Jtyxo0KNHvrvXF-dpwtbaZrM_xPA-jeJKnkexnt7

LTH37NCkH5an0yzNIYae21V-mSQtr8677qTGmKmp

nXYseyRPd1Jac4-sQHEBFoSRB3bXGPZSgVqgUq4c

brXdf8u5VtUDbjSljaz3Su077Mkhef-kxQVpkGGT

Zop9L6_FrMsue_V_vaXqa-qIpSCf6kHKQH0v7bL8

Absolutely no reason to go out for BBQ in Cincinnati when you live in Houston unless it's to someone's back yard.  In fact your city is so diverse I'm having a hard time thinking of anything regional besides the chili and maybe German food we have over them.. But Texas has plenty of Germans too, speaking as a displaced descendant of them myself.  I would suggest going to Camp Washington and/or Price Hill Chili instead of the chains but that's my 2 cents on where to eat

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Absolutely no reason to go out for BBQ in Cincinnati when you live in Houston unless it's to someone's back yard.  In fact your city is so diverse I'm having a hard time thinking of anything regional besides the chili and maybe German food we have over them.. But Texas has plenty of Germans too, speaking as a displaced descendant of them myself.  I would suggest going to Camp Washington and/or Price Hill Chili instead of the chains but that's my 2 cents on where to eat

Precinct is not a bad option but pricey.  You have to eat some Skyline.  That would be like not eating a cheese steak in Philly

Check out Finley Market, great food options..especially Eli's BBQ...Best in the city. If you are downtown you've got to get the maple bacon donut from Holtman's.

The art museum is by Eden park is nice and it's close to Krohn's Conservatory which is also a cool place to go in the summer...figuratively and literally...

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

was it a job reconstituting the dried dog kibble for Skyline chili?

No. It was a job marketing a new Gold Star non-chili menu item every month to try to get people to eat there instead of Skyline.

2 minutes ago, Hooky said:

No. It was a job marketing a new Gold Star menu item every month to try to get people to eat there instead of Skyline.

You seem confused sir, would you like more Fritos in your ranch dressing burrito?

Chicken-Bacon-Ranch.jpg

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You seem confused sir, would you like more Fritos in your ranch dressing burrito?

Chicken-Bacon-Ranch.jpg

I just looked at both menus. Skyline has a couple of salads and wraps. While Gold Star is trying to convert to a burger joint with a couple of chili items. Having trouble getting people to eat their chili, I guess. And they have a chicken bacon ranch also. Don't take my word for it. Check out the Gold Star menu. In Milford, they are across the street from each other and there is never a crowd at the Gold Star and Skyline is usually packed.

6 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I just looked at both menus. Skyline has a couple of salads and wraps. While Gold Star is trying to convert to a burger joint with a couple of chili items. Having trouble getting people to eat their chili, I guess. And they have a chicken bacon ranch also. Don't take my word for it. Check out the Gold Star menu. In Milford, they are across the street from each other and there is never a crowd at the Gold Star and Skyline is usually packed.

That "wrap" looks disgusting IMHO.  "Wraps" are just weird burritos for people that find garlic mayo too spicy.

I would try a Gold Star chili burger over anything at Skyline.  I'm not from around here, though.

I believe the point was that Camp Wash or Price Hill Chili are better than either chain.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That "wrap" looks disgusting IMHO.  "Wraps" are just weird burritos for people that find garlic mayo too spicy.

I would try a Gold Star chili burger over anything at Skyline.  I'm not from around here, though.

I believe the point was that Camp Wash or Price Hill Chili are better than either chain.

It was the point. Until you did the Skyline sucks post. And the camp, Price Hill and Pleasant Ridge are better. I love the option of having goetta and eggs and a couple of coneys at the  parlors.

4 minutes ago, Hooky said:

It was the point. Until you did the Skyline sucks post. And the camp, Price Hill and Pleasant Ridge are better. I love the option of having goetta and eggs and a couple of coneys at the  parlors.

I've not been to Pleasant Ridge..  At least, I don't think I have.. If they're open late, I may have been & it was redacted.

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I've not been to Pleasant Ridge..  At least, I don't think I have.. If they're open late, I may have been & it was redacted.

They are open until 4:30 AM. Which is a weird cut-off.

Archived