I subscribe. It is worth it if you follow multiple sports. Articles and insights in general are very good. It appears to becoming the 'next' best place to go for sports information.

The nice part of it, you can select the teams and leagues you follow so you get all the articles on those at the top of your page. Can't say the Bengal info specifically has been great so far but it has been for other teams and leagues I follow. 

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I subscribe. It is worth it if you follow multiple sports. Articles and insights in general are very good. It appears to becoming the 'next' best place to go for sports information.

The nice part of it, you can select the teams and leagues you follow so you get all the articles on those at the top of your page. Can't say the Bengal info specifically has been great so far but it has been for other teams and leagues I follow. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Speaking of the Athletic, today they had an article  that was a survey of 55 NFL coaches/executives ranking all starting QB's. The ranks fell into Tier 1 - 4. Dalton was ranked 22nd (Tier 3)  

The comments were like  'he is what he is' "jack of all trades but master of none'. 

jack of or jack off?

Paul Dehner and Jay Morrison are there now and the Bengals coverage is about to be insanely good when camp gets here. Even in the meantime, the articles have been really good on the Bengals. Joe Goodberry also writes on the Bengals there, and his film breakdown pieces are really fantastic (as was his draft stuff). 

Just on Bengals stuff alone it is worth the price - and if you have favorite teams in other leagues it is most definitely worth it. I get really good Reds, Grizzlies, UC and Buckeyes coverage there on top of the Bengals stuff and that is not even mentioning all the national writers they have scooped up. Frankly, it's a bargain at the price.

ETA: Dehner's piece today, for instance, on what Joe Kelly has been up to since retirement is an amazing read. 

For instance, this is a particularly good piece today from both Morrison and Dehner:

https://theathletic.com/1094569/2019/07/25/the-next-tyler-boyd-taking-stock-of-the-most-likely-bengals-to-break-out/

Here's a taste of the much longer article:

Editor’s note: This is the fifth of a five-part series in which Paul Dehner Jr. and Jay Morrison rank different elements pertaining to the Bengals’ history and future. For a look back at the entire series, here are the four previous editions:

Success for the 2019 Bengals will largely depend on the ascension of their young nucleus. Injuries and lack of opportunity blocked the path for a number of the team’s unproven players, but they need a couple of more players to jump a production level just as Tyler Boyd did last year.

Who is most likely to fit that mold? Why would it happen? What do members of the organization central to their development have to say about their growth?

With the season on the brink of beginning with the open of training camp on Saturday, here’s the ranking of the Bengals most likely to take the jump in 2019.

1. CB William Jackson III

Contract status: Signed through 2020 season via fifth-year option.

Key stat: Picked off Aaron Rodgers for a TD the third game of his career and hasn’t had an interception since.

Club thoughts: “I think he’s on course (to be a Pro Bowler). In my eyes, it’s the toughest position to play. Both because what you’re asked to do and the rules they have to play under. He’s got all the ability. It’s just a matter of being consistent and doing it day in and day out.” – defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo on Tuesday.

Jay Morrison (Jay’s ranking: 1): Jackson posted elite Pro Football Focus numbers in his first year as a starter in 2017, then everyone dropped off defensively due to the discombobulation last year. But there’s not a person inside the organization – and probably not many outside the walls of Paul Brown Stadium – who doesn’t think Jackson is a future star. It’s his third year as a starter. His new coordinator has a background coaching DBs. And he’s going to be allowed to travel rather than play one side. Everything is aligned for a breakout year for Jackson.

Paul Dehner Jr. (1): Something has always been off for WJ3. Rookie year it was the injury. Second season was lack of playing time despite dominating when in the game. Last year it was a trainwreck at defensive coordinator and multiple dropped interceptions. The pieces are all there. Jackson looks and plays like the real deal. He just needs those pieces to come together for one season and you could easily see him playing in the Pro Bowl or making an All-Pro team.

2. OL Christian Westerman

Contract status: Free agent after this year.

Key stat: Only 186 offensive snaps in three seasons.

Club thoughts: “I think he’s a big, strong kid, and I think that’s what you’re looking for at guards a lot. I think he had some struggles in pass protection last year when he played, but he’s a good, strong, solid player that I’m hoping with a bunch of reps and a bunch of competition he kind of rises. He’ll make his role, and if he rises to the top then you’ll see him playing for us.” – offensive coordinator Brian Callahan on Tuesday.

JM (5): The opportunity is (finally) there. The question becomes “is the talent?” The former staff saw something in Westerman that bothered them, otherwise, how can you explain him never getting a shot when the offensive line was one of the weaker position groups on the team the last two years? A fresh start can do wonders for a player. And sometimes it doesn’t have to involve a forwarding address.

PDJ (3): There seems to be concern about Westerman’s aptitude that kept him off the field the past few years. I don’t know about all that, but I do know when he’s played he appears to be a force. I can tell you this, he has believers in the front office. I was surprised to hear Callahan ding Westerman’s pass blocking last year, but necessity looks to have finally forced the Bengals coaches to give Westerman a real look.

That piece goes on to list 10 in the same format - the ranking, club quote, and then thoughts from Dehner and Morrison. You get quality stuff like this from pretty much all corners of the site, but if you are Bengals only, it's really solid now.

Archived