Guess Who Has An Ouchie (already)...

As new head coach Zac Taylor gets ready for the 2019 season, along with his first-time coordinators, they want to make sure they have a healthy roster going into the season. 

Easier said than done.

According to Geoff Hobson, third-year wide receiver, John Ross, missed voluntary minicamp this past month due to what he only describes as “tightness.”

The silver lining is that most of what Taylor, the play-caller for this upcoming season, is focusing on installing his new scheme, and is less worried about physicality at this point. 

Though Ross can still put his brain to work :lmao: while his muscles rest, it’s no cake walk.

“That’s the challenging part,” Ross said. “There is so much in and it’s so early. It puts a good strain on our brains when we come to camp and everybody is getting used to the different concepts.”

A huge part of the Bengals’ success will be on the dependability of their skill position players. Whenever A.J. Green, Tyler Eifert, Joe Mixon, or even Ross are out of the lineup, Andy Dalton’s job gets harder.

Hopefully, Ross was dealing with something minor. He does have a brief history of muscle injuries, so making sure that he is good and healed will be very important for the Bengals.

I honestly don't think they are depending on Ross for anything.  There is a reason they refused to trade Erickson and I think it is simply to make him the #3 if Ross can't figure it out.  A reliable guy who can learn the playbook and make a few catches in the middle of the field.   Lets not forget John Ross only caught 36% of the passes thrown his way which is terrible.  He and Auden Tate can't properly run a route or catch passes thrown to them. 

On 5/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, gupps said:

Whew. Thought it was Eifert.

Oh, I'm sure Eifert is nursing SOMETHING.  To his credit of toughness and dedication, he keeps coming back to play (part of) another year, even after some nasty injuries including this most recent one.  Too bad for him, the Bengals and us fans.  He's a stud when healthy.

9 hours ago, CinciFan said:

Oh, I'm sure Eifert is nursing SOMETHING.  To his credit of toughness and dedication, he keeps coming back to play (part of) another year, even after some nasty injuries including this most recent one.  Too bad for him, the Bengals and us fans.  He's a stud when healthy.

I feel a lot better about it now that we've drafted a potential replacement.  Still think it's throwing good money after bad, but fuggit maybe he can stay on the field this year.  Has to be his last chance here.. right?

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I feel a lot better about it now that we've drafted a potential replacement.  Still think it's throwing good money after bad, but fuggit maybe he can stay on the field this year.  Has to be his last chance here.. right?

This has GOT to be his last chance. Barring a complete season with stellar production, you cant just keep throwing money away, I agree. Nothing against the guy, he's produced when on the field. Just cant stay out there.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

In both cases Agholor and Higgins simply caught more of the passes thrown their way.  Ross had a historically low catch percentage based on number of balls throw to him (36.2%).  The reality is if he could simply get his catch rate into the 50s (understand he is running deeper routes than Boyd and Uzomah) he could rebound dramatically. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

In both cases Agholor and Higgins simply caught more of the passes thrown their way.  Ross had a historically low catch percentage based on number of balls throw to him (36.2%).  The reality is if he could simply get his catch rate into the 50s (understand he is running deeper routes than Boyd and Uzomah) he could rebound dramatically. 

I question his ability to make any kind of contested catch or finish a route in traffic.  

On 5/18/2019 at 10:17 PM, T-Dub said:

We didn't draft his replacement.  We drafted a small OL to be a blocking TE.  We have no one even close to Eifert's offensive production at TE.  If you put the greatest season of each TE on the roster together it doesn't approach Eifert.  BTW, guess who is hurt and out until camp?

https://www.bengals.com/news/fast-and-furious-as-williams-gets-nod-at-lt

20 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The two previous guys who broke out got much better QB play. If the argument is that Dalton is getting much better, it's bunk. If it's simply that Dalton is better than Driskel, fair enough.

With a healthy Green, Boyd and Eifert (I know T-Dub), and more passes thrown to Mixon,  Ross will be lucky to see 58 targets again this year. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

With a healthy Green, Boyd and Eifert (I know T-Dub), and more passes thrown to Mixon,  Ross will be lucky to see 58 targets again this year. 

I want to see them throw a few to Sample, too.

I had actually forgotten about Reggie Kelly and then I was like, every time he

went into the game they might as well have flashed "we're gonna run" on the scoreboard.

Meaning, I actually wanted to see him thrown to once in awhile.

Nothing against him at all.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

9th overall pick, 3 years later he's struggling to hold down the role of "situational slot WR".  

Anyone still care to argue how Ross is not a bust?

Archived