Bengals Eye Next Phase As Practice Beckons (OTAs thread)

26 minutes ago, spicoli said:

just wow

OK..you explain it. 

Less than average nobody UDFA guard gets suspended for PED violations (the severity of which may be taken into consideration), and the pharisaic response is: "he's a loser...toss him". Then, a highly-regarded, 8-time Pro Bowler, also gets suspended for PED violations, and the not-so-pharisaic response is: "well, that's OK...he's a better player". 

I suppose the irony is lost somewhere? 

It’s all about Nick Vigil for the Cincinnati Bengals defense.

Vigil is far from the biggest name. But the 2016 third-round pick is now one of the senior-most members of the defense and at OTAs is quickly morphing into the face of the unit, especially since he’s been lining up other players, per Bengals.com:

Vigil says Anarumo has done a nice job “making it simple for us so we don’t have to think as much,” but new linebackers coach Tem Lukabu has been impressed with how Vigil has been using his head in getting people lined up and diagnosing what the offense is running. He’d like to help Vigil stay healthy, but it’s just not him.

Leadership and the on-field mic usually went to Burfict, even with is sporadic appearances in games. But he’s in Oakland now so the role shifts to Vigil, a three-down linebacker the Bengals hope can lead the unit in a stunning turnaround.

“We were saying it’s a new look. No Vontaze. No Vinny. No Rey from back when I was here early,” Vigil said. “I’ve had a lot of reps over the past two years. So I’m pretty comfortable in there. I understand what offenses are trying to do a little more. I’m more aware of situational football.”

For this to work out the way the new Bengals coaching staff envisions, Vigil will have to stay healthy. He has only appeared in 11 games in each of his past two seasons, though the Bengals staff was encouraged by his play late last year.

Vigil will have Preston Brown back with him on early downs next year, though the shape of the unit as a whole continues to change. Third-round pick Germaine Pratt could break into some playing time and so could Malik Jefferson, a third-round pick from last year.

But given his experience and effectiveness when on the field, not to mention communication responsibilities, the Bengals linebackers will go as Vigil goes in 2019.

If the Bengals LB's truly "go as Vigil goes" they'll probably be joining him in the shitter.

Sounds like classic Hob-spin coming from the team "this guy is sorely lacking in talent & ability, or production, but boy is he a wily veteran!" I hope he really did have some kind of miraculous turnaround but this Nick Vigil, Defensive Team Captain stuff does not inspire confidence.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If the Bengals LB's truly "go as Vigil goes" they'll probably be joining him in the shitter.

Sounds like classic Hob-spin coming from the team "this guy is sorely lacking in talent & ability, or production, but boy is he a wily veteran!" I hope he really did have some kind of miraculous turnaround but this Nick Vigil, Defensive Team Captain stuff does not inspire confidence.

Somebody has to be the best player on the worst linebacker squad in the NFL.  We better hope Pratt has 1st round talent because we have by far the least talented slowest group of linebackers in the NFL.  Pratt is by far the fastest guy on the squad now. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

okay....I was simply commenting on your deep-seeded hatred of everything NFL.

seems a little..much.

If it had anything to do with the NFL, then you would be correct. But it had to do with the tartuffian comments as to the similar-but-not-equal PED cases of Redmond and Peterson. Alex is a loser, because he isn't great on the field. Patrick is OK because he is an 8-time ProBowler. 

Whatevs...nothing new under the sun. 

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I'm sure veteran Peyton Manning really leaned on Brian Callahan's expertise. 

Hah! That reminded me of an exchange from our Norman years ago I witnessed.

It was at TC in Wilmington-'90 I think. On one of the practice fields, you could stand behind a fence where the QB's were drilling. Dana Bible was the QB coach. Norman takes a snap and rolls out after giving one of his patented play fakes he was so gifted at doing. Bible snaps out "quicker on that Boom!". Norman looks at him, shakes his head, and grins like "YOU are going to tell me how to run that??" 

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Hah! That reminded me of an exchange from our Norman years ago I witnessed.

It was at TC in Wilmington-'90 I think. On one of the practice fields, you could stand behind a fence where the QB's were drilling. Dana Bible was the QB coach. Norman takes a snap and rolls out after giving one of his patented play fakes he was so gifted at doing. Bible snaps out "quicker on that Boom!". Norman looks at him, shakes his head, and grins like "YOU are going to tell me how to run that??" 

And that is why Boomer is one of the biggest Asses Associated with the NFL.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I'd have no problem whatsoever with it bring the other way around..

Unfortunately our veteran QB is not likely to be confused with Peyton Manning. 

Callahan may be awesome but I think there will prob be a reshuffle with the assistant coaches next season.   We were just trying to fill offices there before the draft.

Archived