NFL reportedly will be easing its alcohol policy

Drink up.

The NFL reportedly will be softening restrictions on its alcohol policy. According to Mark Burns of MorningConsult.com (via Sports Business Daily), the league has communicated to all teams a revised policy. The news came in an email sent to the 32 franchises on Tuesday.

Under the new version of the policy, beers that partner with teams will be permitted to use images of players when marketing their products.

The revised policy also will allow liquor brands to use team logos, with those distilled spirits being known as the “official” whisky, tequila, vodka, whatever of the team in question. Wines will receive similar treatment.

It’s yet another money grab by the league, and there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s revenue that the league has left on the table for far too long, and now teams and players can get paid for their connection to a product that can legally be purchased and consumed.

And maybe it’s only a matter of time before marijuana dispensaries can do the same thing.

Doesn't mean squat.  If they were relaxing the rules about 4th quarter sales or something related to in-stadium sales, then we'd be talking about "easing the alcohol policy".  But just allowing companies to purchase sponsorships tied to their alcoholic product... big deal.  Unless you're twelve, the beer/wine/booze you drink is because you prefer it, not because of a logo slapped on the outside of the bottle/can or because buying it gets me a chance to be on DillyDillyCam.  And if you ARE twelve, I wanna know how you're drinking at PBS.

I don't by a single product because it's the official "thing" of the Cincinnati Bengals, with the exception of chili.  For the 1-2 times a year I get Cincy chili I go to Gold Star because (a) I don't eat any of the varieties nearly enough to be able to tell them apart (I know, heresy!); (b) Gold Star is the one that's conveniently located on the right-side of the exit I take when I gas up on my long commute back to Indiana; and (c) Gold Star is the only chili chain that can offer Bengals swag - bobble heads, collector coins, cups, etc.... not that they've done so in a few years.

2 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Doesn't mean squat.  If they were relaxing the rules about 4th quarter sales or something related to in-stadium sales, then we'd be talking about "easing the alcohol policy".  But just allowing companies to purchase sponsorships tied to their alcoholic product... big deal.  Unless you're twelve, the beer/wine/booze you drink is because you prefer it, not because of a logo slapped on the outside of the bottle/can or because buying it gets me a chance to be on DillyDillyCam.  And if you ARE twelve, I wanna know how you're drinking at PBS.

I don't by a single product because it's the official "thing" of the Cincinnati Bengals, with the exception of chili.  For the 1-2 times a year I get Cincy chili I go to Gold Star because (a) I don't eat any of the varieties nearly enough to be able to tell them apart (I know, heresy!); (b) Gold Star is the one that's conveniently located on the right-side of the exit I take when I gas up on my long commute back to Indiana; and (c) Gold Star is the only chili chain that can offer Bengals swag - bobble heads, collector coins, cups, etc.... not that they've done so in a few years.

Gold Star is garbage.  ~Dad of a Skyline employee. 

I have to agree here. If anything they should be getting rid of the ridiculous pot policy and the modify the actual alcohol policy.  The fact that Odell Thurman was required to take mandatory DRUG tests because of a DUI is fucking crazy.  The guy wasn't driving an 18 wheeler or flying a jet full of people around, he was an NFL football player.  Sure, test for roids and performance enhancing stuff like amphetamines but booze and pot?  Ridiculous. 

Speaking as someone that grew up eating actual chili (as in containing chili peppers)  if I want that Greek ground beef stuff and can't get to Camp Washington.. I prefer Gold Star to Skyline.  It's been far less water-y in my experience.   Skyline is try-hard, always with the extra on the menu like Chili Sushi or some bullshit.  Gold Star just does what they do consistently. 

On 6/6/2019 at 6:51 PM, T-Dub said:

Speaking as someone that grew up eating actual chili (as in containing chili peppers)  if I want that Greek ground beef stuff and can't get to Camp Washington.. I prefer Gold Star to Skyline.  It's been far less water-y in my experience.   Skyline is try-hard, always with the extra on the menu like Chili Sushi or some bullshit.  Gold Star just does what they do consistently. 

I can get Skyline in Columbus and yet when I go to Cincinnati I make sure I make a stop at Gold Star.

If you've never seen a tiger, or if you have but its a rare occasion, then there's little difference to you between a Siberian tiger or a Bengal tiger or any of the other varieties of tigers.  They're all remarkable, and they're all tigers, but the differences between them and other animals (like lions and lemurs and aardvarks) is so dramatic that the subtle differences between the tigers themselves is relatively meaningless.

In a similar manner, the differences between Skyline and Gold Star and Camp Washington and all of the other Cincy-style chilis are meaningless to someone who didn't grow up eating them and who gets maybe 1-2 servings a year.  True, one has cinnamon and one has chocolate and one probably has wood shavings or ear wax or caviar or a fucking wonkabar in it - but in terms of the big picture, the differences between them (as important as they may be) are subtle and are indistinguishable to someone who isn't a connoisseur.

Like me.

So I eat Gold Star because its convenient and they sometimes give me some Bengals swag - which here in this godforsaken Colts-infested backwater I live in, is a huge plus.

I am a Skyline guy.  We always stop at Lawrenceburg In on the way home.  Sadly, its on the left side of US50 and have to fight traffic crossing both ways.

For the adventurous, there is an Ethan Becker recipe in an older Joy of Cooking cookbook.  It uses both cinnamon and chocolate.  I like it.  But I really like about any style of chili from anywhere.

Archived