Clint Boling officially retires

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

My guess? They were on a tight schedule, I'm not sure how much college scouting they got to take part in vs Tobin & the extended Brown family.   Redshirting a top draft pick due to pre-existing injury does fit the old pattern.  "Boy Wonder" is operating under the same system that undermined & frustrated Marvin.  He had to go, it was long overdue, but I attribute most of his problems to simple burnout.   The change needs to come from the top & hiring a new coach was only the start of that process.  Going into the 2019 with a diminished version of last year's OL is a commitment to lackluster "competitive" football.

Good guess. But I'm not going to buy the "geez, he was a coach in the SB and didn't get to get a month to prep for a combine" stuff. There were still pro days, private workouts, all that--and if this was "their guy" all along...then he would have his iPad focused on Williams' toenail clippings. That is, if he is really the detail-oriented wunderkind he is supposed to be. 

And that still doesn't take Bully boy off the hook either. He of the great Texas A&M tough guy slogans, would certainly have analyzed Jonah's shoulder strengths? 

Too easy to toss this all on Upstairs. 

Drafting injured players is simply unacceptable in the first round.   A torn labrum isn't going to heal itself.   The scouts should have known he was injured since other teams did.  And no Anthony Munoz nonsense please, he had already healed and played 16 games his first year.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Why didn't Bully Boy...or is he a "scout" too? 

I am with you on this.  The first round pick has to be a day 1 starter in my mind (other than QB).  They are too expensive with guaranteed contracts to not be 100% certain they will be there opening day.  If other teams had him off the board because they knew of the injury (has that been proven?) then our entire organization dropped the ball on this, particularly the scouts, medical staff and position coach. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am with you on this.  The first round pick has to be a day 1 starter in my mind (other than QB).  They are too expensive with guaranteed contracts to not be 100% certain they will be there opening day.  If other teams had him off the board because they knew of the injury (has that been proven?) then our entire organization dropped the ball on this, particularly the scouts, medical staff and position coach. 

I don't see any indication in any scouting reports, in any pre draft articles, in any info anywhere that there was any concern about his shoulder.  

Archived