Bengals WR Tyler Boyd points to Sterling Shepard's $41M contract: 'I feel like my ability is worth that much'

20 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I would have zero issues with this deal. Zero.

Same. The only burn is if last season was a one hit wonder, but barring injuries, I just don't see him being totally a paycheck guy. He plays with too much energy and passion. Sign him up!

Since he's in the last year of a deal and not making much, the Bengals have a good deal of leverage. Because of that I'd favor going for more upfront money but less of a yearly rate. Also with an age of 24, I'd favor a 6 year deal - as 4 is too short. So something along the lines of 6 year 48 million (8 per, rather than 10). He could of course turn that down ... but one torn ACL this season and he puts everything in jeopardy. 

9 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The big hurdle is going to be AJ's contract. As he will be 31 to start the Season ... but has at least 4 good years left in him. So I'd give AJ a 4 year 60 million extension (15 per). 

You think he is going to sign pretty much the same contract he signed in 2015?  Honest question. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

You think he is going to sign pretty much the same contract he signed in 2015?  Honest question. 

Perhaps. At that time he was probably the best or 2nd best WR in the NFL, younger, and no injuries ... now he is older, been injured more, and a top 5 WR ... but not usually universally seen as being in the top 3. 

The highest salaries on a yearly basis for WR 

1. Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million
2. Antonio Brown: $17 million
3. Mike Evans: $16.5 million
4. DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2 million
5. Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million
6. Sammy Watkins: $16 million
7. Jarvis Landry: $15.98 million
8. A.J. Green: $15 million

I mean I wouldn't be against giving him 17 a year or maybe even 18 (which would make him the highest paid in the NFL), but I think all things considered 15-16 is more market value. 

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Perhaps. At that time he was probably the best or 2nd best WR in the NFL, younger, and no injuries ... now he is older, been injured more, and a top 5 WR ... but not usually universally seen as being in the top 3. 

The highest salaries on a yearly basis for WR 

1. Odell Beckham Jr.: $18 million
2. Antonio Brown: $17 million
3. Mike Evans: $16.5 million
4. DeAndre Hopkins: $16.2 million
5. Brandin Cooks: $16.2 million
6. Sammy Watkins: $16 million
7. Jarvis Landry: $15.98 million
8. A.J. Green: $15 million

I mean I wouldn't be against giving him 17 a year or maybe even 18 (which would make him the highest paid in the NFL), but I think all things considered 15-16 is more market value. 

I would love to know the win loss record and passing production with and without Green.  I am on my phone and it would be a bit difficult.  I have to think it’s pretty obvious his importance. Your points are all good about age and durability now being issues. 

We should pay Boyd. AJ is still a better player than Tyler and draws more defensive attention. But contracts are about what a player is expected to do during the contract, not the past. AJ is probably not in line for a raise. The cap has gone up but AJ is also on the 2nd half of his career. 

I do NOT support an extension for AJ....spend that money on scouting/player development/younger talent.

at some point they're going to have to get used to playing without AJ....I say rip the band-aid off and be done with it. 

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

By that logic, we'd never extend a good player. 

Green has already been extended once. The issue really is his toe. Those types of injuries typically plague a player throughout his career. 

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Because he might recover from his injuries and go back to being an elite WR. A longer term deal gives the team optionality.

The original point was to structure his contract so the Bengals can get out of it in 2020 without too much pain.  It really isn't possible to do that with a long term deal even if it is 4 years.  They would have to front load the almost the entire signing bonus which will be at least $15 mil.  The cap hit in 2020 would be something like $30 mil if they did that.  Keep in mind, they still need to sign Boyd as well.  Tagging him would make the most sense from a dollars stand point but maybe not such a good thing as far as good will to one of the best Bengals players ever. 

It is possible. Getting out of the deal without much pain doesn't mean no dead money, it means the signing bonus acceleration if the player is cut is about equal to the annual earnings. In other words the cap hit is similar. That's not hard to arrange.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

It is possible. Getting out of the deal without much pain doesn't mean no dead money, it means the signing bonus acceleration if the player is cut is about equal to the annual earnings. In other words the cap hit is similar. That's not hard to arrange.

Typically they spread the signing bonus over 4 years unless they need to spend up to the minimum cap level for that year.  Certainly could be the case, Bengals still have $20mil in cap space.  Not sure what is out there for $20 mil other than resigning Boyd and AJ.   Figure they will cut some dead wood at some point which will free up another mil or two.

Archived