Bengals near the bottom in training camp power rankings

Power rankings haven’t been kind to the Cincinanti Bengals this offseason.

Granted, last year was a lost season for a variety of seasons. The optimism from the fanbase in the greater Cincinnati area after a long-awaited change at head coach wasn’t going to spread nationally though — power rankings are a reflection of on-field results more than anything, not hypotheticals.

As such, it isn’t too surprising to see the Bengals land 27th in new power rankings from Touchdown Wire’s Doug Farrar:

Marvin Lewis will probably never get the credit he deserves for transforming the Bengals from one of the worst-run organizations in the NFL to a team with consistent credibility. That’s what happens when you coach a team for 16 seasons and you never win a playoff game. Lewis was replaced by Zac Taylor, the former Sean McVay assistant who brings expansive ideas to an offense that will struggle to execute them. The offensive line is a real problem, especially after tackle Jonah Williams suffered a season-ending shoulder injury before the first-rounder from Alabama could get his NFL career going. Andy Dalton’s ceiling is made of concrete, and while the hope is that Taylor can do for Dalton what Taylor and McVay did for Jared Goff, it’s a big ask when the front five has this many question marks.

RELATED

Bengals rookies who could end up surprising at training camp

The offensive line up front should terrify Bengals fans no matter how positive things seem with a new era underway.

Not only is the first-round offensive tackle lost for the season, the team’s best lineman, Clint Boling, just retired. All this in the foreground overshadows the fact Billy Price struggled at center last year when healthy and the new coaching staff is adamant it can somehow revive the career of Bobby Hart on the right edge.

Maybe that comes off as a little too negative, but the league’s worst offensive line from a season ago mostly returns due to unfortunate circumstances and odd choices.

Meaning, Zac Taylor’s scheme is going to have to do some incredible work to compensate. If it can, the Bengals won’t hang near the cellar of power rankings for long.

I don't think there is very much to argue with. Between not being very good last year and a new coaching staff this year what do you  expect? I still harbored  some hope before the Oline imploded but now? Meh, just try not to get Andy killed.

Maybe the D can channel the 2000 Ravens? Hmmmmm  :39:

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Who the hell is Doug Farrar...and should his monotonous media bleating be taken any more seriously than any other media squawking head's bleating? 

What exactly did you expect him to write?  That a team that went 6-10 and had the worst defense in the league was going to win the division?  Keep in mind, the club added one possible new starter to the defensive unit. 

A team who hasn’t added a single new player (one that will play this year) to a bad offensive line will somehow play far better?  That Andy Dalton, who was 5-6 last year behind this awesome line will somehow dramatically raise his game? That would be hard considering he played well last year. 

That the new HC,OC and DC who have almost zero time in any of those roles will turn the club around with a subpar roster?  

The offense might be a little better at first but it will take only one injury to a key player to stop that.  We don’t even have a backup QB or any passable backups on the o-line. 

You miss my point: name the "journalist", and the same monotonous blah-blah comes out. I looked over the rest of this equally monotonous "Power Ranking", and the same blah-blah was repeated for every other team--good and bad. The only sort of surprise, was his choice of the Rats in the Top 10--but even that had the usual reasoning: their annual "really good defense" blah-blah.

No one really writes anymore....just try to out "Power Rank" each other. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

You miss my point: name the "journalist", and the same monotonous blah-blah comes out. I looked over the rest of this equally monotonous "Power Ranking", and the same blah-blah was repeated for every other team--good and bad. The only sort of surprise, was his choice of the Rats in the Top 10--but even that had the usual reasoning: their annual "really good defense" blah-blah.

No one really writes anymore....just try to out "Power Rank" each other. 

I don't disagree.   They typically regurgitate last year's final rankings, go out on the limb for maybe one or two teams to try and differentiate themselves and call it a day.  Maybe the Rats were his reach team which, considering they have a starting QB who averaged 75 yards passing a game, is a big reach.  Granted they had the #1 defense but even if you add in Jackson's rushing yards, he only accounted for 119 yards per game which can't win you shit in today's NFL.   Even when Denver won their last SB with the best defense a broken down Peyton Manning accounted for 224 yards a game. 

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

...A team who hasn’t added a single new player (one that will play this year) to a bad offensive line...

Is Miller hurt?  Is the guard drafted out of Ohio State hurt?  Either I missed something, or you did...or you didn’t want facts to get in the way. 

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

aaaaltlawn.jpg

7 hours ago, Cricket said:

Is Miller hurt?  Is the guard drafted out of Ohio State hurt?  Either I missed something, or you did...or you didn’t want facts to get in the way. 

Why does it matter if Miller is hurt? He is just another below average OL; he is a nobody; the OL depth is filled with then

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Why does it matter if Miller is hurt? He is just another below average OL; he is a nobody; the OL depth is filled with then

It it probably won’t matter.  Did you read the quote in my post? My post was in reply to SF2’s assertion that the Bengals haven’t added “a single new player (one that will play this year) to a bad offensive line.”  

Unless Miller and the guard from OSU are (or will be) hurt and out for the season, SF2’s assertion is simply not true, correct?

I would hope that Trump-like tactics of just making statements that included false information would not permeate into the general population, because when a person does that, it’s hard to believe anything he/she says.

4 hours ago, Cricket said:

It it probably won’t matter.  Did you read the quote in my post? My post was in reply to SF2’s assertion that the Bengals haven’t added “a single new player (one that will play this year) to a bad offensive line.”  

Unless Miller and the guard from OSU are (or will be) hurt and out for the season, SF2’s assertion is simply not true, correct?

I would hope that Trump-like tactics of just making statements that included false information would not permeate into the general population, because when a person does that, it’s hard to believe anything he/she says.

You are correct, we did add some bodies to the Oline but sorry but John Miller, a player cast off from the Bills and a 4th round guard from Ohio State bring almost nothing to this line.   Miller is here only because Redmond is suspended for 4 games. Miller is nothing more than filler. Sure he will get some snaps but it is pretty much a status quo move.  

The Bills have 23 mil in cap space, the fact they didn't re-sign him is all you need to know.  16.5 mil over 3 years for a good 25 year old guard  is cheap, so obviously the Bills don't think he is very good.   It is a typical Bengals FA move, over pay for players other teams don't see value in and fill holes with mediocrity at best. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

You are correct, we did add some bodies to the Oline but sorry but John Miller, a player cast off from the Bills and a 4th round guard from Ohio State bring almost nothing to this line.   Miller is here only because Redmond is suspended for 4 games. Miller is nothing more than filler. Sure he will get some snaps but it is pretty much a status quo move.  

The Bills have 23 mil in cap space, the fact they didn't re-sign him is all you need to know.  16.5 mil over 3 years for a good 25 year old guard  is cheap, so obviously the Bills don't think he is very good.   It is a typical Bengals FA move, over pay for players other teams don't see value in and fill holes with mediocrity at best. 

...which does not equal "hasn’t added a single new player (one that will play this year) to a bad offensive line."

You can talk/argue about the quality (or lack thereof) of the players they added to the O-line, but saying that they didn't add "a single new player" is just wrong.  With all of the valid reasons for bashing the Bengals (and Lord knows there are plenty), why throw in a falsehood?  It diminishes any effective point/argument that you make...and may make some begin to wonder just how many of your statements are true. 

3 minutes ago, Cricket said:

...which does not equal "hasn’t added a single new player (one that will play this year) to a bad offensive line."

You can talk/argue about the quality (or lack thereof) of the players they added to the O-line, but saying that they didn't add "a single new player" is just wrong.  With all of the valid reasons for bashing the Bengals (and Lord knows there are plenty), why throw in a falsehood?  It diminishes any effective point/argument that you make...and may make some begin to wonder just how many of your statements are true. 

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the first 3 words in my response were, "YOU ARE CORRECT".    Pretty much the same as me saying, "I was wrong" which I was.  Not sure why you need to take a second victory lap.

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure the first 3 words in my response were, "YOU ARE CORRECT".    Pretty much the same as me saying, "I was wrong" which I was.  

Got it.  A period after those three words would have made things clearer...at least to me. 

Archived