Alex Redmond Suspended

Bengals’ guard Alex Redmond, who started 15 games last season, is being suspended four games for violating the NFL’s Performance-Enhancing Drug Policy, per @Kat_Terrell and me. Played last season with a torn labrum and hamstring injury, and made bad decision to try to help it.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cincinnati Bengals right guard Alex Redmond will spend the first four games of the 2019 season on the suspended list.

According to ESPN’s Katherine Terrell and Adam Schefter, Redmond received a four-game ban for a violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy.

Redmond was a starter last year but was entering the summer in a battle for the same spot under new head coach Zac Taylor. The Bengals brought on former Buffalo starter John Miller in free agency, then drafted Michael Jordan out of Ohio State to compete.

Those two, along with Trey Hopkins, figure to be in the mix over the summer.

16 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

He will still be dumb as a stump and good for false starts. Redmond is the poster child for Merv's last 3 years here, he needs to just go away.

My sediments exactly. 

56 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah, what a loser. Just like Patrick Peterson :YouDontSay-min:

Peterson is worse since he tried to mask the result and got an extra 2 games out of it.  Dude, take your 4 games and move on, you play for the Cardinals for God's sake.

Westerman could make the transition from left to right pretty easily.  I'm not sure it's the best position for him but yeah I think he's much better than Redmond.  Even in his limited playing time, Westerman has shown promise which is more than I can say for some.  If the Bengals are not going to play him, they should release him to allow for an opportunity to play.

13 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Westerman could make the transition from left to right pretty easily.  I'm not sure it's the best position for him but yeah I think he's much better than Redmond.  Even in his limited playing time, Westerman has shown promise which is more than I can say for some.  If the Bengals are not going to play him, they should release him to allow for an opportunity to play.

I just don't think it is fair to blame Redmond considering he lined up next to Bobby Hart and 8 games next to Trey Hopkins at center.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Subtracting Redmon doesn't make the team better considering they don't have a better replacement.

They actually do. Clint Boling. Word is Cordy Glenn is moving to LG with Boling to RG. Tackles will be Hart and Williams. Back up Guards are Miller, Westerman and Jordan. Redmond is expendable and this would absolutely be addition by subtraction.

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

They actually do. Clint Boling. Word is Cordy Glenn is moving to LG with Boling to RG. Tackles will be Hart and Williams. Back up Guards are Miller, Westerman and Jordan. Redmond is expendable and this would absolutely be addition by subtraction.

I don’t think a rookie and Hart at the tackle position will be better than Glenn and the rookie. Miller, Westerman and Jordan will not be better than Redmond IMHO in 2019. 

58 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don’t think a rookie and Hart at the tackle position will be better than Glenn and the rookie. Miller, Westerman bot Jordan will not be better than Redmond IMHO in 2019. 

I don't think it matters.  I doubt Redmond is going to make the team over Jordan and Sutherland.  His injury and decision to use something to try and recover so that he could compete is unfortunate, but he's probably going to be looking for a new team to play for real soon.  I do think he is still eligible to be on the practice squad this year (only has 2 accrued seasons of play), so that might be a possibility.

FWIW, Jordan appears to have been a more highly regarded draft prospect by draft analysts and Sutherland is coming in familiar with the blocking schemes as well as being a stronger blocker with room to grow / develop.  I don't think they're counting on either of those two to start this year unless there are injuries.  My guess is that they will be developing them for the year in preparation of contributing more in 2020 / 2021.  Redmond on the other hand is in the last year of his rookie contract, saves $645k (yay) and doesn't have any dead money associated with his release.  They might risk moving Sutherland to the practice squad but I doubt they risk trying that with Jordan unless he really under performs in the preseason.

If anything, the suspension will allow Redmond to be on the exempt list for 4 or 5 weeks to see if there's an injury.  Then they'll have some decisions to make after seeing what they have on the team and practice squad for depth / developmental purposes.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I don’t think a rookie and Hart at the tackle position will be better than Glenn and the rookie. Miller, Westerman bot Jordan will not be better than Redmond IMHO in 2019. 

I'm not telling you they're necessarily going to be better, I am telling you that it's likely what they are going to do. Williams, Glenn, Price, Boling, Hart. Back up Guards will be probably Miller, Westerman and Jordan.   

46 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm not telling you they're necessarily going to be better, I am telling you that it's likely what they are going to do. Williams, Glenn, Price, Boling, Hart. Back up Guards will be probably Miller, Westerman and Jordan.   

Yep. And there'll be a lot of running to the left and up the middle...

;)

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I feel confident in saying our OL will be better.  Maybe not immediately & IDK how much better, but compared to last season the bar couldn't be set much lower.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I feel confident in saying our OL will be better.  Maybe not immediately & IDK how much better, but compared to last season the bar couldn't be set much lower.

May I remind you of the 2017 Bengals offensive line?  That bar was buried in 10 feet of concrete. 

Archived