Clint Boling officially retires

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

I was actually talking about the O-line and not just Guard.

And while I admit the LB corps is pretty weak, I would argue

(actually this is my only attempt at arguing) that this team would

win more games with good to great O-line play over good to great LB play.

100% correct.  The unfortunate thing is you won't have to worry about either being very good this season. 

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I was actually talking about the O-line and not just Guard.

And while I admit the LB corps is pretty weak, I would argue

(actually this is my only attempt at arguing) that this team would

win more games with good to great O-line play over good to great LB play.

The 2015 draft class will haunt this team for years to come.

Nothing against Boling, he was always a solid player here, but losing him doesn't really move the needle much one way or another IMO.

He was solid but not spectacular in any way. If Westerman were to be given the job and actually starts all 16 games, they very well might end up improving at that spot when it's all said and done.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Nothing against Boling, he was always a solid player here, but losing him doesn't really move the needle much one way or another IMO.

He was solid but not spectacular in any way. If Westerman were to be given the job and actually starts all 16 games, they very well might end up improving at that spot when it's all said and done.

Just my 2 cents.

True enough.

Also true; Boling was the most proven guy on the roster. 

So while not exactly great in the overall ratings, by 2019 Bengals standards..

I think the loss of Williams hurts more than Boling retiring.  Boling played well for most of his career but hadn't been his best for the past couple years.   There are several options at LG to replace him and it's definitely possible it could be an upgrade.  Losing Williams is worse because they don't have anyone behind him.   Glenn is an experienced LT as an immediate replacement, but they have no depth behind either starting OT.

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think the loss of Williams hurts more than Boling retiring.  Boling played well for most of his career but hadn't been his best for the past couple years.   There are several options at LG to replace him and it's definitely possible it could be an upgrade.  Losing Williams is worse because they don't have anyone behind him.   Glenn is an experienced LT as an immediate replacement, but they have no depth behind either starting OT.

Very true.

I'm not sure we have anyone worth a fiddler's damn to replace in the first place at OT.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Very true.

I'm not sure we have anyone worth a fiddler's damn to replace in the first place at OT.

I disagree, Boling was a proven player.  Williams hasn't proven shit, other than an ability to somehow sustain a season-ending injury during a walk-through months before the season even starts.  This is not promising.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I disagree, Boling was a proven player.  Williams hasn't proven shit, other than an ability to somehow sustain a season-ending injury during a walk-through months before the season even starts.  This is not promising.

No, no, no...

I'm agreeing with you.  Boling was a good player and his loss will be sorely felt.

What I was implying, or trying to, is that I don't have a lot of faith in either Glenn or Hart

for an entire season or less much less looking for backups.

Also, dare I say it?, I am wondering if Jonah's injury will affect the rest or his career or end it altogether.

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I don't have a lot of faith in either Glenn or Hart

for an entire season or less much less looking for backups.

Also, dare I say it?, I am wondering if Jonah's injury will affect the rest or his career or end it altogether.

Yeah, agree on both counts.  OTOH it could be a blessing in disguise for Williams, not having the pressure of expecting him to be the savior of a shit OL as a rookie LT.  Felt the same way about Price last year; he didn't look any worse than a rookie center on a garbage line but people were acting like he's a bust for not immediately fixing everything single-handedly. 

My concern was the Hart contract and trying to fix everything through the draft.  They've dug too big a hole to rely solely on that now.

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Williams likely injured his labrum in college and played through it with a strap/harness.  Shame on the team for not catching it or thinking he could continue to play with the injury.  Labrum surgery is fairly common and there's no reason he shouldn't be fully recovered next year.  

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Williams likely injured his labrum in college and played through it with a strap/harness.  Shame on the team for not catching it or thinking he could continue to play with the injury.  Labrum surgery is fairly common and there's no reason he shouldn't be fully recovered next year.  

Reassuring as far as him turning into an NFL LT, not so much for the Bengals FO.   Not sure which is worse; not knowing or knowing and still rolling the dice on an injured OT.. At the top of the first round.. Again.  No, the second one is definitely worse.  For a franchise accused of being cheap they sure do seem to enjoy paying people's medical bills.  I know a few that could use that & I'm sure they could follow along in meetings when they're not in the Jacuzzi.  

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Assuming it was actually known he had a pre-existing injury (placing some blame on Jonah for full disclosure/transparency), then besides the usual medical staff scapegoats, where was Boy Wonder and the Bully in all of this? 

All good questions.  If the guy was wearing a harness in college, this should have been well documented or at least known by a capable scouting department.  Again, the guy did pretty well at the combine but I have no idea if you can still bench with a torn labrium. 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

where was Boy Wonder and the Bully in all of this? 

You do realize that no one here thinks the guy is "boy wonder", right? I mean he could easily faceplant and I'm pretty sure none of us would really care all that much. The only thing we all REALLY cared about was getting rid of Marvin and his utterly stale ways.

New blood was desperately needed and it's exactly what we got. We now all wait and see going forward how it plays out.

But at least it's not status quo.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

The question remains however.

My guess? They were on a tight schedule, I'm not sure how much college scouting they got to take part in vs Tobin & the extended Brown family.   Redshirting a top draft pick due to pre-existing injury does fit the old pattern.  "Boy Wonder" is operating under the same system that undermined & frustrated Marvin.  He had to go, it was long overdue, but I attribute most of his problems to simple burnout.   The change needs to come from the top & hiring a new coach was only the start of that process.  Going into the 2019 with a diminished version of last year's OL is a commitment to lackluster "competitive" football.

I wouldn't put too much on the coaching staff for Williams' injury.  They might have input for the draft, but final call goes to the front office.  He was apparently healthy enough to participate in the combine but other teams allegedly flagged his shoulder so it's tough to know the severity of the injury prior to the draft.  That also might explain why he dropped lower than some expected in the draft.  The Bengals might have thought he could manage it with the strap/harness he used at Alabama.  Or maybe he should have undergone surgery immediately after being picked to try to salvage something this season. Doubt we'll get the truth, but it's not crazy to think Williams concealed the extent of the injury in order to get drafted higher.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The question remains however.

I mean 3 weeks before the combine Zac Taylor was coaching in a SB with the Rams. 

Given that, Duke Tobin is probably the guy that should be getting the stink-eye in this whole affair...since, obviously, someone must be stink-eyed.

Archived