Bengals extend Tyler Boyd 4 yrs $43M

Goodbye AJ Green or Andy Dalton.

Unless the Bengals plan on spending $35 mil a year at the WR position and Dalton signs a huge hometown discount I can't see keeping both.  We are talking around $55 to $60 mil for a tier 2 to 3 QB and the wide receivers I am guessing, if both come back next year.   Tags for next year around $17.5 mil at WR and $25mil at QB. 

I guess it is doable if your QB is on a rookie contract like KC or Cleveland. Shits about to get interesting

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Unless the Bengals plan on spending $35 mil a year at the WR position and Dalton signs a huge hometown discount I can't see keeping both.  We are talking around $55 to $60 mil for a tier 2 to 3 QB and the wide receivers I am guessing, if both come back next year.   Tags for next year around $17.5 mil at WR and $25mil at QB. 

I guess it is doable if your QB is on a rookie contract like KC or Cleveland. Shits about to get interesting

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Dalton's seat just got to lava temperature.   Keep in mind, Taylor came from the QB rookie contract school of winning. 

He came from the tag-along-with-McVay school of QB development. 

Let me guess: you are either in favor of tank-a-palooza--which guarantees nothing (not even St. Tua), the 4th round OTA phenom, or just wishing to prove yourself 50% correct on predictions?  

25 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He came from the tag-along-with-McVay school of QB development. 

Let me guess: you are either in favor of tank-a-palooza--which guarantees nothing (not even St. Tua), the 4th round OTA phenom, or just wishing to prove yourself 50% correct on predictions?  

Actually, I have no idea what to do.  If Dalton sucked or was a top 10 QB this would be easier. 

The surround him with talent might work if that talent included o lineman. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

It's easily doable.  Boyd was only making a mil this year, so it's a 5 yr/44 mill deal.  Even if you pay AJ and Andy twenty, you're at 48 mill.  That only a Quarter of the cap.  And my guess is that they structure it so that it's only about 38-40 for all three at any one time.

This is a good deal. Boyd is better than Sterling Shepard, the contract he was using as a comp.

The team can easily afford Boyd, AJ, and Dalton if they wish. AJ is on the downside of his career and not really in line for a big raise. Neither is Dalton. Green might get 16-17 mil avg on his new deal and Dalton about 20. Green can easily be tagged for 2020 if need be. Dalton certainly isn't worth the QB tag and can be replaced. Passing on better QBs than Dalton to take Ross or Williams is what is holding the Bengals back. If we had Mahomes or Watson or Haskins, we'd be much better off, not just in cap terms.

As someone mentioned, it is rare that you find a very productive no. 2 receiver, who is willing to say with his current team, in the same role, rather than become a No. 1 and receive more money somewhere else.

We have seen in the pass that this normally doesn't pan out.

Housh, Marvin Jones, Dwayne Bowe, and Mike Wallace, are prime examples.

20 hours ago, kennethmw said:

It's easily doable.  Boyd was only making a mil this year, so it's a 5 yr/44 mill deal.  Even if you pay AJ and Andy twenty, you're at 48 mill.  That only a Quarter of the cap.  And my guess is that they structure it so that it's only about 38-40 for all three at any one time.

I was looking more at next year.    Don't forget that we have a #9 pick $4.67mil  a year guaranteed guy on our roster as well. Boyd's contract with Green getting signed at a reasonable level would mean the Bengals would be spending at the top of the league next year cap wise.  Figure $11 for Boyd, $18 for Green, $5.44 for Ross (guaranteed), Errickson and so on.   Looking $38 mil at WR alone.  

So you gotta start thinking about what to do at QB.  Based on early reports (yeah, way early) this Finley guy sounds like a dog.  Keep in mind, I never heard anyone say Dalton looked bad once OTAs started, quite the contrary.  So it seems we don't have a backup plan yet for Dalton in a contract season.   Tagging him next year would cost probably $26mil.  It seems like the obvious choice if you want him around another year unless he simply has a blow out or blow chunks season.

Its really a catch 22. Give Dalton time to throw the ball and he a good QB.  Even behind the crap lines the last 2 years he still had a rating in the high 80s.  No rookie would have survived the last 2 years and played as well as Andy did IMHO.     Look at the top rated offensive lines (June 28, 2019)  in the league and behind them are very successful QBs in most cases. Saints, Patriots, Stealers, Colts, Packers and Rams.  

large.Olinerankings.PNG

http://thehuddle.com/2019/06/28/2019-offensive-line-rankings/

Archived