1st round pick curse continues? UPDATE: Curse is real folks

I saw the article about Williams using the shoulder strap at Alabama and it's hard to imagine he didn't have at least a partial tear when the Bengals drafted him.  It makes no sense that the labrum was 100% and Williams injured it in a drill without pads.  Maybe they didn't catch it at the combine or maybe they knew and hoped it would hold up.  Either way they were wrong and it cost them yet again with their first round pick.

OK...semi-serious here for a bit: 

Let's say Boling is done too. Now you have Glenn/Hart at T. Price will stay where he is--barring some oddball move by the Bully to put Hopkins there. Two guard slots to fill. Miller is most likely going to be on the right side. Don't write in the left side too fast: if this is indeed all Fresh and New, then why not Westerman? He has always played well when given the chance--now would be the time (and Numbers would be thrilled too).

There is no depth at tackle. With no Boling to slide around, and no other guards who can imitate a tackle, then this is a real problem. Perkins is a total unknown. Did that Ohio State guy ever play the position? Think he did, but can't recall. Sign any swinging dick who has played it, I guess--otherwise just hope Glenn and Hart find a full 16 in them. 

17 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK...semi-serious here for a bit: 

Let's say Boling is done too. Now you have Glenn/Hart at T. Price will stay where he is--barring some oddball move by the Bully to put Hopkins there. Two guard slots to fill. Miller is most likely going to be on the right side. Don't write in the left side too fast: if this is indeed all Fresh and New, then why not Westerman? He has always played well when given the chance--now would be the time (and Numbers would be thrilled too).

There is no depth at tackle. With no Boling to slide around, and no other guards who can imitate a tackle, then this is a real problem. Perkins is a total unknown. Did that Ohio State guy ever play the position? Think he did, but can't recall. Sign any swinging dick who has played it, I guess--otherwise just hope Glenn and Hart find a full 16 in them. 

Yeah I do think Price should be better but he didn't make it through the season, either.   What bothers me is the complacency of once again hanging everything on rookies, average-at-best vets, and guys that have been consistently injured (or a combination of those things.)  I don't think ownership really gives a shit about winning so long as the checks keep coming.

1-for-a-championship.jpg

All that aside, is there some line combination--be it perfect health, or just perfect mix--which can make it work? 

Just was looking at Jordan's college resume. All guard play, and a year at center. No mention of tackle experience--most just say he "has the frame for it". Chalk him off the list.

So, either Glenn/Hart play every game...Perkins comes out of nowhere...or look for the best available veteran swinging dick they can find. The NFL always has parcels of unused bodies around, so shouldn't be hard to find one. 

13 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-north-notes-bengals-browns-ravens-22/

A claim that Williams was injured last season

tough to do 28 reps @ 225 with a torn labrum...people are going way overboard here, IMO.

the way I look at it, if one injury to a rookie OT screws up the entire position group there are obviously bigger issues at play. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

tough to do 28 reps @ 225 with a torn labrum...people are going way overboard here, IMO.

the way I look at it, if one injury to a rookie OT screws up the entire position group there are obviously bigger issues at play. 

I agree but maybe there was some type of preexisting condition with labrum because he tore it doing a lot of light work.

The Bengals definitely should have drafted 2 OT's because there is no depth and now only 1 average OT, with a history of injuries, on the roster. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

All that aside, is there some line combination--be it perfect health, or just perfect mix--which can make it work? 

Just was looking at Jordan's college resume. All guard play, and a year at center. No mention of tackle experience--most just say he "has the frame for it". Chalk him off the list.

So, either Glenn/Hart play every game...Perkins comes out of nowhere...or look for the best available veteran swinging dick they can find. The NFL always has parcels of unused bodies around, so shouldn't be hard to find one. 

There is another option but everyone  Including the Bengals can not see the answer.  You of all people LT know exactly who I am referring 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

The issue has been played out for the past 2 years. One guy was not going to fix it

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Jordan was recruited as a tackle.  But he was so good he was one of their best 5 linemen so they put him in at LG.

6 hours ago, Numbers said:

There is another option but everyone  Including the Bengals can not see the answer.  You of all people LT know exactly who I am referring 

Karnak is seeing the numbers 6 and 3...is that close? A fine option indeed! 

Went back to his early days bio--speaking of college recruitment:

"Named the nation's No. 2 offensive tackle"

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Karnak is seeing the numbers 6 and 3...is that close? A fine option indeed! 

Went back to his early days bio--speaking of college recruitment:

"Named the nation's No. 2 offensive tackle"

Westerman?? He was a smallish guard in college, not that there are any other options.  I still think Jermey Parnell makes a lot of sense given the severity of the situation.  Maybe Donald Penn on a 1 year or Ryan Schraeder. We need bodies.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/gallery/jonah-williams-season-ending-injury-free-agents-trades-bengals/

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Westerman?? He was a smallish guard in college, not that there are any other options.  I still think Jermey Parnell makes a lot of sense given the severity of the situation.  Maybe Donald Penn on a 1 year or Ryan Schraeder. We need bodies.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/gallery/jonah-williams-season-ending-injury-free-agents-trades-bengals/

The inference was Westerman at G  not T. Just adding that he was a highly-rated tackle coming out of HS. 

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

But...as many have also alluded--it was lost as a season anyway--what added disaster was added by not having Jonah Williams? 

Just wanted him to get a full season under his belt and allow Dalton a little more time to prove he can or can not be the guy in the new offense.  Maybe see Finley in there behind an OK line.   A better o line lets the new coach try some shit he cant if he has to bring in another guy to block.

11 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The inference was Westerman at G  not T. Just adding that he was a highly-rated tackle coming out of HS. 

That makes sense.  Glenn at LT, Andre Smith err Bobby Hart at RT and Westerman at LG.  Got it. 

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would expect the usual half-assed bargain bin FA's that don't 100% concede the season as lost but don't really improve the situation, either.

As is tradition.

Jake Fisher, he already knows where to park his car.

Archived