Guess Who Has An Ouchie (already)...

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

...and the other 57%????

If this is to make me feel better about Ross, it fails.  On the other hand, perhaps Zac will take note and have Ross at double those percentages: 40% Crossing routes, 26% Hitches, and 20% Screens.  If he (and Dalton) can maintain those passer ratings, then we’d have something.

7 hours ago, Cricket said:

...and the other 57%????

If this is to make me feel better about Ross, it fails.  On the other hand, perhaps Zac will take note and have Ross at double those percentages: 40% Crossing routes, 26% Hitches, and 20% Screens.  If he (and Dalton) can maintain those passer ratings, then we’d have something.

So out of his total season targets that'd be 4 crossing routes, then 2 each...

Get it?  Because Ross is a complete bust, LOL.  If we didn't owe him a bazillion dollars he'd be on the street.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:00 PM, T-Dub said:

9th overall pick, 3 years later he's struggling to hold down the role of "situational slot WR".  

Anyone still care to argue how Ross is not a bust?

Well, my first argument would be you don't even seem to understand what position he plays.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I knew you'd be charging in here to defend his honor  :rolleyes:

Just like I knew you'd be in here trying to denigrate him.  Question, what have you EVER done that would put you in the top 1 percent of anything??  Except for whining, of course!

2 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Just like I knew you'd be in here trying to denigrate him.  Question, what have you EVER done that would put you in the top 1 percent of anything??  Except for whining, of course!

Oh IDK, I'd say I'm easily in the top 1% of baiting your predictable ass into white-knighting for millionaire athletes.

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Oh IDK, I'd say I'm easily in the top 1% of baiting your predictable ass into white-knighting for millionaire athletes.

Average folks always bitch about their betters!  That's why you bitch about me!😂😂

Mr. Positive: Ross Focused on Having the Right Mindset

10582855_858397742355_1326131927192733682_o

Michael LaPlaca

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver John Ross (15) celebrates his touch down against the Atlanta Falcons during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Amis)

John Amis
Early on in OTAs, wide receiver John Ross has already shown the fluidity as a receiver in head coach Zac Taylor's system that made him so enticing to the Bengals.

It’s the first day of the Bengals’ organized team activities and Tyler Boyd sprints over to fellow wide receiver John Ross after making a sweet catch during 11-on-11 drills.

Boyd stops in front of Ross, flashes a bright smile, slaps his helmet and bellows loud enough for everyone on the sun drenched practice fields to hear.

“That a way baby, play fast,” Boyd says.

Fast. That is one way to describe Ross, the Bengals’ third-year wide receiver, who the team selected with its first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. Ross earned that after showcasing elite 4.22 speed at the 2016 NFL Combine. 

Early on in OTAs, Ross has already shown the fluidity as a receiver in head coach Zac Taylor's system that made him so enticing to the Bengals.

The 24-year old Ross figures to be all over the field as a threat, a decoy and a dynamic weapon who helps keep opponents on their heels and allows the Bengals’ offense to zig when the defense zags.

A look back at some of the best images for wide receiver John Ross in 2018.

Former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson hugs Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver John Ross (15) prior to a game against the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018 in Atlanta. Cincinnati won 37-36. (Logan Bowles via AP)

1 / 13

Former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson hugs Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver John Ross (15) prior to a game against the Atlanta Falcons, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018 in Atlanta. Cincinnati won 37-36. (Logan Bowles via AP)

Logan Bowles/A2018

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver John Ross (15) celebrates after scoring a touchdown against the Los Angeles Chargers during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018, in Carson, Calif. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

2 / 13

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver John Ross (15) celebrates after scoring a touchdown against the Los Angeles Chargers during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018, in Carson, Calif. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

Mark J. Terrill

Running back Joe Mixon and wide receiver John Ross take a selfie after the Bengals win over the Oakland Raiders.

13 / 13

Running back Joe Mixon and wide receiver John Ross take a selfie after the Bengals win over the Oakland Raiders.

"I love it,” Ross said about the new offense. “I think it will play to all of our strengths. We all complement each other really well in a way that will be hard to defend with everyone on the field."

The Bengals remain excited about Ross and his potential. But they also know when a player isn’t playing fast enough, most of the time he is overloaded with information. That’s where a guy like Boyd comes in to help provide a road map to success.

“With John he's still thinking,” Boyd said. “He's thinking and then he reacts. I feel like once he gets comfortable and makes plays he'll be fine. He's just got to cut it loose. He's a great player. He runs his routes clean and he's the fastest guy in the league. Once it comes to him and he can just react, it'll be like a hot knife through butter.” 

Boyd’s success story from 2018 reminds many observers of successful NFL receivers who took two-plus years to develop into productive receivers. Recently guys like Davante Adams in Green Bay, Sterling Shepard with the New York Giants and the New York Jets’ Quincy Enunwa have all made similar jumps progressing from year two to three. The 24-year old Boyd enjoyed a breakout third season in Cincinnati tallying 76 receptions for 1,028 yards and seven touchdowns.

For Boyd, experience, trust and not overthinking the game matter the most.

“Once you feel like the coaches trust you, you then can run things how you want to run it,” said Boyd. “You are supposed to run a route a certain way, but if the leverage isn't right, you have to figure out a different way to get the job done. I felt like that came to me quicker. I understood defenses better, the leverage and how to attack a guy to get where I need to be. Getting that confidence and having the coaches’ trust in me helped me play fast. Coaches want John to play fast. He's got to be in that comfort zone and cut it loose."

Similar to Boyd’s first two years with the Bengals, Ross’ early NFL career has been slow to develop. In his second season Ross caught 21 passes for 210 yards and seven touchdowns, with five of those touchdowns coming on throws six yards or less. After being limited to 17 snaps in 2017, Ross continues not to dwell on the past, but instead look toward the future with a positive outlook.

"I felt like my year one was last year because I played 17 plays my first year,” Ross said. “It was just get in there and run around a little bit. Last year I got a lot of reps and got good experience. It is almost like I got a redshirt year. I got the gist of things and now I know what to look for."

It can be a lot to ask of the team’s 2016 first round pick. But Ross' playmaking ability and versatility make him an attractive weapon in Taylor's offense.

The Bengals coaches aren’t babying Ross either. They’re doing all they can to maximize him and fully coach him up so when opponents respond, Ross and company will be able to respond right back.

Ross believes the combination of coaching, the system and an individual’s own work ethic help a lot of NFL receivers develop into top-tier players.

"I feel like it can be a little mix of experience and the system that you are in,” said Ross. “Some people are blessed to be in systems that fit them well. Others are just naturally talented. To me there's so many things that go into it, it's hard to pinpoint one thing. You've got guys like (Minnesota’s) Adam Thielen whose progression is completely different than a lot of guys and he was a top five receiver last year. It can happen for anybody at any time no matter where you are at or who you are.”

Ross definitively knows there’s an opportunity for him to enjoy great success. He’s focused this offseason on building his base not only physically, but mentally for the demands of the season. The day-by-day, positive approach has served him well with the new staff. Now, Ross is building upon that and accepting the challenge.

“It depends on how hard you work and the chances you get and how well you grasp onto the opportunity,” said Ross. “You have to be placed in the right spot, show how hard you work and be ready to do what you do day-by-day."

https://www.bengals.com/news/mr-positive-ross-focused-on-having-the-right-mindset

On 5/26/2019 at 9:14 PM, T-Dub said:

This guy has the mental constitution of a chihuahua in a thunderstorm.  They make it sound like they're gently coaxing out from under a bed on game days.

It is a simple issue:  Since day 1 Boyd has run excellent routes and catches at a very high rate.  Green catches at a high rate for someone who catches a lot of passes downfield.  Ross has  not run good routes and has not caught many of the passes thrown to him.  Unless he can significantly improve this, it is hard to believe they will make him anything other than the 3rd option on most passing plays. 

Unless our line is significantly improved, Dalton won't be making a lot of throws his way.  Teams are not going to rush 3 against our suspect line, they will bring pressure on every play and force Dalton to throw to the TE or RB coming out of the backfield.   Ross may have been a star on a team with a great o-line like the Rams but that isn't the case here. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

It is a simple issue:  Since day 1 Boyd has run excellent routes and catches at a very high rate.  Green catches at a high rate for someone who catches a lot of passes downfield.  Ross has  not run good routes and has not caught many of the passes thrown to him.  Unless he can significantly improve this, it is hard to believe they will make him anything other than the 3rd option on most passing plays. 

Unless our line is significantly improved, Dalton won't be making a lot of throws his way.  Teams are not going to rush 3 against our suspect line, they will bring pressure on every play and force Dalton to throw to the TE or RB coming out of the backfield.   Ross may have been a star on a team with a great o-line like the Rams but that isn't the case here. 

IDK man, I blame a lot of things on our OL but I'm not sure Ross can fit under that umbrella.  I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me think he's more than a situational/red zone guy in any offense, a 3rd option at best.  He's struggled mightily to accomplish that much.  I kind of sympathize in that it's not his fault he was a top 10 draft pick, but it is his fault that he seems to let it eat away at his confidence and/or concentration.  Like I said, if we didn't owe him so much money I doubt he'd survive another training camp.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

IDK man, I blame a lot of things on our OL but I'm not sure Ross can fit under that umbrella.  I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me think he's more than a situational/red zone guy in any offense, a 3rd option at best.  He's struggled mightily to accomplish that much.  I kind of sympathize in that it's not his fault he was a top 10 draft pick, but it is his fault that he seems to let it eat away at his confidence and/or concentration.  Like I said, if we didn't owe him so much money I doubt he'd survive another training camp.

I totally agree. My point about the line is that with Ross maybe the third option at this point he simply won’t get many looks especially if the defense is blitzing. He is not nearly as good as Green or Boyd and Dalton won’t pass to him if he doesn’t need to. 

Another observation from practice today. John Ross appeared to run the wrong route or at least make a wrong cut on the first snap of the first red-zone 7 on 7 drill. Dalton had a quick chat with him then next play went back to Ross for a TD.

https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1133456810332102656

44 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Another observation from practice today. John Ross appeared to run the wrong route or at least make a wrong cut on the first snap of the first red-zone 7 on 7 drill. Dalton had a quick chat with him then next play went back to Ross for a TD.

So, Andy and Ross got a “Something went wrong. Please try again” error code...

😎

7 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I wonder if Andy drew the route on his hand or did he do it on the field turf?   Maybe Dalton is forgetting to draw the route upside down and it is confusing Ross.  See how the former Bengals coach does it:

large.JoeandWalsh.jpg

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Yet another reference to Ross's fragile mental state.  We're going to see this guy running naked down Pete Rose Way waving his dick at traffic before the season's over, mark my words. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQ4bJmdZo4

Or playing a guitar that isn't plugged in to an amp.

Still, great seeing Brian Jones.

Archived