Are The Bengals the least respected team in The NFL?

10 teams equal to our more losses than Cincy in 2018 yet by default it seems every prognosticator outside of southwest Ohio sees The Bengals as bottom three in the coming year.

Christ The Browns haven't done shit in eons but somehow are the darlings of the league. That has never happened here. Last night I listened to some Titans fans argue they are the least respected in the league - and no doubt they are an ignored team but nothing near the stigma of this team.

If someone is less respected, who is it?

2 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

10 teams equal to our more losses than Cincy in 2018 yet by default it seems every prognosticator outside of southwest Ohio sees The Bengals as bottom three in the coming year.

Christ The Browns haven't done shit in eons but somehow are the darlings of the league. That has never happened here. Last night I listened to some Titans fans argue they are the least respected in the league - and no doubt they are an ignored team but nothing near the stigma of this team.

If someone is less respected, who is it?

A few teams come close.  Detroit is pretty much ignored as is Arizona.   Oakland may get a lot of ink but they don't get much respect.  Does any respect the Bills?

Statistically this team has definitely had it's strong eras, but stats don't tell the whole story, do they? I believe it's the squandering of opportunities that has solidified the team's negative rep. For me it  dates back to the two Super Bowl losses in the 80's. Certainly respectable performances by the team, but also heartbreaking, very winnable games. Mitigating circumstances like running backs going on crack benders, star linemen having their leg snapped by notorious, unchecked, chop blocking 49ers. There's many more examples of inexplicable self sabotage and just plain bad luck over the years. The Lewis era didn't help the rep of getting the minimum out of some strong contenders. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and the bigger the stage the worse it seemed to be (see 2015). The team may not need to go all the way to get more respect, but not self destructing and having a little good fortune for a change in big games would help. A dramatic last minute playoff win could do wonders, even if the team got smoked the next week. 

they probably are, but they earned it..

They went from a joke of a franchise in the 90's to a good team after Marv got here that always choked in the playoffs.

Nobody is going to give them any respect until they win something, even if it's just one playoff game.

There was a point in the mid-late 2000's before they started losing in the first round of the playoffs every year that they were getting some respect.

Then they started losing to rookie QB's and just giving playoff games away, with ole marv clap clap clapping away.

Maybe the new guy can change some shit around here.. I hope so

1 hour ago, BENGALS666 said:

🙄 As if you couldn't apply that to every single fan topic related to the nfl or sports in general... 

likely so but what national pundits think about our little ragtag football team is a big ole yawner for me...truly something I couldn't possibly care any less about.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

likely so but what national pundits think about our little ragtag football team is a big ole yawner for me...truly something I couldn't possibly care any less about.

What pundits think/write/broadcast about our Bengals is what everyone outside hears/reads/“knows” about the team.  And that includes current and future referees, NFL decision-makers, and free agent players.

Unfortunately, a team that a referee disrespects doesn’t get the benefit of doubt and rarely has close calls go its way.  Ditto with NFL review officials [How many times have we (and the announcers) clearly seen sufficient evidence to overturn a call, only to see it upheld?]

As for free agents, some won’t even consider a team they disrespect...and for others, it will take a bigger offer to tip the scales.

So, while I want to also not care what the pundits think, I realize that it does matter.  

As as others have pointed out, they did it to themselves and the only way out of it is to start playing some good football and make sound decisions both on and off the field.  Unfortunately, it will be a long process...and one little hiccup can set back the recovery process.

I love what I hear Zac say and the drafting of high-character players, with many having been college team captains.  I want to believe that we are on the road to respectability...but we’ve got a long ways to go.

😎

John Q AverageFan will only "respect" a franchise that the NFL Mega-Media Complex feeds them the most red meat over. 

There isn't enough solid food available for the Bengals to feed the monster, thus they will be overlooked or ridiculed.  

And yet The Browns are the unproven toast of the league - though they haven't won the div since the 80's, average about 4 wins a year for the last TWENTY years, have the most ridiculous outfit in the AFC and are named after the Col Sanders of The Bengals..

If Cincy doesn't do anything the next two years I hope they steal Cleveland's lunch twice a year..

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

John Q AverageFan will only "respect" a franchise that the NFL Mega-Media Complex feeds them the most red meat over. 

There isn't enough solid food available for the Bengals to feed the monster, thus they will be overlooked or ridiculed.  

Winning solves everything. From the late 60s to the early 90s Green Bay was a dumpster fire.  Only time they talked about them was to say, "What would Vince Lombardi think of this team now?"  

Nobody and I mean nobody cared about the Saints until Sean Peyton and Brees arrived. 

The team was getting quite a bit of love in the mid 2000's with the Quitter and Chad showboating...and winning.  That all went away with Odell Thurman, Chris Henry and the Quitter debacle.

5 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

And yet The Browns are the unproven toast of the league - though they haven't won the div since the 80's, average about 4 wins a year for the last TWENTY years, have the most ridiculous outfit in the AFC and are named after the Col Sanders of The Bengals..

If Cincy doesn't do anything the next two years I hope they steal Cleveland's lunch twice a year..

The NFL loves to market their NEXT greatest thing which they think is Mahomes (deservedly) and Mayfield (not so deservedly).  Fear not, the rumblings on the mistake on the lake are growing louder as word that OBJ has only spent 1 hour in Cleveland since his signing are being leaked and Mayfield made some comments about his absence.  Dude did a hit and run at OTAs spending only a little time on the field and then left.

I have those joke cards from the 70's, wacky cards, I think. In there's a reference to the worst thing possible is being drafted by the 49rs.  I was Pats fan when they were mediocre and then really sucked for years. As stated earlier, winning solves all that perception. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah this idea that public/media opinion is somehow merit-based is pretty funny with the 7-8-1 Super Bowl favorite Browns just up the road. We're a respectable team  if & when the ESPNFL says we are. Full stop. You don't need playoff wins, hell you don't even need a winning record.

Besides, nobody hates the Bengals as much as Bengals fans. The media is just giving us what we want. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

The NFL loves to market their NEXT greatest thing which they think is Mahomes (deservedly) and Mayfield (not so deservedly).  Fear not, the rumblings on the mistake on the lake are growing louder as word that OBJ has only spent 1 hour in Cleveland since his signing are being leaked and Mayfield made some comments about his absence.  Dude did a hit and run at OTAs spending only a little time on the field and then left.

So wait...ODB, his new nickname, is acting like an unprofessional douche...who would've thought..

Because of Cincy's market size and dark decade of irrelevance the only solution is to win playoff games and give the league no other choice than to give them respect and pay attention. 

It would be interesting to see how the league would react if the Bengals won the Super Bowl. Could they still ignore them? Would they be forced to pretend to care? Or would the band wagon fill up and all of the sudden everyone would become a Bengals fan? 

55 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Because of Cincy's market size and dark decade of irrelevance the only solution is to win playoff games and give the league no other choice than to give them respect and pay attention. 

It would be interesting to see how the league would react if the Bengals won the Super Bowl. Could they still ignore them? Would they be forced to pretend to care? Or would the band wagon fill up and all of the sudden everyone would become a Bengals fan? 

I'm sure we'd get our 15 minutes when they come up for air on Brady or whoever.  

If you expect this team to ever get treated like NE, Pittsburgh or Dallas you're going to be disappointed.  Not unless Cincinnati increases in size by a factor of about 10.

5 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I have those joke cards from the 70's, wacky cards, I think. In there's a reference to the worst thing possible is being drafted by the 49rs.  I was Pats fan when they were mediocre and then really sucked for years. As stated earlier, winning solves all that perception. 

Depends on which part of the Pats' 70's you reference. They were awful the first half, then we're better than decent. Grogan, Cunningham, John Hannah...they had some very good players. I certainly noticed them...but then again, there was no ESPN at the time to tell me who was great.

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

That's not true. The turds haven't won shit and they are perceived positively. The Bengals could win the Super Bowl and they would still be treated like shit by the sports pundits. During the 5 years in a row that they made the playoffs, they were picked by most to not make the playoffs the following year. They hate Mike Brown and nothing will change that.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm sure we'd get our 15 minutes when they come up for air on Brady or whoever.  

If you expect this team to ever get treated like NE, Pittsburgh or Dallas you're going to be disappointed.  Not unless Cincinnati increases in size by a factor of about 10.

Your post would be true if the Green Bay Packers did not exist.  

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

That's not true. The turds haven't won shit and they are perceived positively. The Bengals could win the Super Bowl and they would still be treated like shit by the sports pundits. During the 5 years in a row that they made the playoffs, they were picked by most to not make the playoffs the following year. They hate Mike Brown and nothing will change that.

The Browns finished on a high note and they have marketable "Characters" on their team.  We received the same type of positive bump when LeBeau was fired,  Marvin was hired,  the team drafted the handsome USC Heisman winner with the first pick and they drafted a flashy WR named Chad.  The team almost made the playoffs the next year.  Cleveland just did almost the exact same thing for the most part.   Will it work in Cleveland?  Don't know but you can be damned sure Mayfield and ODB will give the media exactly what they want...drama.

Furthermore, 99% of pundits not associated with the Bengals don't think the team is going anywhere with Andy Dalton at QB and Mike Brown still the owner.  I don't think they actually hate Mike Brown, they just think he is a terrible owner and Andy's performance in most big games is well documented.   And you have to face the facts, the team is boring and has no marketable stars on it.  The NFL is entertainment and the team has no entertainers.

Archived