ESPN ranks Bengals' commitment to Andy Dalton 29th in NFL

By: Chris Roling | 5 hours ago

It is no secret Zac Taylor likes longtime Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton.

It also isn’t a secret 2019 is something of a prove-it year for Dalton under Taylor.

Given all the circumstances, ESPN’s Dan Graziano ranks Cincinnati’s commitment to Dalton 29th in the league:

All of the guarantees in Dalton’s contract have long been paid, so his $16 million salary this year and his $17.5 million 2020 salary are NFL funny money. The contract was signed long enough ago that Cincinnati isn’t even carrying dead signing bonus money. The Bengals could cut Dalton today and not owe him another penny.

The list seems to weigh contract status above everything else, which is why New England-Tom Brady and Los Angeles Chargers-Philip Rivers are the two spots right above Dalton.

But the point indeed stands: if Dalton falters in 2019 under a new head coach, things could get interesting.

We can pretend all we want Mike Brown publicly saying the Bengals won’t extend Dalton this offseason is the typical approach. But it was an oddly honest answer for a normally conservative owner. And the new head coach turned right around and traded up for quarterback Ryan Finley. They can be adamant Finley is a backup, but things change quickly in the NFL.

As such, Cincinnati’s commitment to Dalton is indeed loose. He’s essentially playing under a contract year in 2019 and only a return to form and a good fit with his new head coach will earn him a longer stay.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Dude it's PFF data.  Nuff said.

It had nothing to do with PFF. The article was based on current contract, future cost to resign, age, franchise status ( we have a new coach) and quality of play. Brady was ranked 28th due to age. Dak Prescott was 32nd.

Basically, they said Dalton needs to prove to Taylor and FO he deserves to be resigned which should be obvious to anyone due to current veteran QB costs. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26744212/ranking-nfl-qb-commitment-how-married-all-32-teams-their-starters

This is an interesting topic, one I'm really interested in seeing shake out. Lets get one thing straight, he is the QB of the Bengals this upcoming season, so I will be rooting for him to play out of his damn mind and take us to the promised land.

There will be a lot of factors in play for what they do with Dalton after. You have the new coach, i always hear about new coaches wanting "their guy". Zac has had nothing but praise for Dalton since he arrived, but the season's outcome paired with Dalton's individual contribution/leadership will play into that. If he is average but they win enough games to go to the playoffs (and god forbid WIN ONE), do you keep him and improve around him? If the team is average overall (think horrifically shitty defense), but Dalton performs well qb rating/stats wise, do you give him one more chance? The final year's salary is not outrageous. Many many things to think about...

I wouldn't expect a new coaching staff to say anything bad about AD knowing they'd be counting on him for at least one season.   They talked up our OT's and then drafted one in the first round.  Same goes for Dalton & the rest, ignore what they say & watch what they do.

it boils down to is he good enough to warrant what will be a very large contract based on current QB contracts. Look at Derrick Carr’s, Stafford’s and Cousins’contract to understand the real issue. 

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

it boils down to is he good enough to warrant what will be a very large contract based on current QB contracts. Look at Derrick Carr’s, Stafford’s and Cousins’contract to understand the real issue. 

Yeah I wonder what happens if he does kick ass and we end up in a Flacco situation.   If not, does it make sense to let AJ & others walk too if we're transitioning to a rookie QB anyway?  Think of the bonanza of comp picks we would get!

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I hope you are not referencing "transitioning to a (rookie) QB" to this 4th-round fill-in-the-blank-just-a-guy taken this draft? 

(Ducks before BJ throws things)

Doubtful.  I meant next year's draft with a bunch of our vets potentially hitting the FA market.

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Rodgers has played in 5 playoff gamed during that stretch going 3-2 to include playing in an NFC Championship game, Dalton hasn't played in the playoffs since 2014.

Rodgers threw 13 playoff TD passes during that 4 year stretch, Dalton has 1 career playoff TD pass. 

Rodgers had  23 more regular season TD passes, 15 less ints(on 200 more attempts)  1000 more yards passing and 582 more yards rushing during that stretch. 

Leaving out the "other" information was a bit disingenuous. 

This ranking list ranks 1st in totally useless inane rankings. Since most of us agree how pointless the power rankings are, who would possibly give a flying fuck about this?  I am interested to know how committed boy wonder is to Dalton, but this doesn't answer my question.

I want to see where Zac ranks among NFL coaches on personal appearance while introducing draft picks and the total points breakdown. I'm sure that there is one. 

21 minutes ago, Hooky said:

This ranking list ranks 1st in totally useless inane rankings. Since most of us agree how pointless the power rankings are, who would possibly give a flying fuck about this?  I am interested to know how committed boy wonder is to Dalton, but this doesn't answer my question.

I want to see where Zac ranks among NFL coaches on personal appearance while introducing draft picks and the total points breakdown. I'm sure that there is one. 

Why?  The Bengals don't owe Dalton any more money and he is in a prove it year.  It is no different than KC getting rid of 33 year old Pro-Bowl QB Alex Smith who had just had an excellent season to include playing great in their playoff loss to the Titans for Mahomes.  Our problem is we don't currently have a Mahomes on our team I don't think. 

You don't really think Dalton is already safe for the foreseeable future and the Bengals already have plans to resign him do you? 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Why?  The Bengals don't owe Dalton any more money and he is in a prove it year.  It is no different than KC getting rid of 33 year old Pro-Bowl QB Alex Smith who had just had an excellent season to include playing great in their playoff loss to the Titans for Mahomes.  Our problem is we don't currently have a Mahomes on our team I don't think. 

You don't really think Dalton is already safe for the foreseeable future and the Bengals already have plans to resign him do you? 

Nice rant, but I didn't say that I thought he was safe. I said that I don't know nor does anybody else beside Zac and this senseless ranking doesn't tell me anything. 

Just now, Hooky said:

Nice rant, but I didn't say that I thought he was safe. I said that I don't know nor does anybody else beside Zac and this senseless ranking doesn't tell me anything. 

Actually, it told me alot about the current contracts of every QB in the league and ranked them based on quality of play and status (Rookie, rookie contract, vet contract, age etc.)  I thought it was very informative. 

On 5/22/2019 at 7:33 AM, SF2 said:

Rodgers has played in 5 playoff gamed during that stretch going 3-2 to include playing in an NFC Championship game, Dalton hasn't played in the playoffs since 2014.

Rodgers threw 13 playoff TD passes during that 4 year stretch, Dalton has 1 career playoff TD pass. 

Rodgers had  23 more regular season TD passes, 15 less ints(on 200 more attempts)  1000 more yards passing and 582 more yards rushing during that stretch. 

Leaving out the "other" information was a bit disingenuous. 

They were comparing seasonal stats.

Making the playoffs is a team accomplishment.

Aaron Rodgers has been on Game of Throne more in the past 2 years than he has been to the playoffs.

I know you couldn't resist. But I wonder if another Bengals players stats were put up against a player

at their position if you would have mentioned the playoffs? 

Also, speaking of "other" information

Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million per year

Andy Dalton: $16 million per year

28 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

The current secret formula for success that everyone throws around is to get a good rookie quarterback on a rookie deal so you can spend the money around to other good players.  Doesn't Andy's contract allow for that?  It's interesting to see that Jared Goff's 2020 contract (last year of his rookie deal) will be higher than Dalton's 2020 contract (last year of his current deal).

https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

https://overthecap.com/player/andy-dalton/160/

I'm not comparing the players, just the contracts and I think it's an interesting point.

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

They were comparing seasonal stats.

Making the playoffs is a team accomplishment.

Aaron Rodgers has been on Game of Throne more in the past 2 years than he has been to the playoffs.

I know you couldn't resist. But I wonder if another Bengals players stats were put up against a player

at their position if you would have mentioned the playoffs? 

Just in case you missed it the first time:

“Rodgers had  23 more regular season TD passes, 15 less ints(on 200 more attempts)  1000 more yards passing and 582 more yards rushing during that stretch.”

Dalton is fine as long as the game starts at 1pm Eastern, it’s on a Sunday, it’s not in January and it isn’t against the Stealers. 

And paying Dalton $16 mil a year should have resulted in more money being available to sign some quality players. Would you care to point to those players? Bobby Hart? Glenn? Top notch.  Not blaming Dalton for this but it is frustrating. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, SF2 said:

This. 100% accurate and exactly what it boils down to. Dalton is signed for 2 more years 'on the cheap' in today's market. This year will give Zac a chance to determine if he can win with Dalton. If yes, we can re-signn. If no, we plan to another option after 2021.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This. 100% accurate and exactly what it boils down to. Dalton is signed for 2 more years 'on the cheap' in today's market. This year will give Zac a chance to determine if he can win with Dalton. If yes, we can re-signn. If no, we plan to another option after 2021.

You need to start planning now if there is doubt.   KC did it drafting Mahomes while still having pro bowl QB Alex Smith on the team.  

On 6/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, SF2 said:

You need to start planning now if there is doubt.   KC did it drafting Mahomes while still having pro bowl QB Alex Smith on the team.  

I dont disagree, but I would be surprised if ZT has 'decided' yet if Dalton is the man or not. 2 years is a long time so I would suspect they will figure this out during this season and then go from there

Archived