Gerald McCoy, anyone?

Count Joe Mixon among those who would like to see his team end up signing former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

The Buccaneers released the six-time Pro Bowler Monday after failing to find a trade partner. He’s still a force, but team direction and finances got in the way.

Right away, NFL players started recruiting McCoy on social media. Odell Beckham Jr., for example, wants to see him on the Cleveland Browns.

And based on the above, Mixon wouldn’t mind him on the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Bengals aren’t hurting for help inside after adding Renell Wren in the draft. But while Geno Atkins has 60.5 sacks since 2010 — McCoy has 50.5. So yes, they’d be quite fun together on the same line.

Mixon seems to agree.

Yes please.  We haven't done much to upgrade the worst defense in the NFL from last year.  We re-signed Dennard (an average corner), sign BW Webb (an average corner) and drafted a 3rd round LB.  This defense needs talent and McCoy would be a huge catch.

Pros:

- Need more talent on D

- Disruptive force on the D line

- Would potentially be the best or 2nd best player on the D

- Nice DT rotation with Atkins, McCoy, Glas, Wren, Billings

Cons:

- Probably going to cost a lot of $$ and we recently invested in Dunlap and Atkins.  I think you have to be judicious about spending by position and if we sign McCoy that's a TON of money invested in the D Line.  That wouldn't be so bad, but we'll probably be tops in the league in WR spending (and I don't think WR is a premium position where you want to spend tons of $$) as well if we re-sign AJ and Boyd.  That doesn't leave a lot of capital for other positions.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

Yes please.  We haven't done much to upgrade the worst defense in the NFL from last year.  We re-signed Dennard (an average corner), sign BW Webb (an average corner) and drafted a 3rd round LB.  This defense needs talent and McCoy would be a huge catch.

Pros:

- Need more talent on D

- Disruptive force on the D line

- Would potentially be the best or 2nd best player on the D

- Nice DT rotation with Atkins, McCoy, Glas, Wren, Billings

Cons:

- Probably going to cost a lot of $$ and we recently invested in Dunlap and Atkins.  I think you have to be judicious about spending by position and if we sign McCoy that's a TON of money invested in the D Line.  That wouldn't be so bad, but we'll probably be tops in the league in WR spending (and I don't think WR is a premium position where you want to spend tons of $$) as well if we re-sign AJ and Boyd.  That doesn't leave a lot of capital for other positions.

The defense was obviously bad, but that's not where we need help. It's the middle of the field where we got destroyed. We still need linebackers.  That's the only position that would make any sense to spend that kind of money. He would make the D better, but not fix it unless he can cover tight ends and RBs in the flats.

Besides, he's probably signing with the pats as I type this.

28 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No way in hell McCoy chooses to come play in Cincinnati....no way, no how. 

He would probably choose to come here if we paid him, but Mikey never gets in a bidding war for a player. That's why we never get high profile FAs. 

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

He would probably choose to come here if we paid him, but Mikey never gets in a bidding war for a player. That's why we never get high profile FAs. 

Gonna be interesting to see how much he and Suh get paid.  Right now the Colts, Texans, 49ers and Clowns have the most cap space.   Colts at $58mil we are at $22.5mil

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=fs

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

MAYBE if they overpay, but no way he comes here if all offers are pretty much equal.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Gonna be interesting to see how much he and Suh get paid.  Right now the Colts, Texans, 49ers and Clowns have the most cap space.   Colts at $58mil we are at $22.5mil

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=fs

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-ndamukong-suh-buccaneers-finalizing-oneyear-deal-191104270.html

He signed with the Buccaneers.

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

"bidding war" AKA paying market value

Ah yes.... "market value".   Desperate teams overpaying and cheap ass teams letting a key player walk (cough cough ... Whitworth).   Impossible to defend Mike Brown if the metric is winning in the playoffs and championships.  If the metric is sustaining and increasing ones own personal wealth the guy is a winner.   

On 5/21/2019 at 8:04 AM, Cricket said:

Not surprisingly, the Hatfields voted “NO”.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, Le Tigre said:

"You damn right"

devil-anse-feature.jpg

which side was cotton on? I forget..

Hatfields I think without looking it up... 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

My Bengal cup is rarely 'half full', but I will say this is encouraging. I don't expect we will sign McCoy but the fact we have interest at least shows we are now at least looking for players to improve the overall roster whenever they come available.

I heard the Bengals have interest in signing Khalil Mack and Patrick Mahomes as well LOL. 

Archived