1st round pick curse continues? UPDATE: Curse is real folks

The real curse is that we as fans have been conditioned to expect that injuries are expected, yet we will do nothing sand just go to war with what we have. Mike Brown will never ever dole out short term money to plug glaring weaknesses. The long term impact has always been valued over the short term goals - but the NFL is a year to year league, so the long term play rarely works out. So, I expect some scrap heap signing, lamentations that we can’t break the bank for a short term gap, and the usual lethargy set in when other teams find a way to sign replacements for their camp injuries. It’s good to be a Bengals fan when you’re a masochist...

Ominous start for Taylor to lose his first pick before training camp.  Coupled with Boling's unknown status, the o-line is looking pretty thin.  Like it or not, Glenn and Hart are locked in at OT and there's basically no one behind them.  It's not good and it could sink the season.

It's a shame for Williams but it continues the trends of Bengals 1st round picks and Alabama players getting injured as rookies.  I have no doubt he will come back strong,  but it's hard to downplay how badly this hurts the team's chances this year.

So we're back to the 2018 line, only replacing Boling with a guy that spent last season on his couch?   Oof,

Almost like betting an NFL season on one rookie LT wasn't a great plan.  Hey, at least we have Drew Sample!

If Dalton has to spend another season running for his life I expect it will be his last for us.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So we're back to the 2018 line, only replacing Boling with a guy that spent last season on his couch?   Oof,

Almost like betting an NFL season on one rookie LT wasn't a great plan.  Hey, at least we have Drew Sample!

If Dalton has to spend another season running for his life I expect it will be his last for us.

Now wait a minute: Fresh and New Offense will adjust. You'll see. :AreYouSerious2-min:

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Almost like betting an NFL season on one rookie LT and Cordy Glenn playing 16 games wasn't a great plan.  Hey, at least we have Drew Sample!

Modified for added effect.

49 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The fact that this has happened in some capacity to all of our 1st round pics going back to Dennard makes me believe it isnt a case of bad luck but of structural issues

My guess would have been Williams was already damaged goods but he did 28 reps at the combine.  I would assume that would not be possible with that kind of damage but I ain't a real doctor.  ~Team Eeyore.

42 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The fact that this has happened in some capacity to all of our 1st round pics going back to Dennard makes me believe it isnt a case of bad luck but of structural issues

They have a history of drafting players with known injuries.  Ced and Ross were hurt before the draft and the Bengals still drafted them in the first round.  

However, you have to question the medical staff and their ability to identify and project potential injuries. 

Archived